The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: 3 point hitch splitter question  (Read 5344 times)

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
3 point hitch splitter question
« on: March 26, 2013, 09:27:58 PM »
   I recently got a homemade 3 point splitter that was well made except for a folding leg that goes under the hitch in use is too bulky. I looked on line and most don't have support legs, I haven't used it yet and wondered if the leg is necessary or even useful?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline logman81

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: 3 point hitch splitter question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 09:38:45 PM »
Probably not really needed unless your hydraulics leak down. You could always just cut a block of wood at the height you want the splitter at and lower down on to that.
Precision Firewood & Logging

Offline r.man

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 10:06:12 PM »
Try it and see for yourself. You can always remove it later.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Offline Piston

• Senior Member x2
  • ...Brick by brick my friends...brick by brick!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 03:45:45 PM »
There are only 3 reasons I can think of that a support leg would be neccessary.

1. If your tractor is small and fairly light duty, and your splitter is very heavy duty, then it may be nice to have support under it to take away some stress on the toplink. However, if the tractor was this light duty then it probably wouldn't have enough hyd flow/pressure to run the splitter in the first place.

2.  If its too flimsy on the 3 pt because you can't tighten the sway bars/chains enough.

3.  If your 3 pt hitch leaks down. However, if that's the case, then it should be looked at.

I also have a homemade 3pt splitter and usually never put any support under it, however lately I've been setting it on a round stood up on end, because of reason #2 that I posted above.
-Matt
What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race.

Offline yellowrosefarm

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 05:41:51 PM »
I have a 3 point splitter made by Yanmar. In use, I lower it flat on the ground, roll a big piece on and raise it back up to save my back when splitting. The only useful thing I can think of for a stand would be to hold it off the ground when you take it off the tractor to make it easier to hook up the next time. But then, my 3 point hitch doesn't leak down and my sway chains are tight.

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 05:57:04 PM »
My splitter has no leg(s), I have seen one once that has one. I think it was the kind that go across the back of the tractor instead of pointing straight out, it also flipped down to a vertical splitter for the large blocks of wood which is why it had the legs to keep it at the right height for that.

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 09:11:26 PM »
  Thanks all for the reply's. I am going to take the leg off so that I can put some side tables on. Both of my tractors with 3pts are cat 2 and the splitter is cat 1 but that usually doesn't hurt anything. Lowering to load and raising to split sounds good on the bigger stuff and is why I'd like some side tables. I've got about a 24" red oak that blew down and I hope to start cutting on it next week.   
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline yellowrosefarm

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 02:27:43 PM »
You will love that splitter for those big oak pieces. I was going to build a lift for my tow behind but when I got the 3 point, I just use it for the big ones.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 04:29:36 PM »
If you have a fairly modern tractor it won't be a problem .However if you have like an old 8 N Ford ,To 20-30 Ferguson they aren't real friendly at holding heigth.They kind of have a mind of their own .

They do just fine either up or down .In the middle it can be kind of iffy .

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 05:03:48 PM »
Al
The 8N has position control whereas the TO-20 does not.

The 8N will continually correct itself to maintain the height if the PTO is engaged and running.

That lack of position control when I bought a TO-30 after being used to the 8N Ford was a big disappointment, and at first just figured something wasn't connected to the lift quadrant. When I took it appart to fix it, found out there was nothing there to fix.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 06:18:58 PM »
It will to a point .Try and run a grader blade with it some time and let me know how it works .

Yeah with a plow it will hold depth but just picking something up say and carrying it you'd better have your hand on the controls .

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 06:27:06 PM »
A little more .My neighbor has a three point hitch splitter he built in high school on the back of a Massey 65 gasser .It uses the hydraulic pump from a dump truck and really does fairly well .It will hold whatever position you put it in .

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 06:50:38 PM »
  My "older" tractor is a 1956 JD620 while my "newer" tractor is a 1988 JD 2355, both are plenty heavy and both will hold the weight on the 3 pt pretty well but today an old JD man told me the 620 should use an open center valve and the 2355 should use a closed center valve so I'll try to figure out what the splitter has and go from there. I would prefer to use the 620 just because I love the sound and could use another excuse to run it!

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 07:02:03 PM »
Neat sound but that 620 will go through some gasoline now .It won't suck it down like pulling a plow but I'll bet it gobbles it up at 2-2.5 gallon per hour .Pulling a plow it's about twice that .

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 07:39:04 PM »
Neat sound but that 620 will go through some gasoline now .It won't suck it down like pulling a plow but I'll bet it gobbles it up at 2-2.5 gallon per hour .Pulling a plow it's about twice that .

In it's day the 620 was one of the most fuel efficient tractors around, I know that running a 6' bush hog mower it uses way less than you mention.

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 07:49:58 PM »
Fuel efficiency was one of the reasons Deere delayed switching to 4 and six cylinders, as they consistently had the highest "HP per fuel consumption" ratings at the Nebraska tests.
But the demand was for higher horsepower, not for fuel efficiency.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 08:06:05 PM »
Yes indeed in HP hours per gallon  .On the belt at 40 some HP it was 4.2 gallon per hour as per the Nebraska test .

It might not be bad at all though just running a splitter .

Now then if you are getting by at less than 2.5 cutting weeds they must not be very high because my old 70 JD would suck down right at 4 per hour bush hogging tough stuff .Of course it's a bigger displacement than a 620 but about the same HP .

The 70 was around 11 HP hours per gallon and the 620 around 12.4 or so .

Offline r.man

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 09:11:29 PM »
Been there there are add on position controls for Ford 9 and 2Ns and Fergusons that don't have them. Google it if you want to build one yourself or if you prefer to buy a kit try this http://www.bramblett.com/zane/  This is not the only type on the web, I have seen at least one more and the fellow gave instructions on how to build one. As to using a 3 point splitter off the tractor hydraulics gas economy does become an issue with certain tractors over time. A friend had a three point on a JD 6 cyl and said that he had to take a 5 gal can of gas every time he used it. He went from using 15 gallons for a load to about 2 gallons.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 09:28:49 PM »
  Well Al most of the bush hogging I did with the 620 was weeds in the pasture that the goats or donkey didn't eat, tall but not too thick. Honestly I'm not all that concerned with economy unless its worse than you predict, I just hope it works well, a week or two and I'll know and report.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 09:34:59 PM »
I was just throwing that out there .These guys running saw mills complain about fuel economy all the time I figured I'd just put some food for thought .

That old Johnny popper won't be loaded all the time anyway just running the hydraulics .

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
3 point hitch welder

Started by timberfaller390 on General Board

5 Replies
Last post August 06, 2008, 10:40:46 PM
by DanG
xx
3-point hitch grapple

Started by huntdibbs on Forestry and Logging

5 Replies
Last post January 27, 2014, 10:01:45 PM
by bill m