The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Huge red oaks. Too big for wm  (Read 4830 times)

Offline chief613

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Huge red oaks. Too big for wm
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 06:59:01 PM »
once you get a split started cut a hydraulic jack into one end to help split 

lt40hd

Offline kelLOGg

• Senior Member x2
  • More is better but enough is best
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2015, 07:58:51 PM »
Here's a 37" water oak that took 2.5 hours to halve with a 20" chainsaw. Don't want to do that again w/o a bigger saw.
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 16HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw, setter, tandem trailer, log arches, tractor, thumb tacks

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2015, 08:08:27 PM »
I have  no idea how many I have split with a chainsaw but I am willing to do it again. ;D
I did these for a customer a while back.

I do mine a little different. I don't put the flat side against the side supports. I put it up at a 45 angle. This gives me more quartersawn lumber and the fact that I use a edger helps me to get the best lumber.

This one has already been cut on the first side and then it is turned 90 in this pic.
Two LT70s and to much other support equipment to mention.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Online WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 08:44:59 PM »

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2015, 09:03:41 PM »
If you're running a Stihl it's not too bad....if you're running a Husky well...yea then it's a job
Boy, back in my day..

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2015, 09:05:28 PM »
My 394/395s love ripping. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2015, 09:14:03 PM »
My next saw is proberly gonna be a 395 one of these years.  I have a few huskys.  Waiting to find one that impresses me!  I have a few Stihls that will start first pull in cold weather even when been sitting for weeks on end, and then other Stihls that start after 2-3 pulls.  Then there's the Huskies, and they like foreplay...
Boy, back in my day..

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2015, 09:17:41 PM »
My new 395 likes it cold. 1 pull choke, 1pull unchoked and away you go. Take it out of the warm garage and it likes an extra pull on choke.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2015, 09:36:47 PM »
My boss got a bad batch of 372 xtorqs.  He got 4 of them, and they were a pain.  The one designated to me would die when I turned it on its side..  Full tank of fuel, new filter, good gas.  It'd take 30 pulls to start it some days.  Had to make sure to put it on high idle if engine was warm but it was cold out.  Didn't have enough power cutting hardwoods with a 24" bar.  My 372xpw I have now is an x torq wearing a 28" bar that is way too big for it once it wears out I plan on going to a 24" with it.  The thing that makes me pick up the 372 is the way it drives.  It rides like a cadillac.  So smooth.  I have a 461r that is a beast I love that saw.  One of the first ones that came out, still has tunable carb.  When I got it they still had 460s on the shelf the guys over at AS convinced me to go 461. 
Boy, back in my day..

Offline Lumber Grader

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2015, 09:46:23 PM »
The old timers used to drill a hole to the center pith and stuff the hole with black powder and rags (I guess rags or ate least some kind of stuffing.) They would light a long fuse and RUN RUN RUN---FAST AND FAR!!!!!!!!!!!!  Go to You Tube and put in "Splitting Logs Black Powder".  Pretty interesting.  I have a buddy that his father used to run a 8" band mill and they cut a lot of huge swamp logs that were too large for their 8' band headrig!!!!!!!!! (That would be huge!!!!)  He told me they would always split them with black powder and then saw them.

Offline fishpharmer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2015, 10:03:04 PM »
DonK and I split this big red oak with his Husky and my Stihl and the bottle jack.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2015, 10:24:33 PM »
Not all bottle jacks will operate in the horizontal position.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline logboy

• Share Post
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2015, 01:09:09 AM »
After watching these guys split a log by hand, using a chainsaw seems like the hard way of doing things.

I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2015, 08:51:05 AM »

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)
Love to see a video of you doing this Jake, ever made one?   

Once you get that cut started does it still feel like you are holding the saw horizontal to keep going straight, or does it feel more like that weight is off and  you are just pushing it along?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT  2001 WM LT40SHDD (42HP Kubota, Accuset2, FAO's, Lubemizer, debarker), Peterson WPF 10-30 with chain slabber. Logrite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2015, 07:18:45 PM »

Once you get that cut started does it still feel like you are holding the saw horizontal to keep going straight, or does it feel more like that weight is off and  you are just pushing it along?

I am assuming you are talking to me. ;D There is getting to be a few Jake's on this place and I am not sure where I rate. :D If it is me you are talking to then the answer is no. I have never made a video while splitting a log.  If someone brings one large enough for the next project maybe we will get a video of it on here. Of course that will be the time that I really mess up. :D
Before I get the cut started I walk around the log and look at the far end. To see where I want to come our at. Pick a place in the bark that you can remember, while you are sawing. Go back to the other end and stick the saw in the wood. Aim for the mark on the bark that you picked at the other end and start sawing. I have tried to use chalk line and it don't work. It is like trying to drive while looking at the white line beside the truck. ;) You will have to lift the weight of the saw head off of the bar or the far end will want to crawl up on you. Try not to look at where the saw is cutting but where you want the saw to cut. I know it is easier said than done but I hope this clears it up a bit.
This is one of those things that are like trying to tell someone what a banana taste like. I don't know how to explain how I do it, I just do it. :D I hope this helps in some way.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2015, 07:48:51 PM »
After watching these guys split a log by hand, using a chainsaw seems like the hard way of doing things.

That was the way I was shown how the build boats. That is a lost art. It breaks my heart that no one in my family build boats anymore. I'm the last one as far as big boats. BUT, in the last couple years, I been pasting on how to build a pirogue. Been having some free classes at my house that takes a weekend and everybody goes home with one.

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2015, 08:39:16 PM »

I am assuming you are talking to me. ;D There is getting to be a few Jake's on this place and I am not sure where I rate. :D If it is me you are talking to then the answer is no. I have never made a video while splitting a log.  If someone brings one large enough for the next project maybe we will get a video of it on here. Of course that will be the time that I really mess up. :D
Before I get the cut started I walk around the log and look at the far end. To see where I want to come our at. Pick a place in the bark that you can remember, while you are sawing. Go back to the other end and stick the saw in the wood. Aim for the mark on the bark that you picked at the other end and start sawing. I have tried to use chalk line and it don't work. It is like trying to drive while looking at the white line beside the truck. ;) You will have to lift the weight of the saw head off of the bar or the far end will want to crawl up on you. Try not to look at where the saw is cutting but where you want the saw to cut. I know it is easier said than done but I hope this clears it up a bit.
This is one of those things that are like trying to tell someone what a banana taste like. I don't know how to explain how I do it, I just do it. :D I hope this helps in some way.
Yes referring to you in WDHs pic. Thanks.  I remember you saying some of this before somewhere.  Probably going to try this sometime in the next month or so but with an 880 with either a 41" or 59" bar.  Can't imagine holding that saw up though horizontal for very long, and was wondering how much you really have to hold it up once you get it into the wood (compared to when you're starting the cut.  I guess I have to see what happens.  thanks again
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT  2001 WM LT40SHDD (42HP Kubota, Accuset2, FAO's, Lubemizer, debarker), Peterson WPF 10-30 with chain slabber. Logrite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Online WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2015, 08:55:24 PM »
@customsawyer (Jake) and a 115 year old southern red oak (Quercus falcata).  He split that log near perfect.  I had some chalk and went to mark on the log before he started, and he just scowled at me.   I backed off with the chalk and kept quiet. 

I am a man that knows his limitations  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2015, 05:10:08 AM »
@terrifictimbersllc You don't have to hold very much of the weight like you do at the start of the cut. You have to hold a little but not much.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Offline LaneC

• Traveling Man
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2015, 06:57:07 AM »
That sure is a fine cut on that log. That is a very good eye. I am not hijacking, but that sure is a fine pirogue also.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
lots of huge oaks lost in sandy

Started by Tom L on Sawmills and Milling

19 Replies
Last post November 12, 2012, 03:48:02 PM
by Al_Smith
question
Willow Oaks, Pin Oaks, and Water Oaks

Started by JoeyLowe on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2002, 08:15:18 PM
by Tom
xx
Oaks blow down due to shallow roots / oaks with taproot

Started by livemusic on Forestry and Logging

1 Replies
Last post March 06, 2017, 05:35:41 PM
by treeslayer2003
xx
Huge Ash or ??

Started by Coach on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

14 Replies
Last post May 28, 2014, 04:26:38 PM
by DeerMeadowFarm