The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Seeding butternuts  (Read 2414 times)

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Seeding butternuts
« on: April 25, 2010, 08:37:43 PM »
Swampdonkey,how long does it take from seed planted to nuts on a butternut.??Reason I ask the nuts I kept squirrel proof in a metal bucket have sprouted.If its much over 20yrs I won't have the energy to crack em.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
Re: Seeding butternuts
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 04:35:01 AM »
It all depends on site and growing conditions. 20-30 years on the lawn out in the open. Need lots of open sky for good flowering. I have black walnut that have seed at 13-14 years, they are 18 years old now. I'm still experimenting on seed to flowering and I now have an offspring from my yard tree, which is about 8 feet tall now and another one 6 feet tall on dad's lawn. Dad's is probably 7 years old now and not sure about mine, but probably around 9-10. They don't do a lot of height growth for 5 years here, but they may grow like poplar sprouts down your way and take off like Jack's bean stalk. Mine don't pop up out of the ground until July here. ;) The squirrels keep burying them around the yard, found one on the edge of the lawn late last year. I'll save it if I don't forget it's there and hit it with the mower. :D I planted a bucket full last fall all over the place, so be interesting to stumble upon one now and again. I never mark them until they come up. ;D
Move'n on.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 02:29:45 PM »
Well seeded four butternuts,I may never see the nuts but someone will.The kids will remember me when they have to clean those nuts and leaves off the drive.Frank C.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
Won't have to worry about the nuts too much, the squirrels will have them faster than they can hit the ground.  ;D :D :D :D

Reminds me, I gotta get out the trap line so I can have butternuts again. :D
Move'n on.

Offline slowzuki

• Senior Member x2
  • Still learnin'
    • Share Post
    • On the Farm
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 03:31:50 PM »
Ours poor butternuts don't seem to have any buds this year.  Last year my fil helpfully whippersnipped the yard and cut down the ash sapling that was starting near the trunk so it looks like a transplanted oak will do.

I've got an oak out back that is to 6" diameter in about 7 years.  Pretty darned good for around here.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 04:11:23 PM »
I've got an oak out back that is to 6" diameter in about 7 [+ 10] years.  Pretty darned good for around here.

Yup, I think you meant 17 though. ;)  Did a butcher job on one in the yard. Had limbs 15 feet long on the bottom that keep heading to the ground as they lengthen out. ;D
Move'n on.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 09:10:50 PM »
Got a couple of box traps set for red squirrels saw them molesting robin nests I've got too many of them around,besides don't want them messing around with my chestnuts.Frank C.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 03:22:52 AM »
I've noticed they like girdling branches and they cut pine tips for the cones as well as eat spruce buds because they are tender. I watched one yesterday doing the bud thing.
Move'n on.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 06:31:10 AM »
I've got a big old elm and those DanG squirrels will nip the ends of the branches off when they have seeds,make a terrable mess.I usally put an old blanket down and use the air rifle its a sure cure for dropping branch tips.Frank C.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 07:13:54 PM »
We are thinning a 14 acre block this week and it has a sprinkling of butternut, basswood, sugar maple and ash. It's mostly aspen where I'm at on my work strip, but I have saved about 30 butternut saplings and whack them old aspen off right quick. I cut 1-3/4 acres in 1 day and a half so far. We worked half day on Wednesday. Was raining and we have to ease into a new season ya know. ;D
Move'n on.

Offline rocksnstumps

• Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 11:09:16 PM »
Had 2 yr old bareroot planted walnuts seed for first time after nine years, zone 4 here. Would think walnut and butternut would be close in growth. So would think about a dozen years if planted in open area with lots of sun

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
  • A goal without a plan is just a dream. Elbert H.
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 01:46:09 PM »
Of the thirty or so Buttenuts I planted about 2 1/2 years ago...that Dogy Loner  (Where is he) sent me ...I have one nice little tree.  It came up last year along with several others..most turned white when about 8 inches tall and died...Had another come up about June of this year..it started turning white so I dug it up and brought it to the house to baby a little...it died anyway....I don't know if I have any that I haven't found that made it or not...I put blue flags by them ....Hopefully there is another one somewhere that I just havent found....

If that is the only one that makes it..if it does grow to tree hood..will it self polinate or does there have to be at least two..?   I have never seen another Butternut in this area...
Tim
Cooks AC 36--Prentice 210C--Morgan edger--Kubota M7040 with loader--Case 580 K with extendahoe--Case 850C dozer--Int 1700 series twin cylinder dump/log/flatbed truck--logging arch--2 Logrite mill sp.--Cat claw sharpening system--And a bulldog to make sure it all stays here.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 02:42:39 PM »
They will self pollinate, my yard tree does. Possibly good genes to because I have many seedlings off that one tree I can go check on. ;D However, no nuts this year. :(
Move'n on.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 03:22:35 PM »

The top and bottom ones were seed from last fall, the middle two are 5 years old or there abouts.
Move'n on.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Looking for Butternuts to start

Started by RPowers on Forestry and Logging

8 Replies
Last post September 13, 2013, 08:04:09 PM
by GAB
xx
Butternuts comeing up ...but

Started by Banjo picker on Ask The Forester

25 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 05:58:21 PM
by SwampDonkey
xx
qwestions about transplanting butternuts

Started by raven737 on Ask The Forester

8 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 11:09:32 AM
by Clark
xx
Butternuts and Grapes, NB's Claim to the Nors Vinland.

Started by SwampDonkey on General Board

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 09:01:21 PM
by SwampDonkey