The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Antique planer  (Read 6788 times)

Offline brb

• Share Post
Antique planer
« on: November 20, 2012, 08:03:54 AM »
Looking for opinions on usefulness of a very large antique planer. Wanting to weigh the pros and cons to see if it something to pursue. Don't know much about it yet other than it is supposed to be the size of a car, hasn't been used in 35 years but has been undercover its whole life. I believe it to be belt driven from a line shaft. Let me know what ya think.

Thanks, Brian

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Antique planer
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 10:26:55 AM »
Usefulness will be in the eyes of the beholder.

What use do you have for a planer?

south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 10:45:52 AM »
I don't know some big old monsterious things get posted on this site every so often.Lawdy they are so gigantic they have to power them with a diesel engine .How useful that would be would depend on the person I suppose .

Now I had a now deceased friend who found a large either Oliver or Cresent 24 inch electric powered planer that could run boards just slick as snot on a door knob about as fast as you could feed them in .Old as the hills and solid as a battle ship but for him with a small finish shop it worked great and was relatively inexpensive .Lawdy would that thing ever throw the chips .Loud ,you couldn't hear yourself think .

Offline brb

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 01:11:10 PM »
I already have an electric single sided for normal use. This on is four sided, kinda waiting to see what kind of heads come with it. Just the infatuation with old iron, would love to see it running again. Probably power with diesel, power is not a problem.

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 02:26:46 PM »
Four sided sounds more like a 4-head moulder.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline brb

• Share Post
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 07:23:50 PM »
Yup, would be moulder, just seems like the old guys that talk about these things called them four sided planers, just kind of got used to it and followed suit.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 08:59:04 PM »
Wonder how much power it would take to run the hoss.  Once up to speed the momentum would help power it through.  NICE!

I have a small table top 12.5" Ryobi that bogs on 12 inch oak.   I was planing some this week and had to help pull it through.  I tried to take smaller amounts but still worked hard.

Offline tyb525

• Senior Member x2
  • Always learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 09:08:49 PM »
Four sided sounds more like a 4-head moulder.

A four sided planer is used to dress a board to a specific size in one pass. It's what the commercial mills use to make 2x4's, etc.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 09:17:16 PM »
tyb
The commercial mills use a 5 head moulder to make 2x4's, I'm pretty sure.

I spent some time setting a few of them up .... ;)
south central Wisconsin

Offline 5quarter

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 12:51:54 AM »
Beenthere...whats the 5th head do? End trim maybe?
What is this leisure time of which you speak?

Online whiskers

• Full Member x2
  • Over what hill? I don't remember any hill.
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 01:21:41 AM »
Sold this old 1920s Yates A415 (four side planer, matcher, moulder) earlier this year. Buyer has a Cummins Diesel for power and plans to profile cabin logs. It was set up with a 75 hp electric motor, the chip blower had a 35. It'll run 300 linear feet a minute of 2x. Guess that would make it an offbearer's nightmare. It has babbet bushings and weighs 22k.

many irons in the fire.........

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 01:30:21 AM »
Beenthere...whats the 5th head do? End trim maybe?

First head works like a jointer, and the other heads follow that face. IIRC
south central Wisconsin

Offline brb

• Share Post
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 07:13:50 AM »
Whiskers --
That thing looks awesome! That is gonna be another question as to how much it is worth. I had talked to one guy that had scrapped one because it was too big and scrap prices were so high. Hate seeing that.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 07:42:10 AM »

I had talked to one guy that had scrapped one because it was too big and scrap prices were so high.
A classic example of history repeating itself .As an example the Caterpillar company was a merger of Holt and Best both of whom produced large steam tractors .Over the years with the amount  of wars driving up scape prices until recently there was not one known example of any of those old machines .All broken up for scrap .I believe they did recently locate one though that was eventually restored .

This area of Ohio once thriven in manufacturing then the bottom fell out .US News and World Reports termed it the "rust belt " during the 80's .Failed businesses were gutted ,sold of piece meal for bargain basement prices .Thousands and thousands of tons of out dated metal working tools were sold by the ton .Some being the size that would have worked well for average tinker and putser like so many on this forum .All gone probabley the cylinder liner of a Toyota or the bumper on a Ford Ranger now .

Offline tyb525

• Senior Member x2
  • Always learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 01:02:39 PM »
tyb
The commercial mills use a 5 head moulder to make 2x4's, I'm pretty sure.

I spent some time setting a few of them up .... ;)

Well that's good info, I guess I didn't know they were considered moulders, but I guess so if they round the corners too
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Online whiskers

• Full Member x2
  • Over what hill? I don't remember any hill.
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 11:22:38 PM »
Whiskers --
That thing looks awesome! That is gonna be another question as to how much it is worth. I had talked to one guy that had scrapped one because it was too big and scrap prices were so high. Hate seeing that.
Could have parted out and junked it, just didn't want to see it go that way. It was listed for about 12 years with occasional inquiries usually ending because of the babbet bushings. The buyer has experience with similar machines and wasn't intimidated by the bushings. I'll ask for a video to post when he has it running. 
The value would range from scrap price to serious money for a complete modern machine. A complete older machine in good condition will have some value, placing it could be a problem. Safety is always a concern. These older machines are pre OSHA and difficult (if not impossible) to bring up to compliance. Shipping and handling large items is expensive if you have to hire it out. Get some pictures, we're waitin'............
many irons in the fire.........

Offline red oaks lumber

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 06:16:16 AM »
i have both a 4 sided planer and  5 head moulder. i use the 4 side when im just presizing or just hogging off material. the 5 head does the more presice accurate machining.
 that old planer might have babbitt bearings if so, you'll have to learn the art of pouring new bearings or find an old timer that can do it.
the experts think i do things wrong
 over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 07:21:43 AM »
Generally speaking babbit pouring is a lost art but at the same time if they kept the bearings oiled they last a long time .Most I've seen were shimmed so often just pulling a shim or two might tighted them back up if they get sloppy .

Probabley the best thing to do on that monster old planer mill once it's set up is to go through each bearing journal  and make certain it will take oil .If not fix it and check for slop move on to the next .Bearings all good it'll probabley run the next 50-60 years .That old behemouth  was built in the day they made things to run forever and so it may .

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2012, 07:26:42 AM »
You need to find an old time retired millwright about 80 years old .There's the type fellow who could help you out .

Offline brb

• Share Post
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2012, 07:28:21 AM »
Safety is always a concern, would guard it as much as possible. Not production, so OSHA not too much of a concern. Gotta stay safe, seems the older I get the more ya think about it. Seen too many things happen.

The babbitt doesn't scare me too much. I have a couple of guys that can help me learn to pour. I have been wanting to get to that anyway. Have a few other things that are gonna need it too.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Grizzly Planer: G0544 20" Pro Spiral Cutterhead Planer

Started by Dan_Shade on General Woodworking

46 Replies
Last post January 11, 2009, 07:20:18 PM
by Dan_Shade
xx
New toy! A bit of an antique but it looks like it will do.

Started by Kipper on Sawmills and Milling

16 Replies
Last post January 02, 2016, 09:11:34 PM
by Corley5
xx
Antique Grader

Started by Tillaway on General Board

45 Replies
Last post November 09, 2005, 09:16:54 AM
by mometal77
xx
Antique materials