The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: home remedy  (Read 6809 times)

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: home remedy
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 07:51:11 AM »
Goats love poison ivy,turn them loose and don't overfeed them, ivy gone.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline ohsoloco

• Senior Member x2
  • Can we stay outside and play in the sawdust?
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 11:14:47 PM »
The worse place I have it at the edge of the woods.Can't really get rid of it,but can keep it from spreading.It can grow close to the ground,in the open,or in the woods it can be 2 feet tall.I have never seen it as a vine on my land.

The edge of the woods is also the worst place that I have it around my place, but it readily grows up into the trees, and develops a thick stem that attaches to the trunk.  When I get it I usually have to get an oral steroid prescribed in order to get rid of it.

Offline zopi

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 06:53:28 AM »
Goats love poison ivy,turn them loose and don't overfeed them, ivy gone.Frank C.

If you drink goats milk that has fed on P I It will boost your immunity to the stuff...

Of course, if you're drinking goats milk you're pretty tough already, so it might not matter much... :D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Offline Phorester

• Forester
  • Can't have a healthy forest without cutting trees.
    • Share Post
    • About Forestry Forum Host
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 09:44:17 AM »

THECFARM, we could be talking about different plants.  There's poison ivy, which is a vine, but can also grow as a small single-stem shrub 2-3 feet tall.  Both forms occur in my neck of the woods.  Then there is poison oak, which is a tree, and poison sumac, which is also a tree.  All give the same allergic reaction to an individual.  Whatever reaction somebody has to one plant will be the same reaction he/she has to the other two also.
About.Forestry.Com forum host. Ya'll come: http://forestry.about.com/mpboards.htm

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 02:17:07 PM »
Phorester, we don't seem to have the vine type up here. My friend lived down your way for a few years and he pointed the vine type out to me. I thought he was pointing to virginia creeper, he said go ahead and grab onto it. I didn't try, wasn't brave enough.  ::)
Move'n on.

Offline Phorester

• Forester
  • Can't have a healthy forest without cutting trees.
    • Share Post
    • About Forestry Forum Host
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 12:40:12 PM »

One winter day I was out with a landowner who didn't recgonize poison ivy vines.  They are very furry in appearance.  He began stroking one like he was rubbing a cat.  He said, what's this. I said, poison ivy.  He jumped like he'd been shot, then began stroking it again saying, oh well, I'm deathly allerigic to poison ivy, thank goodness you can't get it in winter.  I said, yes you can, just by touching the vine like you're doing.  He jumped back again.

I don't know if he ever got a rash from that episode, but I didn't shake hands with him when I left either
About.Forestry.Com forum host. Ya'll come: http://forestry.about.com/mpboards.htm

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2010, 08:34:01 PM »
We have poison ivy boath ways as an understory low plant and also as a vine that will climb trees or fences.I've never seen a poison oak or sumac.When young I got it bad now I'd have to really abuse it to to get the itch.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline Trax

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 12:55:36 PM »
 When we bought the house we're living in now there was an out building 100 feet behind the house that was cover in vines. We moved in in Jan. and you couldn't even open the doors it was so covered. Most of them were wild grapes(still had some dried up ones on the vine) What I didn't realized was at least 1/2 of them were poison ivy. I had only seen it as low ground bush(which is still a vine if you pull it up you'll find that out) . Any way I got back to it in the spring and was ripping off the vines and my son comes back to tell me he has a school project(2nd grade) to make a May Basket, I set him up with a piece of wood that we drilled holes around the diameter. We tapped some kabob skewers into the holes with a little Elmer's and he started weaving a basket out of the vines. When I got home Monday from work he couldn't wait to tell me how much everyone loved his basket since the majority of the baskets were made of construction paper his really stood out. Matter of fact the principal of the school liked his so much my son gave it to him. Two days later I broke out in the rash from head to toe. I figured out what it was and my wife called the school....... a little to late the principle had it also, but my son never got it. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Home Remedy

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD on Health and Safety

18 Replies
Last post January 21, 2017, 03:35:27 PM
by Ed_K
xx
Rash remedy

Started by luvmexfood on Health and Safety

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2014, 10:46:06 AM
by LeeB