The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: 2015 firewood prices  (Read 15468 times)

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: 2015 firewood prices
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 08:36:04 AM »
Don't mind at all North River, it is a Tarm MB 55, 8" flue, 4' of ss stove pipe and 12' of insulated ss chimney.

Last year I changed the cap to a rotating weather vain type because of a problem with wind gust blowing down the chimney when the wind is blowing from the north east. The rotating cap helped a lot but not fully cured perhaps another 4' of chimney is in order.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 08:43:03 PM »
So I often wonder, how often do you westerners who primarily burn softwood clean your chimney pipes?  Most of us easterners are hardwood snobs and wont burn any softwood, because we have the choice.

It's a myth that burning softwood causes creosote formation. Burning wood incorrectly (green or starving it for oxygen) is what causes problems - assuming your stove or boiler is correctly installed.

What tends to give softwood a bad rap for burning "dirty" is that it burns fast and hot, and people try to counter this by choking off the air supply to make it last longer.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 09:13:09 PM »
Generally speaking does softwood have more resin? (thinking pine and fir)

If so would this cause more creosote?

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 09:18:21 PM »
Well said there John Mc.  Sure agree...
Design of the wood burning apparatus also can have an effect.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 09:30:30 PM »
Design of the wood burning apparatus also can have an effect.

Agreed. Though a poor design will tend to have problems with any wood
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2015, 09:36:18 PM »
Generally speaking does softwood have more resin? (thinking pine and fir)

If so would this cause more creosote?

Resin is not what causes creosote. Resin actually burns well. Creosote is basically a product of incomplete combustion. If your fire burns too cold, some of the gasses will not ignite. They can then condense on the inside of your chimney, forming creosote.  You are also giving up a lot of the BTUs available in your wood by not burning those gasses.

Once it's gotten hot enough to ignite the gasses, a catalytic wood stove can keep the gasses burning even at a lower temperature. However, most catalytic stoves take a bit of attention to operate properly, especially when first firing it up from a cold start.

Offline North River Energy

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2015, 10:43:19 PM »
Thanks Hilltop.

Offline shamusturbo

• Full Member x2
  • Eat, sleep, firewood, repeat.
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2015, 12:20:41 AM »
$300-Full Cord, Delivered and Stacked. Haven't changed the price since we started in 2006 and have retained a boat load of customers because we do stack. Before all you haters go off on me, most of the people we do stack for are 80 years old+ and some can barely pick up a piece of wood. Some are yuppies who probably couldn't stack it if they tried. (Wouldn't want it to fall on your $80k Benz, afterall)

I am NOT the most expensive and am the only one who does stack. I think if it's stacked, they see what they bought, I know they got more than the guaranteed volume, it's not in a pile rotting, and it's getting all the more dry which means it makes me look better in the end. That's just me. 

We are in the North Pittsburgh Suburbs between $600-800k housing communities and a very old farming population with some of the highest land values in the country. I don't think there are many markets quite like ours. O, and we sell out every year including last year before Christmas.  8)
Stihls 660,461,460,390,200T
Duramaxs 04 CCLB,15 CCFB DW
Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2015, 01:54:11 AM »
Before all you haters go off on me,

shamusturbo

You must be used to a different forum group, as we don't have "haters" of how you conduct business, IIRC.
 Don't think anyone on this Forum would mind what you do for your business.
Sounds like you are happy and have a good plan to service your customers. Both are important.  ;D

south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2015, 07:39:03 AM »
  Whatever works in your market  8) 8) 8) 8)  I've had elderly customers in the past that I stacked for or found someone to do it for them.  They've all passed on now  :( and I don't have any at the moment.  I didn't charge them extra to stack it if I did it myself or a crew member did.  We just did it.
  I've had customers in the past that wanted a firewood service.  They wanted to call every couple weeks in season and order a couple face cords of seasoned wood and have it stacked.  I've discouraged that sort of customer  ;) ;D
  I saw an ad for seasoned wood at $50.00 per face cord delivered in 3 cord loads and another for seasoned at $60.00 with no mention of a minimum.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2015, 08:58:17 AM »

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2015, 11:57:19 AM »
Hilltop
You missed it in this other thread..  ;D  (but truly fits in with this one better )

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,85520.msg1309132.html#msg1309132
south central Wisconsin

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
Hay look at that, I did miss it.

A friend e-mailed a link to it to me this morning and the first thing I thought of was this thread.

Offline brendonv

• Arborist
    • Share Post
    • www.VorioTree.com
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2015, 04:05:45 PM »
Do you guys offer multiple cord discounts?  I can only haul one at a time so i tried explaining this to two recent potential customers. One wanted a $25 per cord discount on 7 cord and i told hom no thanks, and one i offered a $10 per cord discount on 3 cord because he was literally around the corner.  Both declined which is fine with me but what do people expect?   ??? :o ???
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2015, 05:32:11 PM »
Grandfather burned mostly softwoods and white birch at his hunting/fishing camps every year. None of them burned down in fact grandfather is long dead and them camps are still standing. I suspect the owners are burning same old spruce, fir and birch.  ;D That's what was growing all around those camps, it wasn't typical hardwood ground out on that glacial sand.  :D
Move'n on.

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2015, 03:38:34 PM »
In spring we were getting $215-$230 a cord (128cu ft.) delivered, green ($ difference for mileage).  Been tough to keep the wood deck stocked, and the price has gone up to $225-$250 cord green right now.  We sell mostly Maple & oak, with a little bit of ash, black birch, birch, beech (whatever is on the lot the logger is cutting).  I was only able to put up 4 cords last fall to sell as dry this winter, 2 are prepaid and are $310 each delivered.  The other 2 will stay put until around Christmas time and will be advertised on craigslist are try to get enough to cover the family's gifts.  Some might call it being greedy, I'm not, most of my customers think ahead and are rewarded with lower prices.

Brendonv, I've got two customers that get multi cord discounts.  They are each within 2 miles of my place and use 22in long wood.  They pay me every two cords and are upright and honest.  The biggest reason I give the discount is the length.  22in is easy to cut with my processor and add's up fast.  I did have a customer with 12in long wood this year, didn't charge any extra but once I was done his 3 cords told him next year we won't be doing 12in wood!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO

Offline clww

• Senior Member x2
  • Oh yeah? Watch this!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2015, 06:05:34 PM »
I'll be selling full measured cords of 100% seasoned oak for $250 this year, delivered and dumped. If it's not too far, I may stack it. Depends on the customer. Repeat customers will get it for less. Half cords of the same I'll be doing for $150.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver for Knight

Offline cutterboy

• Sometimes trees fall where they want to.
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2015, 09:17:09 PM »
I get $50 a quarter cord of dry mixed hardwood. The customer has to come pick it up.

Offline timberlinetree

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2015, 06:08:06 AM »
I like the sound of $300 a cord! We are at $225 a cord but after checking Craig's list we will be going up even tho oil is going down. We just started selling firewood this week. 12" wood is no fun but we do it.

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Offline lopet

• Senior Member x2
  • Do not climb any higher your comportable falling !
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2015, 08:30:47 PM »
$ 240 for a full cord here for seasoned mixed hardwood cut and split 16".  3 cord dump loads only !   Some people get one or two or some with owb  three loads.
Just bought a truck load of ash logs for $150 a cord. I would like to double my money with processing and delivery, but no way I can get $ 300 with all the amish around here.   So that load is probably not gonna be a money maker. :(
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Firewood Log prices?

Started by Knute on Forestry and Logging

20 Replies
Last post November 10, 2014, 06:29:38 PM
by landscraper
xx
prices for firewood

Started by countryjonez on Firewood and Wood Heating

12 Replies
Last post January 16, 2011, 05:50:40 PM
by woodmills1