The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: Opinion: Band wheel w nothing btw blade and wheel  (Read 4060 times)

Offline chisel

• Full Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
Re: Opinion: Band wheel w nothing btw blade and wh
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2004, 11:47:15 AM »
Hey Gipper and steveo, I was looking at the members map and there's a few more of us Ky boys than just the three of us. The rest of them must be out running their mill!

Thanks for both of your descriptions of your mill.

steveo, I may take you up on your generous offer. I'd be glad to offer my labor for a few pointers (and the opportunity to take pics of your mill). I have a full ww shop but have never run a bandmill, just seen some run by someone else.

Offline Gipper

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2004, 10:17:52 PM »
Chisel

Though we are in the same state, there's a lot of miles between us, but like steveo, if you are up this way look me up and we will saw a log or two and talk sawdust for a while. :D (I'm only about 7 hours or so east of you.)  You can see what my bandwheels and roller guides - actually the entire mill - looks like by visiting the Cook website. www.cookssaw.com

Stevo_1  Did you escape all the bad storms in your area last week without any damage?  I was lucky, but some of my neighbors weren't.  Couple of counties around us were hit even harder than we were.  Lot of nice trees came down.  Here the first thing most people think of is firewood.  I was called about one nice Maple, but by the time I got there the best logs had been cut to firewood length. >:(

Offline steveo_1

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2004, 11:28:08 PM »
   Gipper we had some bad storms come through but we got lucky and only lost a few limbs here and there. My uncle lives a few miles away and he got hit good,him and his neighbors lost some trees,his neighbor lost a carport, it blew out in someones field,no major damage and nobody got hurt.
Im thinking about running an add in the paper every spring to let people know i will clean up those trees to get the logs off of em,too many get chopped up into firewood. >:(
Chisel we can set up a date.Maybe send me a PM we can figure something out.After the 4th would be good for me,i got some stuff needs doing next few weekends.
got wood?

Offline chisel

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2004, 07:09:09 AM »
Gipper,
I have the Cook's demo video and I have visited their site many times. Which mill do you have? 7 hrs. is a long way to make sawdust, but I'll think about it! Thanks for the offer.

steveo, after the 4th probably works for me. I have a sister in Louisville so it'd be great if I could visit you both in the same day. I'll send you a pm when I get my schedule figured out.

Offline Gipper

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2004, 08:32:21 PM »
Chisel

I have the Accu-Trac 36 hydraulic mill.

Eddie

Offline MrMoo

• Do you have a spare log dar
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2004, 08:00:54 AM »
Kind of late replying to this one.

My Logmaster mill runs crowned steel bandwheels. The tensioning is with a hydraulic system with no spring tension or give. There is a blade scraper just before the guide on the outgoing side. So far nothing seems to have stuck to the blade & gone around the wheel. I suppose you never know though.

Offline chisel

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2004, 01:45:56 PM »
Kind of late replying to this one.

My Logmaster mill runs crowned steel bandwheels. The tensioning is with a hydraulic system with no spring tension or give. There is a blade scraper just before the guide on the outgoing side. So far nothing seems to have stuck to the blade & gone around the wheel. I suppose you never know though.

MrMoo,

Better late than never!  :D
I'll add a blade scraper to my list of "options" on the mill I have in my head (and soon to be reality?). :)

Thanks for the info.

Offline Fla._Deadheader

• Senior Member x2
  • Linda Vista, Costa Rica
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2004, 02:26:41 PM »
  I posted on this thread waaay back. Maybe I should clarify a little. We saw logs that have loose chunks falling off (Pecky Cypress) that CAN get bounced around and HAVE gotten caught between the housing and the blade AND the wheel-tire.

We have a wire brush-scraper mounted AFTER the fixed blade guide, so, it's possible that the pieces did NOT actually go through the guide, but, bounced around inside the housing and got jammed into the blade and tire.  

Every once in a while, we get a loud thump and see pieces fall out the top of the blade housing that's between the two wheels. Every piece does NOT go out the chute.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Width of your band wheel, width of your blade?

Started by valley ranch on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2015, 12:41:02 AM
by valley ranch
xx
Band wheel ?

Started by edsaws on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post November 05, 2005, 11:14:04 AM
by D._Frederick
xx
Band saw wheel width