The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: LT-15 Diesel vs. 25HP (now vs. 19hp diesel on TK1220)  (Read 9965 times)

Offline blame

• Share Post
Re: LT-15 Diesel vs. 25HP (now vs. 19hp diesel on TK1220)
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 03:54:04 AM »
well i thought i would chime in on this since i'm in the process of designing my own mill based on an 18hp yanmar diesel.  at the current time the diesel engine is in use on a small ym180 yanmar tractor with 810 hrs on it. in my experience with the engine it has plenty of power to run a 60" 3 bladed mower cutting 8 to 10" tall grass  along with a 60" roto-tiller  4" in the ground  i know this doesnt compare to cutting logs but i'm sold on yanmar diesels  engines  the only trouble i've had with this engine in 3 years of use has been with the return fuel lines causing the engine to starve loss of power and seemed to over heat. cost me $2.54  for new fuel line at napa.

we also use 8N ford  which is rated 21 hp and the yanmar uses 1/4 of the fuel doing the same jobs. far cold starting since i've owned the yanmar it hasnt been that cold but it starts right off  at around 20 degs. thou i do use fuel stabilizer below 40 degs

blame

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 09:23:34 AM »
Piston,

Some info on productivity of a LT-15.  Mine is 15 HP Kohler gas.  I have sawn over 30,000 BF on the little mill, and I have averaged 108 BF/hour to date.  I have kept very good records on everything that I have sawn.  This production is 95% 4/4 hardwood, primarily black walnut, red oak, and yellow poplar.  Of course, cutting 8/4 will yield much better production in board feet. 

The 108 BF/hour is a combo of me working alone and sometimes with a helper, but predominately me working alone.  This production is actual hours running the mill and does not include logging, skidding, log prep (cleaning/washing, etc), stacking/stickering, etc.  It is board foot production divided by actual sawmill run hours.  Clearly, with all the associated tasks involved with sawing, it is very unusual (and exhausting) to actually run the mill for a full 8 hours in a day without a helper (off-bearer).

My best day ever was with Dodgyloner and his Dad (2 off-bearers!!) cutting large pine logs for siding and flooring.  The pine was cut to 7/8" rough and most of it was 12" wide by 10 feet long.  That record was 1550 board feet in a day.  Cutting 4/4 (7/8" actually) makes this an outstanding day on such a non-production mill.

Alone, and with the logs skidded up and ready to saw, I can saw and sticker about 500 - 600 board feet of 4/4 in a day.  At the end of the day, my butt log is dragging  :).

I believe with the 25 HP gas, or a diesel, you can expect to exceed this production, but I would not expect that production to be more that 15% to 20% higher max since the blade is in the wood probably only half the time when you are sawing alone.  The rest of the time you are humping either logs or boards or moving sawdust.

Remember these figures are for a 15 HP gas generally sawing 4/4 hardwood (95% of the time).  With 8/4 pine, you can do a good bit better.

Also let me say that this is a LT-15 without a bed extension, so I can only cut 10.5 foot logs (I focus on hardwood for furniture).  With a bed extentsion cutting 16' logs (or longer with more bed extentsions), you could do better than what I have experienced.  DonK might be able to give you some better data cutting 16' logs and also productivity on 8/4 pine on the 15 HP gas.  Dodgyloner has the 25 HP gas, so maybe he can chime in as well.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 11:04:13 AM »
I found this tidbit of info on Ruggerini

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FZX/is_11_65/ai_58062890/

Says they are distributed by Deutz Corp. in North America.  I know several folks that swear by air cooled diesel deutz generator engines.  I wouldn't think Deutz would tarnish a good reputation with a poorly made product.

And that being 1999, found this since.

http://www.powertechengines.com/Lombardini.html

Indicates Mark IV bought out Lombardini, and Mark IV was bought by Kohler (Ruggerini engines are referenced as 'older' engines).
..and the beat goes on... :) :)
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Don K

• Senior Member x2
  • wanna lick some wood??
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 07:56:29 PM »
Danny has some pretty accurate numbers. I don't keep detailed records but I remember a few days sawing fresh SYP 16' into 1X 12's getting over 1000 bdft mostly by myself with some help from my stepson after he got home from school. Butt was dragging. All depends on the quality of the logs on the mill.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Offline joman209

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2019, 10:19:32 PM »
Thought I would ask in this thread instead of starting a new one. I'm considering the gas/diesel option as well. My big question is not how much power or fuel is used. The big question is reliability. With today's lousy gas, and the diesel emision standards, which one is more reliable? 

Offline gshd1

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2019, 10:58:59 PM »
Diesel is the way to go with a lt15 . No complaints with mine. Cold weather has not been an issue. It always starts. Super easy on fuel. 

Offline offrink

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2019, 11:04:29 PM »
Im a new saw owner. I have an LT-15 wide with the 18 hp diesel. The power is just fine and so far never been an issue. The engine really sips the fuel too. 2 gallons of diesel lasts about 5 hours of run time. I have no hydraulics so almost everything is done manually other than loading (most of the time) so the engine has some idle time. It started in single digit temps as well. 

Typically diesels will out last their gasoline counterparts due to the lower rpms. That said I believe that the gas and Diesel engines run at 3600 rpms. I cant tell you about the longevity. 

Offline Escavader

• Sawmill/Planermill operator since1984
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2019, 04:55:25 AM »
   I have the 3 phase electric you can't even slow the thing even if you tried even using the whole blade in a giant log.thankful to have 3 phase at our location,isn't option forum most I know.
Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2019, 06:08:54 AM »
Matt, I would stick with the diesel option as a mill in intermittent use will eventually have problems with the poor gasoline that has been thrust upon us. As mentioned theirs nothing that can touch electric if its possible to take that option. I have a three phase Baldor 15 hp. on my bandmill it runs the band and hydraulic pump and barely gets warm to the touch. Have you considered stepping up to a hydraulic mill with creature comforts, their a spoiler ?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
MF135 Diesel Tractor --- Diesel leaking into crankcase

Started by Left Coast Chris on General Board

5 Replies
Last post May 25, 2008, 08:29:56 AM
by zopi
xx
Diesel engine and bio diesel

Started by artenvielfalt on Peterson Portable Sawmills

6 Replies
Last post August 10, 2008, 07:33:45 PM
by techmark