The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Burn Bans?  (Read 948 times)

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
Re: Burn Bans?
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2019, 08:29:49 PM »
Our ban runs Feb-April, winter winds dry out the debris that accumulates through the winter, humidity is low and we are brown, by April it is greening up here and much safer so the ban is lifted then.
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Online Mike W

• Location: Boundary Washington - Right on the edge of the Northern Boarder
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2019, 08:56:53 PM »
Lately it seems our burn bans start right after winter and runs to first snow fall.  Over the last few years we have two seasons, winter and burn ban, possibly a day or two of early spring mixed in there.  In fact last year it was so bad with the fires we had 4 weeks of a UV index of less then 1 throughout July.  the mammoth sun flowers never turned from facing East, just waiting for some sign of sun to follow through the day.  The State brain child's won't let any State or Fed land being disturbed via forestry management, 4 wheel clubs are not allowed to keep trails cleared, nor let anyone disturb these woodlands the least bit.  So with a lightning strike or some idiot in the woods starts a small fire, it quickly rages out of control as no ground crew can gain access from all the overgrown underbrush untouched over the years, no ground crew to cut in fire breaks, fires run uncontrolled.  The philosophy of these brain children is, if they let the locals keep the trails and such clear, someone, somewhere, somehow will inadvertently start a fire somewhere, so no touchy... Well Mother Nature steps in and cleans up after herself, to rid this overburden, I would just like to have a summer again and be able to breath while outside ::) 

So, our burn ban season is an ever evolving evolution that has lead me to believe we truly have just two seasons now, winter and burn ban..... 

Online Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2019, 09:15:19 PM »
We have a set burn season, January 15 to,  I think, the end of April. Sometimes extended, or shortened depending on weather. Agricultural burning is year round, weather dependent. I've been ag burning since November. The problem with that is all the busy bodies call the FD or PD to report you. After the busy bodies got educated, the calls stopped. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Offline Old Greenhorn

• An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 09:41:45 PM »
Yeah, that's a problem, if they even SMELL smoke they call 911. I did a lot of 'investigations' to locate fires after the ban began, sometimes for hours burning a lot of gas only to find somebody with a campfire making coffee.
Can You help out the Coleman Veterans Memorial by chipping in a few bucks? Go here for the full story: Can you help this year? in General Board

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2019, 08:32:58 AM »
A neighbor burned a field one time, walked away from it and it nearly burned our barn down. The guy was lucky that dad never broke his kneck. Mother sure gave him a tongue lashing. :D That is one of the fools that causes laws to be passed on burning around here. Mom's brother was another one. Dad's father had a brain drain moment to, wanted dad to burn the weeds and grass around a barn one time.  Dad never did it either, but grandfather wanted that burned. That was a first. Dad had to just go to the field and work and let it pass. Dad was some mad at the whole idea. I don't think grandfather was thinking straight.  :D
Move'n on.

Offline lxskllr

• dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2019, 07:17:41 PM »
I worked with a pyro once, and he set a field on fire while I was getting the gun setup. I drove down quick, and did donuts over the fire turfing everything up to put it out. Someone else was down there with a jeep, but didn't do anything but sit their with a stupid look on their face. I was *pithed. Can't count on anyone but myself most of the time...

Offline crowhill

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2019, 10:54:56 PM »

Spontaneous combustion is possible though, seems to have happened ...
In our town we just make a call to the Town Fire Warden and ask for his blessing. Unless the fire starts from “spontaneous combustion” at which time you call the Fire Warden and tell him you have it under control in case the neighbors get nervous and start making calls! But it’s all moot if we have snow on the ground, then proceed at your own discretion..
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
E-classic -- Low burn vs high burn.

Started by upsnake on Firewood and Wood Heating

4 Replies
Last post February 27, 2011, 12:20:13 PM
by Dean186
xx
Broken Bans

Started by oregonsawer on Sawmills and Milling

25 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 10:50:23 PM
by backwoods sawyer