The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: ideas on baffle in kiln  (Read 318 times)

Offline xlogger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
ideas on baffle in kiln
« on: February 14, 2019, 05:13:00 AM »
In my DH kiln I've been using 4 light 4x8 insulation boards to angle across my the top of the wood for fan flow, 14 ft long inside length. I was thinking about maybe getting a tarp that would roll up when changing out loads for quicker and maybe work better than what I've been doing. I don't have a picture now since its loaded. Not sure how it would work and stay tight to side walls, anyone try this or have a better idea?
Across the back of the kiln I have a shelf about 5 1/2 tall that the 4 extra fans are resting in that I somehow might attach the tarp to and maybe put a long 2x2 the length of the kiln attached to other end of tarp to roll up on and hold weigh to keep it in place at end of stack near the door.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
Re: ideas on baffle in kiln
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 07:11:16 AM »
I use a tarp in two on my kilns, they work pretty well.  One is exactly as you describe, a 2x4 attached to the bottom, rolled up and attached with bungee while loading and unloading.  The other are very heavy canvas tarps, that drop down and lay on the stack.  Canvas is very heavy but will degrade and tear very easily after a couple years.  Plastic is very light but needs a 2x4 to anchor it down as weight.  Cut a couple flap or long pieces for baffling the sides, or still just stick a hunk of 2" foam there between the stack and the wall.

My other kiln I still use pieces of 8x4 foam resting on the edge of the horizontal fan baffle to the top of the lumber stack.  So either way works, but if you have a vertical fan baffle, dropping a tarp to the top of the lumber stack is probably optimal.
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Online WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 07:47:17 AM »
I use the light 1" 4x8 foam resting on the back fan deck and laying on the front of the lumber stack.  I use more of the foam board to baffle the sides and to plug up the pallet runner holes. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline xlogger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 08:07:09 AM »
I use the light 1" 4x8 foam resting on the back fan deck and laying on the front of the lumber stack.  I use more of the foam board to baffle the sides and to plug up the pallet runner holes.
that's what I use now just thinking about something that might be better
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
baffle in CB5036 or 6048

Started by MTJAG on Firewood and Wood Heating

0 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 10:33:53 PM
by MTJAG
xx
solar kiln ideas

Started by Joey Grimes on Drying and Processing

0 Replies
Last post September 05, 2015, 08:10:03 PM
by Joey Grimes