The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Dovetailing Jig  (Read 6634 times)

Offline woodhick

• I hope it don't clear off cloudy and come a dry drizzle!
    • Share Post
Re: Dovetailing Jig
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2005, 08:58:39 PM »
KevJay, whats up with the leigh.  I might be interested in it.  What size,options, and price.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Offline TexasTimbers

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Dovetail Spline Jig
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2005, 06:34:21 AM »
Woodhick, I bought the jig in '92 or '93. So it's whatever model they were making then. I didn't purchase any other stuff to go with it like a finger joint or other type template and I don't remember there being any of that stuff available, though there could have been and I just didn't order it.
I want to venture a guess that it's a model "D4" or "D2" based on memory.

The reason i can't just step out and lay eyes on it is because it's stored with some of my other woodworking stuff, like the dovetail spline jig I've been referring to, in my ex wife's garage, which was my shop once upon a time. As you might imagine I don't spend much time going through the garage anymore; it's full of her stuff and my stuff and it's an obstacle course in there.
So I'll let you know more about it when I go wading through all the stuff, but it looks exactly like the new D1600 on their website selling for $400.
I won't want an arm and a leg. It's not worth much to me .... how does a Franklin plus shipping hit ya?
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Offline crtreedude

• Senior Member x2
  • A proper coffee break...
    • Share Post
    • Finca Leola Reforestation
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2005, 07:04:26 AM »
Sweet - I got a furniture on the coast that keeps buying me out of the best woods!
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Offline TexasTimbers

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Dovetail Spline Jig
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2005, 07:30:38 AM »
Sweet - I got a furniture on the coast that keeps buying me out of the best woods!

I don't get it ???.

Offline crtreedude

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2005, 07:47:03 AM »
Now Kevjay - don't join the ranks of the wood-hoarders, we cut wood to sell it.  ::) The good stuff is selling really fast for me. I just need more of it. Hence, Harold getting the slabber.

It should have said - furniture maker by the way... Yooper night probably did this to me.

Another thing selling really well is framing wood for concrete forms - doesn't have to even be dry.  The current going price for rough cut is about 56 cents a board foot - this is like cottonwood up there.

Costa Rica is in a building boom - nice to be in the right place at the right time.

The weird thing is that gmelina is really, really cheap - virtually free. The reason is that there are so many good woods for furniture that even though in some parts of the world they use it for furniture, here no one wants it - and it is too heavy for concrete forms.

I do think I can sell it as construction stuff though.  I have some interesting nibbles there. If the wood is nearly free...

Teak, Almendro, Spanish Cedar just keep getting more expensive every time I turn around and the rare stuff is almost whatever you want to ask for it - within reason of course.

Slabs are "touch your wallet" as Hector would say - because it will soon be empty!

Offline Fla._Deadheader

• Senior Member x2
  • Linda Vista, Costa Rica
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2005, 07:50:20 AM »
 Kevjay, It's a Costa Rican thing.  ::) ;D ;D  Fred's dying for me to get down there with the Peterson and the Slabber attachment. Table Slabs sell well down there, as they do here.  ;) ;)

Fred has never been surrounded with beautimous wood, as he is now.
 He has the "Addiction", even though he is not allowed to use his own saws.  ;D ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Offline Fla._Deadheader

• Senior Member x2
  • Linda Vista, Costa Rica
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2005, 08:02:16 AM »

Actually, what Fred has going on, is a Mexican Standoff.  :D :D :D

He will get some really exotic gorgeous wood come into the drying barn. He will e-mail me about it, and go on and on about the beautiful Furniture he is going to make with that particular wood.

Meanwhile, Back at the Finca, Hector takes inventory, and hits the highway, peddaling Fred's gorgeous wood.  :o :o  Fred gets to the Finca on the weekend, and--------  HECTOR, Where is my pretty wood ??????

Hector says, "We got big money for that wood, Boss, We need more".   :o :o :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

If only we could get Hector to join in here, Fred would be in REAL deep Doo-Doo. 

Hector is a cool Dude, and would fit right in here. Problem is, he would not have time to smuggle Fred's wood outta the barn and sell it.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Offline crtreedude

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2005, 08:17:41 AM »
Unfortunately true.

Recently we had to get ready for planting 14,000 trees so the poor quality wood and the trees that are poor had to be removed. Out of that, we got about 5,000 board feet of very nice wood, and a lot of the poor quality stuff used for concrete forms.

Well - normally I budget about $1.00 per tree to get it in the ground so I keep waiting and waiting for bills to start coming in - I am not getting any...  ???

Come to find out, Hector worked out a deal with the logger - he got the poor wood (since we didn't want it yet) and he cut up the fine wood for us - then he also made a road around the interior of the farm plus some other stuff.

All in all, a very good deal.

It gets to be a bit of a race here - who will sell the wood first, me or Hector.  ;) Therefore, we got to get Harold down here to make both of us happy!

By the way Harold - about 1,000 board feet of that wood is mahogany... I am almost afraid to let you see it.  :o  The tree was killed by lightening so we went ahead and harvested it. There is also a large Sur in the protected area that has been killed - Can't wait to cut that up - beams sell really well here, and of course are expensive. Sur is the best wood for beams.

Fred

Offline TexasTimbers

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Dovetail Spline Jig
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2005, 08:24:37 AM »
So what your saying is meybe I shouldn't be sendin all those "Costa Rican Acerage Cheap!!!" emails to da junk bin?

Oh yeah, and FYI when I got done servin Uncle Sam in '85 I wasn't done seein the world and looked around seriously into moving somewhere outside CONUS. The two places that made the short list? Singapore and Costa Rica. DanGed proud I didn't go to Singapore :o

Offline crtreedude

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2005, 09:18:03 AM »
Well, some of Costa Rican acreage is cheap but you won't buy it from those emails...

Offline TexasTimbers

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Dovetail Spline Jig
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2005, 09:34:11 AM »
Oh jess i no dees - I whas bee-in-uh whise kye. Dose emailss - dey ees a gude way to loos jor mawny - bedder to speend eet on sawm greets, on sawm greetz I say!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
New Shop Vise for Dovetailing

Started by Andy White on General Woodworking

6 Replies
Last post October 02, 2014, 08:51:28 AM
by dablack