The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Cause of wind shake in Hemlock  (Read 7614 times)

Offline L. Wakefield

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Cause of wind shake in Hemlock
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2002, 06:38:39 PM »
   We've made fair gains in the herd size- but it's not like what you're talking about further south. I have no problem with the garden here. When I deliberately planted rye or oats and buckwheat in the outer pasture, I got deer coming in. That was nice. :)   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Offline Ron Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2002, 06:47:25 PM »
We've had gains in our elk populations as well.  They even started another herd in a different part of the state.  They had their first elk hunt last year.

They got a little peeved at one of the farmers who was getting crop damage from elk.  He shot 9 of them.  The state said they were their elk, and that he couldn't shoot them.  The state lost.

We have also had gains in the bear and bobcat populations.  Bobcat season went into effect this past year.

There is also rumor of big cats coming into PA again.  Some signs were seen around the more populated areas.

Hard to believe that in the 1880s all the native deer were killed in PA.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Offline swampwhiteoak

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2002, 06:53:22 PM »
I generally support native wildlife introductions.  But reintroducing big cats seems fairly dangerous.  If you have problems with farmers being mad about some crop damage, imagine a bunch of mothers storming the state capital complaining about the cougars hunting their babies. :o

What was this about again?  Oh yeah, shake in hemlock.   ;D

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
;)Re: Cause of wind shake in Hemlock
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2002, 06:57:27 PM »
Thanks swamp. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline DanG

• Senior Member x2
  • DanG, The Official ForestryForum Cussword
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2002, 09:10:31 PM »
Funny how these things happen, ain't it Jeff? Just as soon as SWO puts the thread back on track, along comes some DanG fool to knock it off again.

Our State wildlife officials have been telling us, for years, that there are no Florida Panthers left in the northern half of the state, but those of us who recognize "the scream" know better. I was perplexed by this for a good while, until I stumbled upon the apparent cause of the discrepancy. A couple of years ago, I and my Darlin' were riding our horses down one of the back roads, near here, when we came across a Wildlife Officer. I had been thinking that hunting season would be ending, soon, so I could resume riding in the woods, so I asked him when the season ended. Well, he turned a little red in the face, and admitted that he didn't have a clue. After some digging in the back seat of his SUV, he came up with a brochure that said that TODAY is the last day!  Just how in the cat hair was this guy gonna enforce the law, if he didn't even know what the law was? At that moment, a lot of questions were cleared up, for me. I no longer accept the word of any government or corporate entity, about matters that concern me. If I can't figure it out for myself, or learn from people that actually know, such as you folks, I'll just have to keep on wondering.

The soap box is now available.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Offline Sawyerfortyish

• Senior Member x2
  • Bigger they are the more mess they make
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2002, 11:14:32 AM »
I know what you mean about the game wardens not knowing whats going on we had fall turkey season small game fall bow for deer black powder and extended bow season all at the same time it didn't matter what weapon you picked up you could go hunt with it.
Here in N.J.we have a bad bear problem. The states bear program ran out of money 10 years ago and nobodys keeping track. Bears here have the highest survival rate in the US here this week alone I seen 4 bear 3 with cubs and that was just beside my driveway.We need some kind of controll since the do gooder and anti's wont allow bear hunting.Our problem is that the city people that never get in the woods out number us that have to put up with the bear >:( I don't mind when they cross my lawn we have to watch our 4 kids it's when they stand up and look in your window or come on the deck when they cross the line :-X. On another note two mountain lions were spoted this spring in near by town. Whats next? ::) ;D

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2002, 12:46:32 PM »
At least put in something about the *DanG bears shaking the hemlocks. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline woodmills1

• Senior Member x2
  • the truth shall set you free
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2002, 02:54:24 PM »
The hemlock I get is from north of here and maybe 20% has shake.  hey sawyer 40 I grew up in Newton went to high school there till 1969.  I also worked for the YCC at thunder mountain in 1976.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Offline DanG

• Senior Member x2
  • DanG, The Official ForestryForum Cussword
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2002, 03:38:02 PM »
Sorry, Jeff.  I wouldn't know a Hemlock if your whupped my butt with one. Never seen one, that I know of. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Offline Sawyerfortyish

• Senior Member x2
  • Bigger they are the more mess they make
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2002, 05:19:36 PM »
Ok Jeff right now were cutting hemlock on state fish and game land even the smaller hemlock are shook probably from people trembleing after being chased up them by a  BEAR :D :D 8)
  Does wind shake in white pine heal over a period of time?I cut one a while ago that was full of sap around a shake in the log. :)
Woodmills1 thats a little before my time as I was 7 years old in 1969 I bet you would be lost in Newton today it has really grown and changed  ;D

Offline Ron Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2002, 08:00:57 PM »
There isn't any way for the shake to heal.  The only place with growing tissue is the cambial layer in the inner bark.

Pitch may have settled in the shake.  I have never seen pitch pool in white pine.  Pitch pine is quite another story.  I've seen it ooze from the board.

Offline woodmills1

• Senior Member x2
  • the truth shall set you free
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2002, 07:14:14 AM »
I have seen pitch run out of white pine when I cut through a crotch.  It is amazing how much nice lumber can be cut from some crotch sections.  I call them a "pair of pants" two nice legs and a crotch.  other than that I have only seen small pockets of pooled pitch.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2002, 07:20:24 AM »
Hey Woodmills, I did YCC in NC in '76, Umstead and Mt Mitchell.
My understanding of shake in hemlock is it is a slow moving bacterial infection that comes up from the roots. If the land had cows on it infection is guaranteed. Thats why the butt log or even just the lower part of the butt log is bad. If you've ever wondered about the tall stumps in old logging photos, I was told the old loggers didn't know bacteria from rocketships they just knew to cut above the funky wood.
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline Ron Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2002, 10:21:56 AM »
I was always figured the tall stumps were for ease of cutting.  You get above the stump swell, and you don't have to bend over to use your misery whip.

Hemlock lumber was a by product in the old days.  The prized part of the hemlock was the bark.  They used that for the tannic acid for tanning hides.  That's why you see mountains of peeled logs.  

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Shake, ring shake, wind shake in timber

Started by pine on Sawmills and Milling

23 Replies
Last post June 13, 2014, 02:08:45 PM
by Ron Wenrich
xx
Anyone have pics of shake in Hemlock???

Started by bkellyvtme on Ask The Forester

12 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 08:42:19 AM
by SwampDonkey