The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Look what I found  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
  • A goal without a plan is just a dream. Elbert H.
    • Share Post
Look what I found
« on: March 23, 2019, 11:10:44 PM »
 :-\  This is definitely not what I wanted to find.  I was checking out a back property line and found this white oak blown down.  I don't have a pressing need for it right now, but its too good of a tree to let rot.  It will be a major pain to get to.  It is across a creek on the far side of my property.  I guess I will build that bridge I have been putting off.  

Thats a pretty good sized white oak. It hasn't been down too long, the bark is still tight.  I got a trailer that will need decking before too long.  Maybe now is the time.   I have some pines back in there that I can use as well, so a bridge will help get them out as well.  I sold the pine off the back 80 acres in the mid seventys and some of the pine was plenty big for saw logs then, thats been 40 years.  There was not a great deal of pine across this creek so the timber company left them.  They are now huge.  So when I get the White oak I will have access to those as well.  I am thinking of using a semi flatbed trailer for a bridge.  Banjo
Cooks AC 36--Prentice 210C--Morgan edger--Kubota M7040 with loader--Case 580 K with extendahoe--Case 850C dozer--Int 1700 series twin cylinder dump/log/flatbed truck--logging arch--2 Logrite mill sp.--Cat claw sharpening system--And a bulldog to make sure it all stays here.

Offline burtle

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Look what I found
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 11:30:44 PM »
That's too bad it blew over!

There will be some beautiful boards in that white oak

A local guy had 4 white oak logs laying on the ground for 3-4 years. I ended up buying them off him and the first 1" on all the logs were rot, but once we got passed that they produced very nice boards. I built a 8x8x8 tool shed out of the boards. I ended up putting a little loft in it for more storage. I would of loved to build it bigger but he had cut the logs to 8.5' each, so that's why it ended up being 8x8x8. I didn't want to waste any of it.

Hopefully you post some pictures once you start milling that white oak!
Never Give Up

Offline burtle

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 12:31:34 AM »

Here's the little shed I built with the white oak logs that were sitting on the ground for 3-4 years.

It isn't 100% done. I still need to cap all the corners and the roof peaks with 1"x2" white oak boards.

A local tree company gave me 3 very good sized eastern pines and we milled those into true 2x4"s for framing.
Never Give Up

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 02:54:12 AM »
That's a nice log
I like white oak
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls Riehl Steel edger,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline Riwaka

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 05:10:52 AM »
Bridge stuff usually requires an engineer (unless you are a certified engineer yourself) 
If you want a longer lasting bridge you might look into the low cost forestry type bridges.
Not knowing the weights the bridge might need to support or width of the waterway or soil type on the river bank or mud depth in the river bed etc I am unsure of a specific recommendation.

Generally - old truck trailer beds etc can corrode and weaken in contact with dirt and moisture (if they are not already fatigued/ corroded from decades on the road).  You might consider getting and re-purposing used concrete bridge beams (if a highway is realigned etc) and sit the trailer on top of those(you might need only 2 or 3 beams), if the span is not too great. If the trailer corrodes you still have a strong bridge usually. 
 http://www.cpi-tn.com/ (find out where the new bridge beams are going to replace old bridge beams etc)

Are there too many trees to just use a portable chainsaw slab mill and push/ winch/ zip line the slabs across the river so no bridge structure is required?  

Offline GeorgeFindlay

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 05:29:48 AM »
Outside the box:

Yard it out with a horse, letting it float across the water
"Storms Never Last"

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 08:16:41 AM »
Banjo,

I have about 10 of those down courtesy of hurricane Michael.  Like yours, most will be a challenge to get out. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 08:38:26 AM »
Very similar to what I found on my property earlier this year.  It just goes to prove that our property tells us what to do so do we own it or does it own us?  ::)

Those ~36" SYP logs will be fun to saw.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 08:55:09 AM »
 Banjo, can you get access to a RR flat car? They come in a verity of lengths.
Ed K

Offline Ford_man

• Share Post
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 09:54:40 AM »
I think 1 trailer is not wide enough they are only 96 or 102 in wide so your wheels will be on the edge. I would recommend using 2 trailers side by side.  that way when pulling logs across they will follow in the center and not tear up the floor , HOPEFULLY.

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 12:11:22 PM »
Lots of good points made. Like Bruno and burtle, I like white oak too, and I have quite a few, but I like to take them down on my own terms, but I will deal with it.  

Riwaka I am not an engineer.  The stream is not extremely wide, nor does it usually have a lot of flow, but the banks are like 7 or 8 foot on each side and steep.  Also as to Ford_man s concern about width.  This is for my tractor and small log wagon.  The tractor wheels are set in close so I can get through the woods without hitting too many trees, they are 6 feet and the trailer I will use is 5 ft. 8in or so.  I already cross one little wet weather spot on a bridge no wider than that, but it is very short...maybe 10 foot.

I think the actual span across the creek is going to be 20 or 25 feet.  I will put a tape on it the next time I get back there, and yes the old trailer will have to be beefed up in a place or two.  I have another that is a lot better, but it is road worthy and I don't want to cut it up.  As to ground contact, I am thinking I may pour me a couple of beams to rest each end on out of concrete.  I have some other concrete work to do around here, so I will just set up a couple of 12in x 12in x 12 foot beams and pour then move them back there and set the trailer remains on those.  They will be properly reinforced with rebar.  I was a certified concrete contractor in my previous life.  They will weigh about 1800 lbs each, so I can handle that.   

There is the tractor and a similar wagon I will use, might use that one too some.  Cant believe I dont have a picture of my wagon I just got through will.  I can haul a lot longer stuff with it.  This one is limited to about 12 feet, maybe 14 if all the planets line up just right.  I put a longer tounge on the other one.

Some of the other type bridges.... would be just about impossible to get to where this is needing to be.  Rail cars and such. I can pull the trailer back to within reason to where I want it and take the axles and such off it there, it wouldn't be total dead weight.  

And a chainsawmil  :D I'll be 63 in a few days. No offence ment but I don't have the back for that.  

@GeorgeFindlay if my mule even though I was considering putting him to work, he would probably kick me.  He is just about worthless except for a watch dog.  Debbie sold one horse two weeks ago and the man wanted Reuben the mule, and I was about to price him, until I got the look.  You know what that meant.  Anyway there is very little water there the problem is that it is just mainly a big ditch.  We did have more water before the Tennessee Tombigbee waterway was constructed back in the late 70's they pumped water out of the ground with wells for a couple of years.  This creek has never been the same, lots of peoples wells went dry also.

@WDH I got a little bit of first hand look at some of your damage this week.  A buddy and I left last Sunday for the Florida Georgia line to fish.  The destruction of the timber was bad enough where we were, and I know we saw only  small portion of the destruction.  We fished lake Jackson in Florida and Lade Seminole in Georgia.  We picked the wrong time to go.  The moon was full, but the wind blew almost nonstop and it was COLD as least for down there.  We did catch a few, but not like we wanted to.

Lynn my property has been telling me to get a bridge built for a while.  I think I may listen.  Banjo 
Cooks AC 36--Prentice 210C--Morgan edger--Kubota M7040 with loader--Case 580 K with extendahoe--Case 850C dozer--Int 1700 series twin cylinder dump/log/flatbed truck--logging arch--2 Logrite mill sp.--Cat claw sharpening system--And a bulldog to make sure it all stays here.

Offline rubberfish

• Share Post
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 12:32:05 PM »
Banjo picker.
It's a good thing you cleared some things up.
These guys will very quickly over complicate things and spend 20K of your hard earned dollars.
I have a couple of big Douglas Firs I need to get from the back 40 as well.
It'll be interesting to watch what you do to pull yours out of there. cheers
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 03:53:04 PM »
Am I the only one that gets excited when a tree on my property that I would never cut because it is too beautiful, blows over and now I can mill it up?😁
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Frickman

• Senior Member x2
  • Ouch, that hurt!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 03:05:28 PM »
This may not help you at all, it is just what I did many times in a previous life.  In PA we can not put even a portion of a skidder tire in a stream at any time.  We can drag all the logs we want across a stream though.  So I would get the skidder on the opposite side and skid the logs to the stream bank.  
maybe push them a little so one end hung out over the stream.  I would then get back to the other side and winch the logs across.  One time I needed a pair of hip waders to walk across the stream to hook up the logs, but I got it done.  I owned some skidder bridges but I rarely used them.  A bridge was just another expense for me.  A little creativity goes a long way.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Offline DMcCoy

• Share Post
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 03:31:14 PM »
I put in a new bridge last year.  I'm SO happy with how it turned out.  I used a flat rack shipping container.  40' long 8' wide.  I took the fold up ends off.   Used those ecology blocks for a footing.
Bridge is rated at 88,000# overall.  Guy said it was rated at 60,000# in the middle 6'.  Hired a track hoe to help.  He weighed in at 40,000# and came across just fine.
Any good bridge isn't cheap.

Offline ID4ster

• Forester
  • Good thing that foresters are a different breed.
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2019, 07:41:35 PM »
Rather than putting in a bridge why not look at putting in a rock ford? Rock, road cloth and some excavation on the approaches would do the trick. You won't have all year access but you can generally put in a ford cheaper than a bridge and they are just as fish friendly.
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2019, 08:58:50 PM »
I will look into that.  I have about 2/3 of the road cleared to get back to where I need to cross, and pulling a 45 foot trailer back there is gona take some doing.  When you say road cloth, are you talking about geotextile fabric or something else.  I have used the heavy geotextile under rip rap when working on water shed lakes. Banjo

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
I have found...

Started by HiTech on Forestry and Logging

5 Replies
Last post April 01, 2015, 10:54:28 PM
by Maine logger88
xx
mad cow found

Started by Luckyfarmer on General Board

15 Replies
Last post March 17, 2006, 08:44:13 AM
by estiers