The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: $7958 for a firewood processor !  (Read 82487 times)

Offline Dana

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green Leaf Farms
Re: $7958 for a firewood processor !
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2010, 07:00:49 PM »
G5521 We have our own log weight calculator. :) Look at the top of the page for forum extras and select tool box, it's in there.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Offline genesis5521

• Share Post
« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2010, 11:18:00 PM »
I emailed Sheldon these questions. His response is below.
1) Would I have any problems at the border. (i.e. Would I need any special paperwork from you to present to the border guards (both U.S. & Canadian).
2) Would I need to pay in Canadian dollars or U.S. dollars.
3) Would there be any tariff or tax.
4) Is the unit "street legal". If not, will it fit in a 5 foot X 10 foot 3500 pound (gross) trailer.

Sheldon wrote:
I will check into the paper work required at the border and get back to you on that.  We would accept either CND or US cash or a bank draft in either currency. Currently US and CND are almost at par. There is a provincial tax and federal tax in Canada, but because you are out of country I believe you would be exempt of the provincial tax.  I believe you would need to pay the Federal tax (5%) but then you can apply for a refund again because you are out of country.I will check both of these to verify. Becuase of the free trade agreement between Canada and the US there should be no tarriffs but there may be US State taxes at the border. The unit has high speed tires but no fenders or lights but it will easily fit into the 5'X10' trailer, it weights around 1500 pounds. Hope this helps.  I can touch bases again early next week with the answers on the taxes.

Offline motohed

• Share Post
« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2010, 06:39:43 PM »
You will have to pay duty at the border crossing you will also need a passport .

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2010, 07:34:19 PM »
To bring a piece of equipment in to Canada there is no duty if the item was made in US , Canada , Mexico , I was under the impression this is a free trade rule and would work both ways (may be it does't), there still may be customs fees, and broker fees if one is used.

Also I would check to see what is required by US for proof of origin and proof of ownership.

Offline genesis5521

• Share Post
« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2010, 10:18:35 PM »
I'm the one who started this thread. To date, this thread has had 3246 viewers. There is a lot of interest in an inexpensive firewood processor for home use. Some U.S. manufacture should jump on this and come out with one for around $8500. If a Canadian company can do it, why can't a U.S. company. At $8500, it should sell faster than hot dogs at a ball game.

dON  <><

Online beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2010, 10:44:26 PM »
dON
Jump on it. I think you may have a good idea there.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline genesis5521

• Share Post
« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2010, 10:53:06 PM »
dON
Jump on it. I think you may have a good idea there.

If I knew a little bit about engineering, and knew how to weld and fabricate, I would !
All it would take is some small welding/fabricating shop to produce an inexpensive processor.
The Canadian firm that produces them has only 3 employees.

dON  <><

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #127 on: January 31, 2010, 04:23:04 AM »
i have 2 pieces of equipment from canada a small log loader and a 6" wood chipper both are made with thinner steel than usa made counterparts. I haven't had much problems with the chipper but the loader has lots of new steel added and lotsof welds. I made a processor a few yrs ago that at best could do a cord an hr. but ruined both rotator cuffs throwing the split wood onto the 1 ton,a conveyor is a must have.
Ed K

Offline phillies10

• Member*
    • Share Post
« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2010, 02:07:01 PM »
go to embmfg.com look at the unit that in new product

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2010, 07:31:48 PM »
If that unit is made in Edmundston, it's a 1 hour drive from here. I couldn't honestly give any opinion on the machine and I'm sure there is some design cost involved in fabricating such a thing. However, I can't see where your coming ahead when you are going to wrestle with 8 foot logs. Fine, so it loads them on the bed. And it isn't going to be no smooth loading operation from what I see for loading apparatus. But, what about getting them logs to the processor, what support equipment you using? Did I miss that part in the thread? I see a big novelty piece of equipment personally. Nothing I can't match with chainsaw and my $500 homemade wood splitter my neighbor built. Which ain't no tin weld job btw. Ok, maybe I'm superman.  Not every piece needs to be split and a 16" but gets quarter split for my purposes and maybe split two or three more blocks up the log but only half slabs. The rest goes in the pile round. ;) You cutting 16" kitchen stovewood or actual 22" furnace wood? I cut furnace wood. Makes a big difference in the cutting and handling required. Maybe I'm just not seeing what your seeing.  :) That being said, my firewood guy does split his wood a little finer. I'm training him, hard to teach an old dog. :D :D Anyway, don't let my ramblings stand in the way. ;)
Move'n on.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Processor Build, Home Made Firewood Processor

Started by Higgo on Firewood and Wood Heating

110 Replies
Last post September 17, 2018, 08:52:41 PM
by hedgerow
xx
Anyone with a new firewood processor.

Started by mifirewoodguy on Drying and Processing

4 Replies
Last post November 12, 2008, 11:46:36 PM
by sawdust