The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: flannel lined pants  (Read 5038 times)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
Re: flannel lined pants
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2013, 03:50:06 PM »
I can wear wool and get wet, and never feel anything but warm. ;D
Move'n on.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2013, 08:42:51 PM »
I find silk is better than any synthetics I've used.

Silk feels better to me as an inner liner, but there are a number of synthetics that will wick more moisture faster.  The synthetics I've used tend not to hold up as well as silk, however. Washing or drying at the wrong temperature (or hanging them too close to the camp fire to dry) can destroy their wicking ability, for example. If you are working around fire, silk also has the advantage of not melting and sticking to your skin.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Online beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2013, 10:34:35 PM »
John Mc
smiley_thumbsup
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2013, 12:15:24 AM »
Now the only question is, where do you get silk long underwear these days.  I haven't really looked for it, but the last time I saw it was when I was working as seasonal help at an Eastern Mountain Sports store 20+ years ago (a fun gig, and the store had much more of an "outdoor enthusiast" atmosphere and clientele than most of those I've visited more recently.  I probably spent about double what I earned - that employee discount was hard to pass up.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2013, 05:46:58 AM »
John it's like trying to find heavy wool long John's, I had to call the company. No stores stock it here.

You know, they do sell silk yarn and many weave with it. But weaving is not the same as a knit fabric, it is not elastic or stretchy when woven, but is if knit.
Move'n on.

Offline labdad

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2013, 10:37:39 AM »
I like my flannel lined pants. I have Carharts and they are warm. If I am out splitting wood I'm not sweating much and they keep the wind out, if its too cold I will wear my long johns and then I don't have to wear bibs. Wool is nice and I have wool pants but they are too warm most of the time for the weather we have here.
My equipment
Husky 50 Rancher
Husky 359
Brave 26 ton splitter

Ordinary men have excuses
Extraordinary men have solutions

Offline Arborwear

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • Arborwear
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2018, 09:12:22 AM »
Dress Like an Onion!

As cold weather approaches people often ask us “How should I dress?” the simplest answer is:  Dress Like an Onion.  What we mean by that is to think in terms of layers.  An onion has many layers, so should anyone working outdoors in cold temperatures.

We like to steer people towards three layers; a base layer, a mid-layer and an outer layer.  Sometimes one layer can perform multiple duties but for the most part during cold weather months it is best to have these three addressed before you head out for work.

The base layer is the next-to-skin-layer.  This is the layer that keeps your skin warm but also should transfer moisture to other layers as you sweat.  Therefore, base layers that wick are the best.  These can be thin long underwear or simple performance Tees but if they move moisture away from the body, they will keep the body dry and warm. These layers are often made of thin merino wool, poly propylene or unique blends that perform well together.  

The next layer, or mid-layer, should be your insulation layer.  This is where the heat resides.  Think of an R-value on insulation for your home. You want something with an R-value that measures up to the coldest weather you may face that time of year.  For some, this layer might be a fleece pullover, a sweatshirt or even a wool sweater.  Again, if this layer wicks moisture, then your sweat keeps getting carried further away from your body which is a good thing.  There are many great insulating textiles.  Some are light and thin and easy to move and some are heavy and bulky but provide serious warmth.

Lastly everyone needs a protective shell or outer layer.  The main purpose is to keep the elements out.  This means wind, rain and snow.  Outer layers can be jackets, parkas, rain gear, snow suits, etc.  Anything that keeps the inner layers dry and something that breaks the wind.  

Another important piece of the puzzle we like to suggest is the ability to easily modify your layering in the field.  By this I mean wearing layers that can unzip or unsnap partially or fully to regulate your temperature quickly.  If it is hard to modify your layering on the spot, then most people will just keep working and “suck it up” for the rest of the day.  

By wearing a sufficient layering system, workers in the field remain more comfortable, more level-headed and less susceptible to injury and temperature-related hazards.  

So, the next time you are gearing up for a cold weather day, think of the onion!
Arborwear
We are makers of honest, hardworking clothing
for people who work hard and play hard outdoors

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2018, 11:17:48 PM »
Have a few pair of flannel lined jeans for when it's cold indoors. For outdoors I wear fancy Pantagonia long under ware bottoms with carhart  logger double knee blue jeans with heavy button suspenders.  In the woods and away from grease, battery acid etc. it's Johnson wool pants. Just bought a pair in a junk store, green, my size, like new, $12.00 !  My 3rd. pair. My first pair was $28.00. Know they are about $190.00.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
green forester pants vs. new husky blue pants

Started by thumper on Forestry and Logging

8 Replies
Last post November 02, 2016, 05:17:41 PM
by danbuendgen
xx
Got some firewood lined up

Started by landscraper on Firewood and Wood Heating

5 Replies
Last post October 27, 2014, 07:08:49 AM
by ckhenshaw4