The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Cheat Sheet  (Read 502 times)

Offline Rob in NC

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Cheat Sheet
« on: April 23, 2019, 01:35:40 PM »
First let me throw in a disclaimer - im sure this is not an original idea by any means and could probably be added on and improved on tremendously but it helped me so I figured I would share..

Most of my framing lumber I cut for my projects I run 2x4s at 1-1/2" x 3-1/2", 2x6s at 1-1/2" x 5-1/2" etc. so im cutting actual dimensions off the mill instead of nominal with the exceptions of 1x - I cut them a full inch. In my air drying im only losing about 1/16" each direction and im good with that. Plus the weight difference in full size with green lumber is very noticeable after you move a few hundred boards in a day..

Since im running repeated numbers and I found the math I kept doing in my head was getting redundant I wrote a sheet up accounting for the 1/8" kerf each time on each board and printed it on a sheet and stuck it to the lid on my controls. This list covers me for all 1x4,6,8,10 & 2x4,6,8,10. When im slabbing on my 3rd side around (for my widths) I can look at the 5-1/2" table (if im running 1x or 2x6s) and know that if I cut at 16 - 3/4" I will come out perfect with no waste on the bottom side for 3 equal widths - then when I roll to my 4th side I can cut at say 14-1/2" for example and get 9 boards from each width with a perfect 1-1/2" board on the bottom. It lets you throw your waste on top with the slab instead of having an oddball board on the bottom of the stack.

I guess you could apply this to any size you cut repeatedly but sure speed my math up and cut down on my waste. I used to just let that last board be a screwball but this is definetly a better way.

I would be interested to see all the cheat sheets yall have come up with because I know there are a lot out there that would be helpful on redundant measurements.

2012 Lt 35 manual

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Cheat Sheet
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 03:07:09 PM »
  Here is mine. I keep it in a ziplock bag under the cover of my Simple Set so it stays waterproof. I swear by it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 09:54:37 PM »
I like using a rule:

I have another one I'm using now with more scales - 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 IIRC
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Crossroads

• letís make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 10:16:41 PM »
Mine is laminated and has full dimension on one side and nominal on the other. Thereís also a free app called sawmill calculator that you can set up your own cut list. Unfortunately though it isnít working right now. Apparently apple made some changes and the app isnít compatible with iPhones. 
2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator

Offline hacknchop

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 10:45:05 PM »
 Just in the way of FYI if you cut 1 1/2" it will shrink below building standard so I always recommend 1 3/4 X 3 1/2or %5 1/2  otherwise it cant be graded as 2 & btr  stuctural , still ok for strapping or sheathing but not framing on anything you need a permit for in Canada anyway but I'm pretty sure alot of states are the same if you need to have your lumber graded the make sure you need to have your lumber graded then cut it oversize to alow for shrinkage most don't care if it's an 1/8 under in width but 1/8 under in thickness is to much leaving absolutely no allowance for saw deviation.
Often wrong never indoubt

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cheat sheet

Started by dean herring on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post July 06, 2018, 08:01:22 AM
by moodnacreek
xx
I guess I just have to cheat

Started by Qweaver on Timber Framing/Log construction

19 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 04:22:55 PM
by Jim_Rogers