The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Whatcha All think About This ??  (Read 4817 times)

Offline Engineer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Whatcha All think About This ??
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2005, 08:09:14 PM »
I would love to find a way to make a flat tax work.    The problem is how much, and how does it get distributed?    I hate income tax and all its' vagaries and inconsistencies, and the bazillion loopholes you can sneak through, and even more trouble you can get into.  If we had a flat tax, (or even a variable tax based on the items being sold), it SEEMS like things could be a lot simpler.   It wouldn't matter if someone was paid in cash ("under the table"),  all the tax would be collected at the point of sale.   Tax everything that contributes to the GNP. 

I dunno how it would work, but I'm sure someone's figured it out - let's find 'em and support 'em.

Offline bull

• im getting board on a daily basis ho hum
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2005, 10:16:36 PM »
Trying  to fix something that isn't broke,doesn't work!the gov't should have left well enough alone. They keep trying and are doing a pretty good job of screwing things up.. Take a few steps back they should have left well enough alone.. God bless America and please help use to repair what has been screwed up!! Great was good enough we didn't need to be any better...

Offline Buzz-sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • To see it is to saw it....
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2005, 11:02:32 PM »
Bull the big change happened in 1914..............
As you may know, previous to that we had NO federal income tax........my purpose in inproving our nation is to see the un fair taxation of ALL citizens done away with ........which means removing many burocrats from thier positions.....ETC.
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Offline Rockn H

• long way to go
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2005, 12:21:50 AM »
Okay, yall tell me, and be kind.  Wasn't the IRS implimented more or less to create war funds and to be terminated after the war?

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2005, 01:15:04 AM »
Yup. And that was WW 1 fer cryin out loud. The bureaucrats took too big a liking to the windfall to let it go. Our beloved Conservative federal government introduced the 7% General Sales Tax in the early 90's. I won't get into the various things  GST stands for ;D. The equally beloved Liberals promised to abolish it and got elected in 1996. Guess what, it is still here.
All the provinces except Alberta also have 7-8% provincial sales tax. Then there are the federal excise taxes on liquor and tobacco. Even with the exchange rate,  Canadian beer and cigarettes are cheaper in the U.S.  Apparently smuggling them back is profitable.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline crtreedude

• Senior Member x2
  • A proper coffee break...
    • Share Post
    • Finca Leola Reforestation
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2005, 06:44:55 AM »
I am still sorting through the tax code here - my accountant does it - and since my tax bill is pretty small, I am happy. Costa Rica has a sales tax of 17%, of course this is not on the cash economy which is huge. They are pretty close to a flat tax. Not a lot of loopholes. One good thing is it is almost impossible to raise taxes here without the entire country going on strike.

The tax at the pump is supposed to go for roads - you can tell it doesn't from the condition of many of the roads. Costa Rica has the worst roads of all Latin America I am told. The ones around our neck of the jungle are pretty good though.

I always think politicians are like drug addicts, once they get a hold of a tax, they get addicted to it and can't seem to let it go. Only rehab helps them, i.e. the American people forcing them out of office.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Whatcha NOT Sawin' ???

Started by terrifictimbersllc on Sawmills and Milling

30 Replies
Last post May 22, 2018, 11:51:19 AM
by Crossroads
xx
Whatcha working on?

Started by teakwood on General Woodworking

1 Replies
Last post June 25, 2018, 09:03:42 PM
by POSTON WIDEHEAD
xx
Whatcha Breakin' ???

Started by 4x4American on Sawmills and Milling

22 Replies
Last post April 09, 2016, 08:48:42 PM
by 4x4American
question
Whatcha Eatin' ???

Started by Magicman on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

23 Replies
Last post January 03, 2018, 06:50:28 PM
by Magicman