The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Heating a hoop house/green house.  (Read 10035 times)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
Re: Heating a hoop house/green house.
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 08:55:00 AM »
Depending on the situation a green house structure can gather a lot of passive solar heat during daylight hours .As such more often than not it's neccessary for exhaust fans under certain conditions .

One gent I know built a large south facing semi underground house .He simplely used plastic barrels full of water to act as a heat sink for the excessive amount of solar heating.The water retained the heat which was expelled during periods of no or little sunshine .

I have one experiance with a commercial green house which had a large Kewanee coal fired boiler .At zero degrees it burned a ton of stocker coal in 24 hours .The heat was radiated by a long series of piping using 180 degree return pipe fitting and circulation fans which used plastic ducting .

In days of full sun the inside  temperature could shoot up to over 90 degrees in just a few minutes even at sub freezing condtions of maybe 10 degrees outside .However just 10 minutes of cloud cover would drop the temp causing the big boiler to kick in .

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 09:30:21 AM »
As Al mentioned probibly the greatest danger in a greenhouse is overheating and cooking your veggies.Thermostatic controlled fans are a must.For a noncommercial personal greenhouse i think half burried with two pane insulated sliding glass doors set at an angle south would turn the trick.Some heat from an outside boiler would help through the long cold nights.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 10:25:16 AM »
I've always had a notion to build a small hot house just never got a round tu it .Some rather ingenious ideas have been used for small units .Such as attaching said structure on a south facing wall of a house to capture the solar heat and by use of recirc fans blow the excess out into the house both making use of the passive solar heating plus not cooking the plants .At night time reverse the fans .

Like most things a person could get real fancy like I think it was Arby's that had thermostatically controlled shade curtains to regulate the passive solar on the solarium type rooms they had during the mid 80's .Worked great most of the time just cost -a- plenty .They were a tad tricky to work on and preform maintainance which I found out after working on several that failed and about cooked the dining patrons .

Those were early electronic type integrated circuitry and not well thought out at the time .I'm certain by now improvements to the systems have been corrected .Still costly though .

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 10:36:13 AM »
While on the subject a slight detour .

Now if you're ever in Nashville and a country music fan or not take a tour of the grand old opry .There in lies the most elaborate system of a green house type thing I've seen .It' s a multi million dollar set up but they have the nicest botanical garden type setting  I believe I've ever seen .Huge recirc fans and damper controlled upper windows to regulate the temperature .I'm not certain what the heat source would be but it's really something to see in addition to the rest of the place .

Offline muddstopper

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 06:24:38 PM »
Better late than never i guess. I would go with a solar collector with a insulated water storage tank. The collector is simple to make, some copper pipe, a little aluminun flashing, can of flat black paint, a few 2x4's and a sheet of lexan. You can build what ever numbers of collectors you need to heat your water capacity, The use of a low voltage water pump will allow the use of a small solar panel to circulate the water thru pex tubing under the plant beds. Thermostats will control heat. Its basicly trouble and maintenance free. I have gotten 180*F water temps in Dec and Jan, (norm is closer to 130*F) but of course NC winter isnt as cold as Maine

Offline pinebugsrus

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2012, 08:21:44 PM »
Thanks to all who took the time to comment.  Been out of the loop for a while.  Greenhouse on hold due to lack of funds and indecision about location but taking notes and keeping an eye out for cheap materials. 
Don't know what I wanna be when I grow up.  She says....GROW UP ALREADY!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Heating our house??

Started by Typhoon on General Board

8 Replies
Last post October 10, 2003, 05:12:07 PM
by SasquatchMan
xx
Heating a house with wood

Started by SnoJetter on Firewood and Wood Heating

35 Replies
Last post March 06, 2013, 09:39:40 AM
by doctorb