The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Kiln insulation?  (Read 1180 times)

Offline WoodChucker

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • The WoodChucker
Kiln insulation?
« on: May 13, 2004, 09:40:30 AM »
I'm getting ready to insulate my new kiln, it's a dehumidifier kiln from Nyle. I've been told that the foil faced type is the best to use but the thickest I can get it around here is 1/2" and sometimes 1" is available. So I'd rather use the pink stuff because I can get it in 2". I could put one layer of the foil type on also if thats a good way? And would it go on the face of the inside wall facing the room or should it be the first piece to go inside the wall facing the outside? Or I could even have it on both sides with the pink stuff in between if thats better?

Nyle says to leave a air-space on the outside wall, so I'll only be using 3" between the studs, that will give me a 1/2" air-space on the outside wall. And then I thought I would put another  2 layers on the face of the studs inside.

They tell me I need to have at least an R-30 for the walls and celling. So do you guys have any suggestions as to which way I should go, all pink or mix it up? Thanks!

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Offline Don_Lewis

• dry kilns, heat pumps
    • Share Post
    • nyle
Re: Kiln insulation?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004, 06:56:49 PM »
If by "pnk stuff" you mean pink (or blue) foam, then that works fine. If you mean fiberglass, not so good but okay if you have at least R10 foam on the inside and seal the joints very, very well. Also make sure the outside air space between the insulation and the outside wall is well vented.

Offline WoodChucker

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • The WoodChucker
Re: Kiln insulation?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 10:55:03 PM »
Thanks Don,

yep, I was talking about the foam stuff. I talked to Joe yesterday and he filled me in also. I was sorry to find out he's leaving, he's been a great help to me more then once and he really seems to know his stuff. Your letting a good one get away!  :o

Anyway, thanks for the input, it's always appreciated!

R.T.

If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Kiln Insulation?

Started by WoodChucker on Drying and Processing

18 Replies
Last post April 21, 2004, 10:41:32 AM
by Ga_Boy
xx
Insulation for New Kiln

Started by pine on Drying and Processing

5 Replies
Last post January 19, 2017, 10:34:52 PM
by Darrel