The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Snake Bit  (Read 7736 times)

Offline ely

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Snake Bit
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 03:42:53 PM »
i am not sure if i have posted this before but, we had a weiner dog one time that went out and got bit on the snout. that dog was going nuts, it was a copperhead , i went over and killed it. drove over to folks house with dog and it had already started to swell. in just a few minutes time the dog had to breath out its mouth the nostrills were swelled close.
i hooked up a 4 ft piece of wire on the spark plug of my 4 wheeler  and put the plug wire back on. stood the dogs front feet on the running board.started the engine,  clamped his head down with my hand. i ran the naked end of the wire over the dogs nose several times around the bite mark. went around and around the swelling a few times too. after all the hollering and screaming quited down (mainly the wife and kids and the dog) i pitched the little guy out into the yard, he promptly hid under a car. he came out in about 20 minutes and you could not even tell he was bit. the swelling was gone and you had to look hard to find the bite marks. you have to let off the wire at times because it will kill the engine sometimes.

this works for people too. some snakes it does not work on. but on the snakes we have here in okla. it does work. probably not on coral snakes as i understand/think their venom is a neurotoxin. anyhow as a disclaimer, i am not a vet nor a doctor.
i have seen this work on spider bites as well,  my dad shocked my brother with a weedeater engine, his spider bite was already 4 hours old and as big as a golfball with the white center around the red tissue. after he was shocked several times on and around the bite he said it did not hurt anymore, the next morning it looked like a mosquito bite and went away from there.

Offline TexasTimbers

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Dovetail Spline Jig
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 04:47:36 PM »
:D :D

. . . . you have to let off the wire at times because it will kill the engine sometimes. . . . .

It will kill the what? The engine?  :D :D

I don't care you many times you read this, it's a barrel of monkeys everytime.

How did you ever hear of this? How was it discovered?

"Hey Pa, I got bit by a mosskin down at the fishin hole...."

"Alright son. Lemme finish supper and we'll hook you up to the hay truck for a spell and see if we can't vaporize that venom. . . . . . . ."

Spark plugs do get somewhere between 30,000 and 100,000 volts ya know! Just not much amperage so it don't kill you. .

I printed this one off. ;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Offline Fla._Deadheader

• Senior Member x2
  • Linda Vista, Costa Rica
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 05:42:48 PM »

Stun guns will do the same thing.  ;D  Most knowledgable people, metal detecting for gold, in the desert, carry a stun gun, for snake bites.  ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Offline Radar67

• Senior Member x2
  • Cuttin Wood Now For My House Later.
    • Share Post
    • Stewart Photography
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 07:35:33 PM »
I've read the same thing about the stun guns. It has been a while, but the article was about a guy ram hunting in snake country, way off the beaten path. He had one and had to use it on his partner before the hunt was over.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Offline ARKANSAWYER

• Senior Member x2
  • Poor white Southern trash
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 07:49:03 PM »

I would not hook up to a new car with a DIS system.  Them little darlings are hot.  You can hold the plug wire 6 inches from the block with a dollar bill between them and the spark will burn a hole through the dollar bill getting to the block.
  I guess next time I will bring LBJ up to the mill and hook her up to Wanda and try out the spark treatment.
  Rattlers have a musty rotten smell where they bite.  It is a sweeter smell with coppers. 
Both are hemotoxin bites and the rattles cause more rot and fall out of tissue.  Coppers seem to swell more and do not rot out as bad.  Coppers are more of a stinging sensation and rattlers are a deep slow burn.  Rattlers will give you a tummy acke so bad you can not tell which end is going to come out of.
ARKANSAWYER

Offline ely

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2008, 08:49:06 AM »
i knew you guys would make fun of me, but i still love you to death.

a funny ending to that story i told you, that little dog used to be the first one on the atv for aride. after that little shock therapy he would dissappear every time you turned the starter on a four wheeler. ::)

Offline OneWithWood

• Senior Member x2
  • I am happy!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2008, 02:51:29 PM »
Arky, give LBJ a pat for me.  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Snake

Started by bags on General Woodworking

4 Replies
Last post December 19, 2017, 12:57:05 PM
by Weekend_Sawyer
xx
Snake ID

Started by 4x4American on The Outdoor Board

20 Replies
Last post November 02, 2017, 03:23:02 PM
by Texas Ranger