The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Dovetailing Jig  (Read 6633 times)

Offline Fla._Deadheader

• Senior Member x2
  • Linda Vista, Costa Rica
    • Share Post
Dovetailing Jig
« on: November 19, 2005, 10:29:58 AM »

ASAP  :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Offline sawdust

• Share Post
    • Dream Dovetail Co.
Re: Dovetailing Jig
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 12:17:57 PM »

Boxes or buildings?
sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Offline Fla._Deadheader

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 01:33:20 PM »

Furniture   Sorry bout that  ::) ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Offline sawdust

• Share Post
    • Dream Dovetail Co.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 05:15:49 PM »

This might be an idea for you.
www.leevalley.com
look for the Dovetail saw guide system.
sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Offline TexasTimbers

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Dovetail Spline Jig
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 06:40:49 PM »
I have a Leigh Like This OneI'd sell. I don't care for it but I'm in the minority so you might like it.
Lemme know if you're interested and we'll kick it around.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Offline Fla._Deadheader

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 12:24:45 AM »

Bought one today. Gotta try it out before the Container gets here on Tuesday next.  8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Kirk_Allen

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 07:48:08 AM »
What kind did you get?  I have the Leig Dovetail Jigs and didnt care for it much in the early stages of learning to use it but now after having built dozens of things with it I love it.  PERFECT dovetails everytime. 

Offline Fla._Deadheader

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 09:00:28 AM »

Being as how the Jigs are almost obsolete, I got a generic one. Don't matter all that much if the joints are not perfect. Rustic, handmade look don'tcha know   ::) ;D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Offline TexasTimbers

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Dovetail Spline Jig
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 09:03:00 AM »
What kind did you get? I have the Leig Dovetail Jigs and didnt care for it much in the early stages of learning to use it but now after having built dozens of things with it I love it. PERFECT dovetails everytime.

I bought it in '94 or '95. I only used it on 4 projects. One project had over a hundred tails in it, but altogether I don't consider myself one skilled in the use of the thing. The reason I don't like it is the amount of test cuts necessary. Yes the tails are perfect but I found little satisfaction in using the jig. Felt like an assembly line worker.
I tried a much simpler jig and I liked it better, but still wasn't happy. Then I read an article by a guy (most likely in FW) who said throw all the jigs in the trash and start cutting them by hand. It seemed extreme, but I did it anyway (well I didn't literally toss them) and was frustrated for several hundred more dovetails until I really began getting the hang of it. Now I cut them by hand exclusively. I'm certainly no master dovetail cutter but they are acceptable. Family and friends are more impressed than you would be but then you and I have a more discriminating eye.
I haven't cut any in a couple of years because of the different directions life has taken me but with a little brushing up I know my tails will be acceptable again when I can again get back into the shop in earnest. I can see myself becoming very good and very quick after a solid year of cutting them un-interrupted by life. Course that may never happen :'(.
The one jig I do love is a spline jig that uses mitered, tapered splines you cut on your table saw using another jig, that results in corner splines so tight they look painted on. In fact, I've had that question  before. "Are those painted on?"
I gave my Uncle a CD case for his 70th birthday in (97 or 98?) and one of his friends who I'd never met was a woodworker and he asked me that. He kept turning it and looking at it like he didn't believe they were splines :D
Anyway. More info than you were seeking I'm sure but I'm a motormouth :-[

Offline Fla._Deadheader

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 09:14:15 AM »

Got any photos of the "Spline" thingy and of some pieces showing the results. ??  C'mon, you ain't getting off THAT easy  ;D ;D ;) :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 10:10:39 AM »
Yeah, at least show us how you 'paint' em on. That sounds like a possibility worth looking into....... :)
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline TexasTimbers

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Dovetail Spline Jig
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 10:34:27 AM »
Okay I'll dig the jig out this weekend. That's not a promise but a forecast ;D Things are hectic, even though I'm still at this danged computer I AM busy doing P - A - P - E - R - W - O - R - K !!! :'( >:( :( smiley_annoyed01 smiley_beady_eyes smiley_confused smiley_dozy_bored smiley_fused_bomb smiley_crying smiley_mean smiley_dizzy smiley_headscratch smiley_furious3 smiley_furious3 smiley_furious3 smiley_furious3
 What were we talking about ......... oh yeah. The jig. I can take pictures of the jigs (plural because it came with a jig you can use to cut your own splines on the table saw. The spline jig itself is made of some sort of plastic. Probably HDPE, and if you "make a mistake" them you cut into it and it's messed up. I did a little once, but I just it as a four-at-a-time pattern versus the five-at-a-time that it was designed for. I bought this spline jig setup from a guy in New York who sold them through an ad in some WW mag. Whenever I'd start getting low on splines I'd call him and order some of various species he offered, and if I ran out before I re-orderd I'd use the jig that came with it and cut my own. Last time I called to order some, like 4 - 5 years ago, his wife answered the phone and said he'd had a stroke and wasn't doing anything anymore. So I had been cutting my own up until a couple years ago when iput my WWing on hold.
I'm almost certain I don't have anything to show as I have GAS (Give Away Syndrome). I make something I feel an uncontrollable urge to give it away ::) It's possible I have a scrap or mistake still hiding somewhere with some splines to look at.
Now the problem is, I can't post pictures anymore. I can't exactly figure out why either. Some software isn't getting along with some other software. Give me a schematic of a CRT and I can do componenet level troubleshooting and repair, but get me on this keyboard and into the software/programming and I'm pert near useless.
I take some pictures but I'll have to have someone else post them. Local I guess, I don't think I can even send them email so you could post them.
The jig is awesome though. If one of y'all wants, since I'm not using it right now, I wouldn't mind sending it to you so you can play with it. It's super easy to use and makes knock-out georgeuos splines. The secret is in the taper. It a 2o taper I believe, and you tap them in until they squeeze all the glue out and after they are dry you can plane/sand/finish and they really do look painted on!
The jig is so simple I think you make your own if you had it to inspect.
Lemme know - be glad to loan it out to a Forum Member.

Offline Gilman

• Senior Member x2
  • !eliforp ym tide ot deen I
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 10:53:58 AM »
I'd be more than happy to test it out and post some pictures and even a drawing  :)
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Offline TexasTimbers

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Dovetail Spline Jig
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 11:39:04 AM »
Sure thing, I'd like to see someone use it until I need it again (months away at the earliest - probably late spring in fact). E-me your pertinent info and I'll ship it to ya, and even include a handful of various splines for you. I still have some mahogany, walnut, and I believe some white oak left.
You will need certain sized dovetail bits for your router and I'll send the collars you'll need with the jig if you don't have collars.
I'll scrounge up everything this weekend, perhaps even one day this week, and we'll get on the LL at some point and figure out what you have and don't have and what all I need to send etc.
Include your LL# in your email with your address and I'll call you before I ship it.
Heck I'm nearly as excited to be loaning it as I would be to be using it again! Okay, thats an exaggeration, but I am glad someone will be making someth8ing with it after these years of neglect. ;)

Offline Fla._Deadheader

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 11:49:03 AM »

Hey, HEY, HEY. How's all this intra country tradin gonna hep ME ??? :'( :'( :'(
   First, it is ridiculed;

Offline crtreedude

• Senior Member x2
  • A proper coffee break...
    • Share Post
    • Finca Leola Reforestation
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2005, 12:20:12 PM »
See what happens Harold - you ain't even left the country yet and they are dealing behind your back...

:D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Offline TexasTimbers

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Dovetail Spline Jig
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2005, 12:26:49 PM »
Hey, HEY, HEY. How's all this intra country tradin gonna hep ME ??? :'( :'( :'(

Y-e-w  w-u-z   t-e-w    s-l-l-l-l-o-w o-w-n    t-h-u    d-r-a-w-l     p-o-d-n-e-r smiley_sleeping
but instead of shipping it back to me when he's used it a bit, he can ship it to you if talk sweet to him I bet. Well, not "sweet" sweet but you know what I mean.
At this rate I may never see it again :D Besides, maybe if I get on your good side you'll feel magnanimous one day and send me a scrap or two of that nice CR bounty ::)

Offline Fla._Deadheader

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2005, 12:44:50 PM »

::) ::)  Gotta there, first.  ::) ::)

Now, I just found out that Fred is gonna put me to cuttin "Starter" logs. Gonna start with 7" diameter logs, and If I show good potential, I get to cut the really BIG 12" ones  ::) ::) :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Offline crtreedude

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2005, 01:30:30 PM »
Actually - I doubt you will deal with much under 10 " normally - By the way, I am starting to see some really cool log cabins made out of teak raleos about 6" These are nearly free.

Imagine making a home for nearly nothing in Costa...

By the way - I have some MONSTER logs too for you. 3 feet in diameter - perhaps more.

And one almendro that I want to cut - 60+ feet long (just the log) 5 feet in diameter...

Offline Fla._Deadheader

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2005, 04:52:34 PM »

Just received all the parts for the Slabber today. Gotta make one piece and we's in BIDNESS.  8) 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Offline woodhick

• I hope it don't clear off cloudy and come a dry drizzle!
    • Share Post
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2005, 08:58:39 PM »
KevJay, whats up with the leigh.  I might be interested in it.  What size,options, and price.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Offline TexasTimbers

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Dovetail Spline Jig
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2005, 06:34:21 AM »
Woodhick, I bought the jig in '92 or '93. So it's whatever model they were making then. I didn't purchase any other stuff to go with it like a finger joint or other type template and I don't remember there being any of that stuff available, though there could have been and I just didn't order it.
I want to venture a guess that it's a model "D4" or "D2" based on memory.

The reason i can't just step out and lay eyes on it is because it's stored with some of my other woodworking stuff, like the dovetail spline jig I've been referring to, in my ex wife's garage, which was my shop once upon a time. As you might imagine I don't spend much time going through the garage anymore; it's full of her stuff and my stuff and it's an obstacle course in there.
So I'll let you know more about it when I go wading through all the stuff, but it looks exactly like the new D1600 on their website selling for $400.
I won't want an arm and a leg. It's not worth much to me .... how does a Franklin plus shipping hit ya?

Offline crtreedude

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2005, 07:04:26 AM »
Sweet - I got a furniture on the coast that keeps buying me out of the best woods!

Offline TexasTimbers

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Dovetail Spline Jig
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2005, 07:30:38 AM »
Sweet - I got a furniture on the coast that keeps buying me out of the best woods!

I don't get it ???.

Offline crtreedude

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2005, 07:47:03 AM »
Now Kevjay - don't join the ranks of the wood-hoarders, we cut wood to sell it.  ::) The good stuff is selling really fast for me. I just need more of it. Hence, Harold getting the slabber.

It should have said - furniture maker by the way... Yooper night probably did this to me.

Another thing selling really well is framing wood for concrete forms - doesn't have to even be dry.  The current going price for rough cut is about 56 cents a board foot - this is like cottonwood up there.

Costa Rica is in a building boom - nice to be in the right place at the right time.

The weird thing is that gmelina is really, really cheap - virtually free. The reason is that there are so many good woods for furniture that even though in some parts of the world they use it for furniture, here no one wants it - and it is too heavy for concrete forms.

I do think I can sell it as construction stuff though.  I have some interesting nibbles there. If the wood is nearly free...

Teak, Almendro, Spanish Cedar just keep getting more expensive every time I turn around and the rare stuff is almost whatever you want to ask for it - within reason of course.

Slabs are "touch your wallet" as Hector would say - because it will soon be empty!

Offline Fla._Deadheader

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2005, 07:50:20 AM »
 Kevjay, It's a Costa Rican thing.  ::) ;D ;D  Fred's dying for me to get down there with the Peterson and the Slabber attachment. Table Slabs sell well down there, as they do here.  ;) ;)

Fred has never been surrounded with beautimous wood, as he is now.
 He has the "Addiction", even though he is not allowed to use his own saws.  ;D ;D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Offline Fla._Deadheader

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2005, 08:02:16 AM »

Actually, what Fred has going on, is a Mexican Standoff.  :D :D :D

He will get some really exotic gorgeous wood come into the drying barn. He will e-mail me about it, and go on and on about the beautiful Furniture he is going to make with that particular wood.

Meanwhile, Back at the Finca, Hector takes inventory, and hits the highway, peddaling Fred's gorgeous wood.  :o :o  Fred gets to the Finca on the weekend, and--------  HECTOR, Where is my pretty wood ??????

Hector says, "We got big money for that wood, Boss, We need more".   :o :o :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

If only we could get Hector to join in here, Fred would be in REAL deep Doo-Doo. 

Hector is a cool Dude, and would fit right in here. Problem is, he would not have time to smuggle Fred's wood outta the barn and sell it.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

First, it is ridiculed;

Offline crtreedude

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2005, 08:17:41 AM »
Unfortunately true.

Recently we had to get ready for planting 14,000 trees so the poor quality wood and the trees that are poor had to be removed. Out of that, we got about 5,000 board feet of very nice wood, and a lot of the poor quality stuff used for concrete forms.

Well - normally I budget about $1.00 per tree to get it in the ground so I keep waiting and waiting for bills to start coming in - I am not getting any...  ???

Come to find out, Hector worked out a deal with the logger - he got the poor wood (since we didn't want it yet) and he cut up the fine wood for us - then he also made a road around the interior of the farm plus some other stuff.

All in all, a very good deal.

It gets to be a bit of a race here - who will sell the wood first, me or Hector.  ;) Therefore, we got to get Harold down here to make both of us happy!

By the way Harold - about 1,000 board feet of that wood is mahogany... I am almost afraid to let you see it.  :o  The tree was killed by lightening so we went ahead and harvested it. There is also a large Sur in the protected area that has been killed - Can't wait to cut that up - beams sell really well here, and of course are expensive. Sur is the best wood for beams.

Fred

Offline TexasTimbers

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Dovetail Spline Jig
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2005, 08:24:37 AM »
So what your saying is meybe I shouldn't be sendin all those "Costa Rican Acerage Cheap!!!" emails to da junk bin?

Oh yeah, and FYI when I got done servin Uncle Sam in '85 I wasn't done seein the world and looked around seriously into moving somewhere outside CONUS. The two places that made the short list? Singapore and Costa Rica. DanGed proud I didn't go to Singapore :o

Offline crtreedude

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2005, 09:18:03 AM »
Well, some of Costa Rican acreage is cheap but you won't buy it from those emails...

Offline TexasTimbers

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Dovetail Spline Jig
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2005, 09:34:11 AM »
Oh jess i no dees - I whas bee-in-uh whise kye. Dose emailss - dey ees a gude way to loos jor mawny - bedder to speend eet on sawm greets, on sawm greetz I say!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
New Shop Vise for Dovetailing

Started by Andy White on General Woodworking

6 Replies
Last post October 02, 2014, 08:51:28 AM
by dablack