The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Deutz F5L912 operating temperature  (Read 905 times)

Offline jdatwood

• Share Post
Deutz F5L912 operating temperature
« on: April 12, 2019, 06:35:43 PM »
Good evening members,
Anyone have any tricks or tips to get their Deutz up to operating temperature? Ive only had the machine a year and use it as a hobby but find the only time itís warm enough is in the dead of summer. Winter time use I can barely get the oil temperature up which makes for a smokey stack. Ive heard of people making covers for the air blower to reduce the flow and am thinking of going that route but would like to hear others experience. I can basically hold my hand on the cylinders and not be concerned about a burn. Temperature gauge doesnít read in degrees, itís just a scale but it only moves up an 1/8 scale (yes it works) in August. 

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Deutz F5L912 operating temperature
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 07:30:36 PM »
IT has been a few years since I looked after 812 and 912 Deutz engines. The ones I looked after were irrigation constant load/RPM applications. The fan had a manually adjustable variable pulley on it that you could use it increase/decrease air flow by changing the fan speed. Not sure if the ones you have will have that type of pulley on them but I would be surprised if they don't.

If not you can get them through parts at a Deutz dealer. They do tend to cease if if they haven't been reset for a while. There are a few different sizes to give a good range of air flow setting.      
If you ain't livin on the edge you are takin up way to much room. Of course at my age if I get too close to that edge any more theres a good chance I may fall off.
2001 Dodge 1500 4x4. 2018 F150
2007 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 almost Super
2 Logrite 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline jdatwood

• Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 07:36:18 PM »
Interesting, makes complete sense Iíll look again and make sure I understand what I have there. Iím pretty sure itís just a belt off the crank straight to the blower shive with a belt tensioner but maybe not. One would think itíd be temperature  regulated in some manner. It used to warm up better but Iíve since pressure washed the engine and thoroughly cleaned the oil cooler and cylinders/heads so itís staying nice and cool now, too cool. Thanks for your suggestion.

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 07:52:21 PM »
I have never seen a Deutz air cooled with out the variable pulley and I have seen a few hundred over the years.

IF I recall correctly there are 2 set screws that lock the outer/front face of theDriven pulley once you have it set/ I ALWAYS used the medium (blue) lock tight (SPARINLY) AFTER I had the setting I wanted. Sparingly on the lock tight because you do NOT want it on the pulley threads! Those pulleys are a very high quality steel and the threads that adjust them are quite fine so be careful and patient during the process.

I know its a pain in the butt, but if they are at all giving resistance throw the entire pulley in a bucket diesel fuel over night and then take it apart and clean it WELL. Then soak in varsol for a half hour and clean that off with Brake Klean. You can use a VERY light coat of a high grade silicone on the threads to pro long the interval when you need to redo the clean.

A lot of guys say you have to be a German to work on the Deutz and while I am German I think you simply have to be meticulous and patient.    
If you ain't livin on the edge you are takin up way to much room. Of course at my age if I get too close to that edge any more theres a good chance I may fall off.

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 09:14:30 PM »
 Had a chat with my old partner that I did the irrigation baby sitting with in the 70s. 

He said he thought the newer ones at that time had gone too a pulley that had 6 x 10MM bolts that held the front pulley face in place but wasn't sure what year they changed to that design. 

I do remember that type of pulley but I thought it was on the larger HP engines. 

Thats 40 ish years ago so it is pretty fuzzy. A picture would probably blow out a few cob webs.    

Offline jdatwood

• Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 09:46:28 PM »
Hmm, my drive pulley does have probably 6 bolts in the face of it. Iíve not given it any mind. So thereís some sort of adjustment there? Itís buried behind the hydraulic pump so Iíve never really studied it. Iíll pull it out tomorrow and get in there for a peek. Thatíd be fantastic if thatís all I need to do! 

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 11:05:15 PM »
It won't likely be the drive pull on the crank that has the adjustment but the driven pulley on the front of the fan that will be adjustable FYI. 

Offline jdatwood

• Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 04:33:23 PM »
Got in there for a good look today and unfortunately no adjustments. Both shives are solid. I suppose they could be changed for a different size but Iíd need to figure out which one and thatíd turn into an experiment. Iím thinking of having an adjustable damper made for the fan, intake side. Try to have a summer and winter mode adjustment. In Maine the temperature swings from -35F to 95F so whatever I do it needs to be quick, easy, and accessible for adjustment. Thereís a 2Ē rim guard that extends past the blower housing and itís a perfect spot to mount the damper. 

Offline kiko

• Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 04:54:51 PM »
Could you make a vent in the shroud between the fan and the jugs that is adjustable like a bbq grill air intake?

Offline jdatwood

• Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 05:51:28 PM »
I think thatís exactly what Iím going to do except itís going on the upstream side of the fan since thereís that removable flange bolted to the blower. Be that concept though, be able to dial in a setting and secure it. 

Offline Riwaka

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 06:39:33 PM »
Do you have a parts diagram of your engine?

Engine Types and Styles - Deutz Air cooled   video

Example of deutz air cooled engine. 
2.5.1  Engine description (1/3 way down through pdf)
'Amount of cool air regulated by exhaust thermostat'  or 'cooling air regulated by exhaust thermostat and solenoid'
https://deutz-minsk.by/pdf/service/914.pdf

Offline jdatwood

• Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 08:51:33 PM »
Wow! Thanks for the thorough response. I have a 385 page manual in 3 languages and Iím still trying to find mention of temperature regulation. Unfortunately the 912 series has a direct belt drive cooling fan right off the crankshaft. That manual is for the 914 series which has a thermostatically controlled fluid coupling which I wish I had. The 912 as far as I can tell from research has no way to regulate engine temp other than ambient and load. To make sure it will stay cool in the hottest of days it seems it was engineered to do that. The problem is the fan runs the same amount at -35F as it does at 95F. Iím sure someone has crossed this bridge before. I think if nothing else that adjustable intake damper would be great but there may be a better way. 

Offline Riwaka

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 09:01:55 PM »
You could add a wolverine engine oil heater and warm up the engine oil.

Place a 12 volt - air blower fan above where the exhaust manifold is and blow/ pipe warm air around into the engine cooling fan. (something like the aircooled Suzuki atvs ran)

Run a higher cetane rating diesel or diesel cetane booster to generate more heat.

Exhaust smoke is engine piston rings etc.

------------------
Though the blanking off/ restricting the size of air intake for the fan is probably the best starting point.

Probably a thermocouple that gives an accurate XXX F temperature reading is also an idea.(Probably two thermocouples in different places to compare readings in case a thermocouple is faulty)

Offline Oliver05262

• Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 10:05:00 PM »
  Do you have a temperature gauge for cylinder head temperature? Too cold is bad, but too hot is catastrophic. The ones I've seen on TJ's have the sensor bulb on one of the rear heads where the glow plug would be. 
"You can't do wrong by doing good"

It's OK to cry.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 10:55:44 PM »
Is there no way to make a simple cardboard solution?
Too many irons in the fire

Offline jdatwood

• Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2019, 09:36:41 AM »
Thatís what I ran this winter, worked pretty well. Only issue with that was the snow and ice making it want to suck through that expensive blower. 

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 10:50:57 AM »
Gotcha. Next I would try, reinforced cardboard😁

Offline jdatwood

• Share Post
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2019, 12:00:27 PM »
Hahaha! Yep, thatís kinda the plan. 

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2019, 12:36:55 PM »
 Back yard mechanic idea. Mount a roll up curtain in front of the radiator so you can adjust air flow ;).

Offline jdatwood

• Share Post
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2019, 02:08:53 PM »
Anyone have similar experiences with a Deutz? They seem to be made for really hot weather, steady load applications like pumps and generators etc. seems like and off and on setup like a skidder doesnít really keep them warm unless itís summertime. 

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2019, 06:21:40 PM »
Yes but I haven't tried to do anything, it is a cool runner and takes a good bit of work to warm it up to what feels like its operating temp. I guess if you had some type of temp gauge you could make a shutter to swing up and block some airflow. If a thermocouple talked to a digital thermostat it could run a solenoid and move the shutter. Or it could run the fan on an electric clutch. I keep meaning to put something sort of like that on it to raise an alarm if the fan belt breaks to avoid cooking it, which concerns me more.
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline jdatwood

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2019, 06:54:12 PM »
Thanks for the response, it sounds like this is par for the course with a Deutz 912 series engine in a skidder. Iím sure Iím over thinking it but itíd be nice to get the temp up a touch. Itíll run cleaner and more efficient if at temp. I run synthetic oil so wear running low oil temp shouldnít be a huge deal. Iím going to make that intake damper and start small with choking the flow off and see what happens. I bet getting 25% or so reduction in flow will get it right where I want it. 

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2019, 11:02:26 PM »
Could you retrofit a viscous fan pulley, or a big electric fan clutch?

Offline jdatwood

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2019, 08:18:37 AM »
Iím looking into it, Iím sure it can be done. I was kinda hoping someone else on here had already solved this and I wouldn't have to blaze a new path. Deutz obviously solved this issue when they went to the 914 series engine. I may reach out to them and get an opinion. They may say donít worry about it, run it. 

Offline David-L

• Senior Member x2
  • present and accounted for.
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2019, 06:41:15 AM »
I had that motor in a 225A series Timberjack and yes it took time to warm up but never did anything to it. Smoked a bit when cold but that cleared up considerably with new injectors. I love these motors, I dont' think I'd mess to much with it except to keep the jugs clean and oil leaking from the fire rings. I always ran some loggers tape on the drivers side engine guard and if the fan was pushing the tape was flying. my secondary safety to ensure the fan belt hadn't broke. I have a complete fan assembly new for that motor. ?.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Offline jdatwood

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2019, 07:01:58 AM »
I bet that was one of the nicest 225ís around! It mustíve pulled itís guts out with that motor, my machine is considerably larger and it pulls way harder than my 440D did. Sounds like Iím looking for a problem where there isnít one.... Iím just used to that 440D which was obviously a liquid cooled, thermostatically controlled, coolant temperature regulator so this constant on fan seems pretty crude. My motor does have an indicator, if the belt tension idler arm releases because of a belt break or extreme wear itíll make a contact and illuminate a light on the dash, Iíve got my horn wired into it as well.. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
E Classic operating temperature

Started by firechief on Firewood and Wood Heating

61 Replies
Last post January 27, 2011, 09:08:11 AM
by horseman 2
xx
Lucas 618 operating RPM

Started by chep on Sawmills and Milling

16 Replies
Last post August 21, 2012, 06:22:30 PM
by logboy