The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Spout your opinions one and all Off grid, no access property. Which mill?  (Read 1701 times)

Offline TKehl

• Senior Member x2
  • Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
A 6" swing mill will do that without much difficulty.  Once you get a cant cut 9" wide and however tall, you can double cut (cut from both sides) to get up to 12" boards.  Not as efficient as smaller dimensions, but can at least get multiples from a log that way.  

On large logs, wanting the sizes you've mentioned, with minimal equipment, this is the way to go IMHO.
In the long run, you make your own luck good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Offline cwk266

• Share Post
Not a professional sawyer opinion a mobile dimensions sawmill is pretty handy.Breaks down really easy for boat transport,can be setup for mobile,stationary and or directly on the log if you have some monsters to play with.It can also be setup in different blade configurations to suite the desired product.Blade teeth can be sharpened easily and replaced quickly if needed which might be a big advantage over band saw blades especially is the logs are dirty.My use of the mill has been for my own needs around the farm cutting logs salvaged on site or locally also on the west coast.It is a handy universal tool I couldn't do without.Your needs for lumber will be more than just building the cabin.Good luck with project sounds fun

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
The beams I have planned are 3.5" x 9" x24'. That probably makes way more sense. If I mill fairly green wood for the rafters and try to keep it quartersawn material, will they still warp like heck? It would be topped off with 2" material as well on top, then roofed with Metal. No insulation and only wood heat when we are there for a couple weeks at a time, then they would be at outside temp. I was thinking that if it didn't dry out too quick and its all tied together it may remain stable. It is quite humid right out on the west coast. They would probably take years to dry without a kiln I'm guessing. Thanks for the insights! Keep em coming, I'm as green as a bamboo shoot.
Quartersawn has the most crook, flatsawn the most bow. You can correct bow in the 1.5" direction, not so with crook in the wide dimension. A 24' rafter 9" deep, I've got doubts, check the awc.org span calc., the WSDD manual there or the beam calcs in the toolbox here.
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Bar oil jug spout

Started by husky2100 on Chainsaws

16 Replies
Last post March 13, 2014, 08:43:09 AM
by husky2100
xx
Fuel Spout

Started by Bill Gaiche on General Board

17 Replies
Last post January 29, 2014, 10:39:54 PM
by mudhog