The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Sawmill Footwear  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
Sawmill Footwear
« on: April 19, 2019, 03:12:15 PM »
Yup, it's my feet again, but not my toes because I only wear steel toe boots when sawing or handling logs.

The leather uppers are still in good shape but the soles/heels are a wreck.  Carhartt on the left totally worn out and the steel shank showing.  John Deere on the right with the soles/heels  separating.  I keep two pair and generally rotate them, but these are beyond rotating.  My shoe shop guy said that they were not worth repairing.  China bombs.  ::)

I have a pair of Wolverine boots that seem to be holding up quite well so...

I got another pair.  Hopefully they will hold up but the tag says.....China.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Southside

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
Re: Sawmill Footwear
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 03:19:15 PM »
My wife keeps an eye on Sierra Trading Post and Overstock dot com for my boots as I go through them a lot, leather does not like cow manure much it seems and I have an odd gait so I tend to break the soles loose on my left one often too.  I always get safety toe, gone to composite these days and they work well with a little less weight, and I have had really good luck with the ones she gets.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline steve marek

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 03:30:03 PM »
I go thur a pair red wing every three years 
WM LT40HD Logrite ach 718 woodmaster timber framing tools 3000 ford tractor 359 395 husky chainsaw woodmizer e50 single blade edger woodmizer 260 moulder 2538 mahindra tractor kd 250 kiln

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Converting your logs to lumber at my home or yours
    • Share Post
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 04:43:39 PM »
Lynn,

I hope that the Wolverine boots work better for you than they have for me, I've had both ankle-height and full-height, steel-toed, Wolverines and at the end of the day my legs ache for hours.  Even tried inserts with no noticeable improvement.  Went to Keen boots, which are better, but still not the right ones. :(
07 Timberking B-20, Custom-made log arch, 20' trailer w/ log loading arch, F350 SD flatbed dump.  Princeton piggy-back forklift.  Bobcat S250, Stihl 025C 16" and a Husqvarna 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says "He's sawin logs", I ain't snorin'.

Offline sealark37

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 05:12:17 PM »
Have a glance at Georgia Boots.  Dr. Scholl's $50 arch supports will improve any pair of boots.

Offline kelLOGg

• Senior Member x2
  • More is better but enough is best
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 05:26:31 PM »
A glance is all I'd give Georgia Boots unless they have made improvements. The sole cracked completely through in about a year. The dealer dropped the line.
Cook's MP-32, 16HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw, setter, tandem trailer, log arches, tractor, thumb tacks

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 05:31:32 PM »
Tom, I have to wear Dr. Scholl's "gellin' insoles in whatever boots that I wear.  I tried on a pair of Justin boots this morning but they did not work at all.  Both of the broken pairs shown above wore OK but the soles wore out.  :-\  I am now wearing Wolverine boots so I should be OK.  I just like to have a spare pair to rotate.

Reebok DMX MAX is the only shoes that I can wear without my feet hurting.  My "Sunday" shoes are the same Reeboks.  I have two different colors of brown and a black pair.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs, Lucas 8/27
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 05:59:25 PM »
New kicks this year.
Trying the unlined Carolina Lineman's boot.
Has a shorter heel than a traditional logger and the extra toe leather.
And yes arch inserts are a must!!

Also, trying  the Huberds shoe grease.
It has a long history and good to great reviews,  even in poo:)

D

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • 70-12 still feel pretty good and going to retire
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 07:27:47 PM »
My feet are deserting  me.
I have worn the Red Wing model which my guy tells me that its the only one made in US for many years.
I now have neuromas, and hammer toes and ever spreading feet.
Woe is me.
I bought a pair of Ariat cowboy steel toe boots that are working good so far, wide but not too short.
Plan to have the feet taken care of in The fall when I go deer hunting and can sit on a  stump.
The Red wings were the best!!
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
241 acres of woodland

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 07:31:33 PM »
Those all leather boots are just too hot for me, winter or summer.  I need a something comfortable but that has some ankle support.  For 10 years or so I've been wearing Lowa GTX Renegade mid hiking boots.  They last 6 months to a year.  About $220/pr.  They have a wide version which I need and is comfortable.  Failure mode is usually one side of the boot will split a seam from a year of side pressure.  Before that happens they do quite well at keeping water out.  The sole loses it's cushion after about 6 months of regular everyday wear.  Dr. Scholls gel insoles help when that happens.  Cushioned socks also help.
I've gone through at least 10-12 pair in the last 10 years.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline booman

• Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 07:59:05 PM »
$220 a pair is too rich for my taste.  Plus only lasting 6 months to a year.  I have had the best luck with the Wolverines steel toe. 
2019 LT15G25WIDE, 2013 LT35HDG25, Stihl MS880 with 59" bar with Alaskan sawmill attachment.  John Deere 5045 tractor with forks, bucket and grapple.

Offline RichTired

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 08:13:17 PM »
My first job out of high school was working with a little phone company (Bell System) and part of my job was climbing poles, so I got me a pair of Chippewa Boots. They were a little pricey for an 18 year old yet to be paid. But they were good boots. I now have a couple of pairs of Wolverines, with and without the steel toes.
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 chainsaw, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Offline TreeStandHunter

• Full Member x2
  • ISA Arborist from Michigan
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 08:30:52 PM »
The Georgia logger has been my best pair to date. Had a $275 red wing pair that only lasted a year before they delegated. Just bought my second pair of the loggers they are very comfortable I wear them during our prescribed fires for hiking. Keens have treated me well with a good price point on the composite toe boots.
In the process of building my own mill.

Offline mapleack

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2019, 08:36:57 PM »
I worked in land surveying for 11 years and got into asolo brand hiking boots, comfortable and last thousands of miles.  Sadly they dont make steel toe. Ive got danner steel toes made in the USA right now for work and milling and they are pretty good.
Norwood LM2000

Offline hamish

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 08:44:45 PM »
Looking after you footwear is paramount with looking after your feet.  I have a pair of Danners I got in 1993 and have been resoled 5 times and used hard, but darn near everytime they come off they get cared for, and looked after (think of not putting your gun away wet and full of mud).

I have worn many a workboot over the years and get 2-3 times the wear out of them than co-workers, guess its like making ones bed and knowing how to cook.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Offline hopm

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2019, 08:52:53 PM »
Danner is my go to in footwear. I keep an eye on the clearance sales direct from Danner. The best buys are usually around Labor Day weekend. I also watch ebay. Last pair I bought on ebay was basically new Quarry boots that went for about $40.

Offline longtime lurker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2019, 09:01:24 PM »
I wear Mongrel Boots, go through a pair a year.... the rain & mud here take a pretty hard toll on them no matter how much you look after them, but it beats the 4 pair a year of just about anything else. Plenty leather grease and keep the zipper clean helps but... it's leather, it can only handle so much water without disintegrating.

Steel caps, zip sides, plenty ankle support... and far and away the most comfortable steel capped boot I've ever tried. And still actually physically made in Australia not imported from China or Mexico which is probably why the quality is so good. Whats not to like?

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Offline richhiway

• Rich
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2019, 10:09:42 PM »
I have worn a lot of boots but for the last 15 years made in USA redwings are the longest lasting and most comfortable boot you can buy. All the guys at work wear them also and they will re sole them if you send them back.

I can wear out the soles but I have never worn out the uppers. I have a bad leg and would walk out of my right boot, pushing the upper off the sole until it would wear out and tear. That never happens with red wings.

They are expensive but worth every penny.

I have a pair of Danners that are over thirty years old but I mostly use them hunting. Danner would be my second choice. 

Also if you want your boots to last clean them and treat them with silicone or some kind of shoe grease regularly. I just got some of that Huberds that was mentioned above and really like it. Works good on holsters and knife sheaths too.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2019, 08:34:23 AM »
I'm hard on boots, and two years is about all I get(and they're completely coming apart at that point) from anything ranging from decent-premium quality. Not a lot of point in paying for premium when decent gives the same results. I've worn combat boots nearly exclusively for ~20 years. Every time I try something else, they aren't as good as combat boots. Combat boots(and all military gear) are made for winning, and not extracting the maximum amount of money from me, so that's what I stick with.

Offline logman 219

• Share Post
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2019, 08:22:35 AM »
i wear sandals !! i like the feel of warm saw dust between my toes!! used to wear speedo , but lady next door kept coming  over to watch!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Portable Sawmill Special Deal - SAVE 10% on your Sawmill!

Started by HSV on Peterson Portable Sawmills

1 Replies
Last post March 10, 2015, 10:34:01 PM
by jamieotter
xx
sawmill advice what is the best sawmill

Started by KY colonel on Sawmills and Milling

21 Replies
Last post February 24, 2017, 01:09:51 PM
by KY colonel
xx
New to me sawmill...... I think...