The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Woods Porting  (Read 59080 times)

Offline VTLogSlayer

• Location: Currently at school in upstate NY. Home is in White River Junction, VT
    • Share Post
Re: Woods Porting
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2010, 09:09:07 AM »
Im interested in doing a few of the smaller, cheaper things to my 044.  I like the idea of the dual port muffler from an ms-460.  other then that does anyone have any ideas on builders that would work on my ol' girl? if i had the tools i would do it myself. but being in school doesnt help out the whole equation.  :D thanks,
KG
ms361 20" 
044 20"
Polaris xcsp 600
97' Land Rover Discovery

Offline windthrown

• Full Member x2
  • Never give a inch!!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2010, 07:51:26 PM »
DP muffler is the easy to do mod. For the 044 its a factory bolt on cover and then re-tach your carb. Done. That is about the best that you can do w/o tools and some knowledge about 2-stroke engines and working with metals and precise measuring. You can clean up the piston and exhaust port and get all the carbon out of there as well. Nothing much to that, and it will help.

The next level of minimal tool work is if your compression is low (below 150#). I would recommend a set of new rings. You can put them on pretty easy, but it can be tedious. You will also need a new cylinder gasket. You can shave the cylinder base down with fine emery paper on a piece of glass to take the original gasket gunk off. You can also take 0.005" off the base while you are at it and not have to turn the piston down any. But you need to measure the squish before and after to verify your work. And you need a steady hand to remove the base of the cylinder down evenly. Both of these items (rings and cylinder shaving) will increase your compression, and that will result in more power and better response, w/o changing the timing.

The next level requires more tools, planning and knowledge. Porting, window and polising work will require a Dremel or high speed type drill, stones and bits, and some idea of what you are doing. You also want to know your original port timing and compensate for changes. I recommend that if you are not experienced in this, get some scored cylinders and pistons and grind, campher and polish them to see how it is done. If you mess up a scored jug, no big deal. It will just make for a more interesting ash tray. If you mess up a good Stihl or Mahale cylinder, that can cost you a couple hundred dollars to replace. Also when you begin porting, do a mild port to start with. Do not go hog wild and open everything up to the limit on your first try. That will tend to change the torque curve and the response of the saw, and it can run worse as a result.

More radical porting stuff requires more expensive tools. Turning the piston and cylinder down requires a good metal lathe setup, as well as a micrometer and solder, and a really really good idea of what you are trying to do. Measurements needs to be precise and cutting needs to be exact. You also need to compensate for timing changes due to porting, cylinder and piston height, and calculate and compensate for changes in your transfers and window ports. You also need to consider the size of the carb, and the jets used in them, as well as the coil and any other limitations that it might have. You also have to factor for faster revs, and consider upgrading other parts on the saw becasue it will have more power and torque (if it is done right).

Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

Offline VTLogSlayer

• Location: Currently at school in upstate NY. Home is in White River Junction, VT
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2010, 07:33:41 PM »
Wow guess i should learn to to do that stuff.  ;D So what are your thoughts about a new complete DP muffler?? or is the DP cover alone gonna do the job? another question  ??? if i were to buy a dremel would it possiable for myself to do some shaving? or am i going to ruin my saw  :D
ms361 20" 
044 20"
Polaris xcsp 600
97' Land Rover Discovery

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2010, 08:44:46 PM »
On this subject on porting and certain stages or degrees of same ,I'm going to do exactly that .

I have a Stihl 034 with an 036 cylinder .Of which I will get some times as is in a somewhat stock condition . Afterwards I plan on doing a type of modification that could be done by nearly anyone with just basic tools and no machine work .

Lastly the plan is a full out mod with a shaved piston ,turned down base and reworked ports . I think that just a basic mod with some muffler work will surprise most people who have only been exposed to bone stock factory tuned   saws .

Offline windthrown

• Full Member x2
  • Never give a inch!!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2010, 03:54:24 AM »
Wow guess i should learn to to do that stuff.  ;D So what are your thoughts about a new complete DP muffler?? or is the DP cover alone gonna do the job? another question  ??? if i were to buy a dremel would it possiable for myself to do some shaving? or am i going to ruin my saw  :D

On the 044/440 or 046/460, and 066/660 all you really need are the DP muffler covers. They have 4 holes on them to screw the facotry torx bolts into and they are an exact fit. The DP cover replaces the stock flat cover. On the 044/440 and 046/460 the same 460 cover fits both. The 066/660 DP cover is different. 

I would highly recommned that you Dremel a scored jug before you run it on a good one to get the feel of it. Different bits and stones work differently in the soft alloy saw metal, and aluminum alloy is easy to screw up with steel bits and stones. Some stones are made for steel, and they load up with soft aluminum as well. Some bits are hard to get in there, especially when camphoring. Also you need to figure out how to map what you are going to grind away before you start grinding. Some people can do it free style and in their head, some people draw on the jug to mark where to grind. It is a skill and an art.

Offline windthrown

• Full Member x2
  • Never give a inch!!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2010, 04:07:30 AM »
On this subject on porting and certain stages or degrees of same ,I'm going to do exactly that .

I have a Stihl 034 with an 036 cylinder .Of which I will get some times as is in a somewhat stock condition . Afterwards I plan on doing a type of modification that could be done by nearly anyone with just basic tools and no machine work .

Lastly the plan is a full out mod with a shaved piston ,turned down base and reworked ports . I think that just a basic mod with some muffler work will surprise most people who have only been exposed to bone stock factory tuned   saws .

036s are good saws to mod and they respond well to them. As are 026s. I did the several steps mods on a series of 026s that I have, but I never photographed any of the port mods. I do not have a macro lens on a camera that takes good close up photos. I also never did a pop-up tunred piston. I wrote a piece on stock and modified 026 mufflers on another forum, but that was it.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2010, 09:44:29 PM »
Oh it wouldn't make any difference if you gave port timing numbers ,took pictures or gave detailed instructions .No two people will have the same results .Those that run lousey would complain you gave them false info  any way .

It's not hard to get results it's just that some get better results . ;)

Offline VTLogSlayer

• Share Post
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2010, 11:25:08 PM »
Thanks for all of the great info windthrown! Spring break is next week, gonna be makin some money, gonna try and get the DP muffler.  ;D cant wait to start doing some of the things you mentioned, probably this summer ill tear it apart. 
ms361 20" 
044 20"
Polaris xcsp 600
97' Land Rover Discovery

Offline timber tramp

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2010, 02:49:25 PM »
  VTLogSlayer- I've also been thinking of adding a dual port muffler to one of my 044's, also a max flow air filter kit from Bailey's. If you get to yours before i get to mine, please let me know how you like it.          :) Thanks, TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

Offline VTLogSlayer

• Share Post
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2010, 03:58:16 PM »
TT, Yeah i would like to order it early this week. the max flow air filter looks like it would be a benefit as well. never thought of that.
ms361 20" 
044 20"
Polaris xcsp 600
97' Land Rover Discovery

Offline windthrown

• Full Member x2
  • Never give a inch!!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2010, 05:06:47 PM »
I have the HD stock air filter on my 044. It runs fine. The DP muffler added a good bit of power to my 044. Well worth the $35 I paid for for it. Cheap as chips compared to some of the spendy aftermarket stuff out there. Also if you want a larger second port, all it takes is a flat file on that 046 DP muffler cover. Note that the base of the 046/460 muffler will get in the way of an 044/440. The muffler covers are the same though.

440/460, 044/046 dual port cover Stihl PN: 1128 140 0801
660/066 dual cover Stihl PN: 1122 140 0800
044 serial numbers X29583701 or below have the 10mm wrist pins, the rest have 12mm wrist pins

Offline timber tramp

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2010, 10:51:01 AM »
  The max flow air filter kit claims to increase air flow from 89cfm to 135cfm. I figure if that's true, that along with an easier breathing exhaust, it should increase the saws output quite a bit. If I'm off base here please let me know.      :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

Offline JohnG28

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2010, 11:22:13 AM »
If theyre numers are true then that would seem to make sense to me. :)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Offline windthrown

• Full Member x2
  • Never give a inch!!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2010, 01:43:43 PM »
  The max flow air filter kit claims to increase air flow from 89cfm to 135cfm. I figure if that's true, that along with an easier breathing exhaust, it should increase the saws output quite a bit. If I'm off base here please let me know.      :) TT

If that is the case, that AF leans out the saw. More air = leaner running = hotter engine = scoring. If you do not richen up the carb, you will burn up the saw. Not saying that better air flow or the AF is a bad thing, but it can lead to bad things happening if you do not re-tune the carb. However one word of caution about thin air filters; they can let more crap into the engine. I have seen that on some off-road vehicles that let too much dust into the engine and they get damaged. Fine sawdust seems to burn OK. But 'regular' old dust is something that you do not want in there. The same can be said for opening up the muffler. After a muffler mod, you have to retune the carb. Actually it took a lot of dialing out the H screw after I added my DP muffler cover on my 044. That thing wanted to scream lean (plug was white). Make sure that they burple/4-stroke at WOT unloaded after any modification to the air flow.

Now after all this talk I have to go play with my 044... I realized that I have a better air cleaner from my DOA 066 that will fit on there. Not that my 044 seems to lack any power. But... it might have a few specs of carbon build up as well. Then of course I may have to take it apart again and open up the ports just a tad more. There is a good thread going on another forum where a guy stripped down an 044 and ported it for another guy up in Canada. Good photos of intake and exhaust porting, and piston window dressing.

Offline Red 93 L1 #3383

• Park District Mechanic
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2010, 07:50:20 PM »

Does the 064AV use the same daul port cover as the 066?  If not anyone have the correct number.
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2010, 09:20:33 PM »
Just put another hole in the one you have  already . The IPL for that saw lists about three of the covers but Stihl is rather vague the way they list things so it's hard to know exactly what is what .Clear as mud .

Offline windthrown

• Full Member x2
  • Never give a inch!!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2010, 03:21:12 PM »

Does the 064AV use the same daul port cover as the 066?  If not anyone have the correct number.

I dunno. I do not have an IPL for the 064, only the 066 and 660.

Offline clairmont

• cutting trees for the last 50 years,learn every
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2016, 10:29:00 PM »
hi needs a good porter for working saw in ontario or quebec thanks

Offline Benelli777

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2016, 09:24:33 PM »
Good evening guys,

I am new on Forestery Forum.

I will also ask if any of you knowledgable gents in ontario or Quebec that could do a full woods port for my 562xp. It already has a gutted/piped muffler from Homelite410.

It costed me a fortune to ship my 545 to Tennesse !

For me a woods port is done to gain substantial torque in a work saw 

Thanks

J-F  :)

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2016, 01:17:57 PM »
You might contact Ed Hill (EHP here on the Forestry Forum) about the woods porting. I'm thinking he's in Simcoe, Ont, if I recall correctly.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Woods porting

Started by Timbercruiser on Chainsaws

43 Replies
Last post June 19, 2012, 09:45:01 PM
by Al_Smith
xx
woods porting

Started by ed in idaho on Chainsaws

3 Replies
Last post August 28, 2014, 07:19:47 PM
by Oliver1655