The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Buying Logs  (Read 2256 times)

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Buying Logs
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 04:52:49 PM »
logger79, not real sure where you are, but around here, being at the local fueling station before sunlight has it's advantages, most are fueling up with diesel and coffee, heading to the timber, not a bad place to make contacts.  The best bet is to find locals with 1 tons that only haul in the 1000 ft range, these guys just want the most for the logs,  I would suggest finding a market for 4x6's as well as ties, the only issue is quantity, 75 a week seems a lil on the low side,  there will be culls, plus, if the lumber is going to a flooring mill, bigger stacks fresh cut seem to bring a lil better grade,  they know they have you over a barrel to some degree,  the more you do it, the better it gets, just my experience,   all said get the logs off quick, pay quick, and turn quick, otherwise get ready to custom saw in the mean time,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
  • Pro-Sawyer Mary and Bibbyman
    • Share Post
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »
I got the feeling you won't be able to make money if you have to pay premium prices just to get logs.  Every log will have to make a tie and you'll have to have a market for the off-all lumber. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Offline cutterboy

• Sometimes trees fall where they want to.
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 05:33:04 PM »
There are several loggers around so I just need to get to work figuring out what it will take to get some of their logs.

MONEY...that's what it takes. If the logger is not contracted he will listen to you talk money. The thing is....can you make a profit if you pay high prices for the logs. As some of the others have said....talk to them. Get to know them if you can. Some may not want to bother with you, but some may. Be persistent like a salesman and sooner or later I'd bet you'd be able to deal with some of them. There is always a way!   Good luck, Cutter

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
buying logs

Started by davidstimson on Forestry and Logging

13 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 07:16:36 PM
by Maine372
xx
buying logs?

Started by paul case on Sawmills and Milling

101 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:57:20 PM
by WDH