The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Re: The weather 2019  (Read 13188 times)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
Re: The weather 2019
« Reply #900 on: April 20, 2019, 06:27:25 AM »
Yep, 40F here and rain all night and still so. Not a hard rain though. Doesn't seem to deter the robins and chickadees from singing in the trees before daylight. ;D Rain has changed from SW to NE though, cooler today. Big warm up tomorrow to nearly 70F.
Move'n on.

Offline gaproperty

• Full Member x2
  • Location: Back and forth between Nova Scotia and NewBrunswick Canada
  • From Riches to Rags.
    • Share Post
    • Riches to Rags
« Reply #901 on: April 20, 2019, 06:38:52 AM »
Spring Chaos
On this third week of April the snow on the fields disappeared and the last of the ice in the harbour sunk. With spring in mind, I awoke making plans to get caught up on my farming and firewood harvest but man was I rudely awaken when I looked out the window.  I looked out the window at our dimly lit fields hoping to see some wildlife and check the weather.  Surely I am having a nightmare or seeing things.  I wiped my eyes in disbelief then looked again. There was about 3 inches of snow on the ground which wasnít forecasted and was the last thing on my mind. Even as a kid this was my worse weather nightmare as it always threw a monkey wrench into my fly fishing and wood harvest plans.

I attempted to feed the injured fox and I felt the door resist.  Six inches of snow blew against the door. With the wind howling and the snow falling, I had no choice but to except yet another delay to my plans.  Two days ago, I took off my snowblower and put on my logging winch. I was convinced winter was over. All the same, I was happy I put the logging winch on because a young neighbour had his truck stuck in his sisterís field.  The logging winch cable reached his truck and I was able to pull him out so I was happy to help.  

I guess I donít have much to complain about compared to wildlife. This is the injured fox that was in bad shape just 3 months ago.  We fed him up as he was to lame to get his own food. Note his broken ear and the lame position he holds his back leg.  Also note the black behind his ear. Something tore this skin and now his skin is hanging. Possible cause of his injuries is a car, a coyote or an eagle.  He seems like he is doing ok now but the snow challenged his morning hunt so I gave him some scraps.  

Three weeks ago when the snow was crusted I found this dead partridge. I did an exploratory why he died. He had a broken neck.  My neighbour who is a great hunter says they frequently try to dive  deep into the snow for protection from the elements or predators.  During this dive they meet the hard crust and they break their neck.  My neighbour claims that near 80 for the fatality this time of years is caused by this misjudgement.  

For those of you who prefer videos, here is this posting youtube style.
Ray
lostcaper.ca
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #902 on: April 20, 2019, 09:06:38 AM »
Got a bunch of rain last night, but luckily, it wasn't the deluge they were threatening. Cloudy now, and threatening sprinkles, but it's supposed to partly clear out later. I rolled the dice, and hung my laundry outside. That almost guarantees more rain  :^D

edit:
After hanging laundry, I made a quick cruise around my backyard. The little oak seeding next to the cherry I removed last year has one little bud on it. I tried to work around it, but it took a couple big hits. I'm hoping it takes off. The cherry root sent out a sucker(I think. Could be a whole different tree). It was hit numerous times, is missing bark, and has some crazy bends. That's gonna be a special tree if I can keep it alive, and train it. Looking forward to that. My new pawpaws are budding. The one tree had the top bit off over the winter, and it has only one lonely bud. Hoping it makes it. The dawn redwoods look fantastic. I love those trees. Hope I live long enough to see them big  :^)

Offline Old Greenhorn

• An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #903 on: April 20, 2019, 11:37:38 AM »
Got up at around 4:30am yesterday for an early start worked until around 5:30pm when the rain started. Got 2 loads cut, split and moved, and 1 of them stacked. Also got some logs skidded and that 70' windblown maple bucked up into logs. got 4 sawlogs, the rest is firewood. I shot some video for the first time for my friends who keep wanting to come and help because they think it's all fun and games. Was hoping for something dramatic when I severed that stump platter from the trunk, but it worked out so nicely that it looked way too easy and smooth.
 We got some heavy rain over night with the hardest just after dawn, ti was coming down at 1/2 per hour rate. Nearly an inch of rain, now tapering off. Just finished stacking the last load from yesterday. time to start the cycle again. I should do a measurement to see how much more I need, but the pile are getting there. I figure 3-5 more loads. Gonna be damp, over cast and drizzly most of the day I think, but it is warm, in the 60's. I'll take it.  :)
Can You help out the Coleman Veterans Memorial by chipping in a few bucks? Go here for the full story: Can you help this year? in General Board

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here.

Offline goose63

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #904 on: April 20, 2019, 07:08:46 PM »
2 days agao had the heat on to take the chill out today it was up to 81 thats North Dakota for ya ;D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #905 on: April 20, 2019, 10:26:42 PM »
Just came in from filling the OWB. A warm night. Picking up limbs from the norway pine I cut this winter for some fuel. Does take time to fill the OWB with not much bigger than a 2 inch limb. This is part of the grown up pasture I want back as a field.  Slow process cleaning up the limbs. Most times I haul the trees up to the brush pile,than I pick up the limbs there for the OWB and what I don't want gets pushed up into a pile to be burned.I do throw in some good size pieces,but not needing much for heat,I can burn the small stuff now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #906 on: April 21, 2019, 06:43:35 AM »
Just fog most of the night here and still fog.

Move'n on.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #907 on: April 21, 2019, 08:33:40 AM »
Same here. That will eat some snow up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #908 on: April 21, 2019, 09:49:32 PM »
Two things.
peepers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But not in the brook yet. Can't hear them at the house.
And the Poplars are in bloom.
Well 3 things,have to really look,but the maples have red buds on them. Can't quite see it all over,but it's close.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #909 on: April 22, 2019, 04:21:09 AM »
Yep, and if it is decent today I will be transplanting raspberries. And tomorrow start working on moving some grapes. The vacation is over. :D :D :D
Move'n on.

Offline gaproperty

• Full Member x2
  • Location: Back and forth between Nova Scotia and NewBrunswick Canada
  • From Riches to Rags.
    • Share Post
    • Riches to Rags
« Reply #910 on: April 22, 2019, 05:30:01 AM »
Got up at around 4:30am yesterday for an early start worked until around 5:30pm when the rain started. Got 2 loads cut, split and moved, and 1 of them stacked. Also got some logs skidded and that 70' windblown maple bucked up into logs. got 4 sawlogs, the rest is firewood. I shot some video for the first time for my friends who keep wanting to come and help because they think it's all fun and games. Was hoping for something dramatic when I severed that stump platter from the trunk, but it worked out so nicely that it looked way too easy and smooth.
 We got some heavy rain over night with the hardest just after dawn, ti was coming down at 1/2 per hour rate. Nearly an inch of rain, now tapering off. Just finished stacking the last load from yesterday. time to start the cycle again. I should do a measurement to see how much more I need, but the pile are getting there. I figure 3-5 more loads. Gonna be damp, over cast and drizzly most of the day I think, but it is warm, in the 60's. I'll take it.  :)
You are on the same schedule as me.  Up at 5:30 a.m. and usually gone to the woods cutting firewood.  How big of loads do you cut.  I would like to see the video you shot. Where can I find it. 
Ray
lostcaper.ca
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

Offline Old Greenhorn

• An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #911 on: April 22, 2019, 06:45:36 AM »
It's that time of year. I didn't get all I wanted done this weekend because it rained quite a bit and I got tired of being wet. The videos are pretty boring, but I'll embed them here.

Edit: I forgot to mention, my load sizes vary but average somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 cord, that is what the trailer will bear and the mule can pull up the hill.
Can You help out the Coleman Veterans Memorial by chipping in a few bucks? Go here for the full story: Can you help this year? in General Board

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here.

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #912 on: April 22, 2019, 10:04:38 AM »
Rain rain rain over an inch since last evening and supposed to rain the rest of the day. Most of our snow is now liquified and ponding up. Some roads are washed out and others and likely to follow. Ugly ugly.

Offline wisconsitom

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #913 on: April 22, 2019, 11:56:14 AM »
Inch and a half of rain at my plantation late last week.  Another inch to 2 inches on the way today/tonight.  There is no frost,save for perhaps the shadiest spots under white-cedar groves, etc.  I had digging to do in an open, sunny field and had no difficulty.  Hybrid aspen cuttings got planted.

tom

Heavenia Tree Farm-where the trees grow with ease.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #914 on: April 22, 2019, 04:50:49 PM »
I got the raspberries in this morning. Burned a pile of brush. Later I set up the gazebo tent and had a nap under the trees. It was 56F, but felt nice. :)

And notice, the grass is greening up already. :D
Move'n on.

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #915 on: April 22, 2019, 04:55:28 PM »
65į and partly cloudy with a breeze. Changed the oil in the truck today, and of course got oil all over myself cause the design engineer was an idiot. I'd like to kick him in the nads. Also changed the oil in the mower, and made the grass shorter. ~25 more times left  :^(

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #916 on: April 22, 2019, 05:11:54 PM »
Over 2" of rain so far and still coming down. Temps have dropped to 33į and its changed to sleet/slush a few times but nothing sticking. Water is over my driveway, over my bridge, town has some minor flooding so far. Even the tops of the hills are saturated and have standing water. 

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • roborob
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #917 on: April 22, 2019, 05:58:35 PM »
Close to 80 and wildflowers everywhere.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #918 on: April 22, 2019, 06:50:37 PM »
The old hermit got his taters, onions and carrots in over the weekend. He doubled his tater acreage. :D :D I won't plant until mid May and mine will be just as far ahead, maybe further if his don't rot. Can't hurt an onion though. Carrots don't like cold at the germination stage and if it is dry it is hard to get them going to.

Goose, you got the garden tilled yet? ;) :D

Move'n on.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #919 on: April 22, 2019, 06:56:23 PM »
The colts foot has been in bloom here over a week, but they don't send leaves up until later. They are yellow. I noticed the trout lilies are up, but no blooms yet.

Saw a pair of blue herons fly by the porch this morning. :)
Move'n on.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
2019 WV Catfish

Started by WV Sawmiller on The Outdoor Board

24 Replies
Last post Yesterday at 11:32:39 PM
by WV Sawmiller
xx
Fire Season 2019

Started by Riwaka on Forestry and Logging

0 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 08:54:24 PM
by Riwaka