The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: 49 foot beam on a 21 foot bed?  (Read 2477 times)

Offline redbeard

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • whidbeysawmill.comwww.whidbeysawmill.com
Re: 49 foot beam on a 21 foot bed?
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2016, 05:58:43 PM »
If you don't want to back out of cut just take blade off and leave it in cut. And roll head back slide beam forward or backwards re hook up blade continue another 20'. If this glue lam is 2x 6 laminated together there could be metal in it depends on era but I did one that was full of drywall screws. It was from a church built in the mid 70s. Have not found a blade that can get through drywall screws.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2016, 08:36:08 PM »
The roller thing is good But, I would check for steel, I think it's full of nails or screws.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2016, 09:40:53 PM »
^^This^^ I did some glue lam ripping and there were plenty of little aluminium nails hidden in there holding the scarf joints together. They cut nice but if they were steel, it would have been tough.  I did rip a 40 footer once on the 70.  We just pushed it thru the spinning blade with the clamp set kinda loose and the backstops appropriatly adjusted. also has a couple of adjustable roller stands. didnt take 15 miniutes
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Offline ScottInCabot

• Full Member x2
  • Hobby Sawyer
    • Share Post
    • Slabs Blanks and Boards
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2016, 12:44:50 PM »
Scott, just have to keep in mind that these are manufactured beams and not just flat material.

I think it would be hard to control it if it decided to tip, when you were part way through the cut.

If it was flat material, such as plywood or OSB, it would work just fine, put the log stops all the way up and bring the clamp in tight enough to "just" allow it to slide through.

Thanks for the additional input, that's what this place is all about!   ;)

Didn't even consider something that big and weighing that much would flip up.  What does the beam weigh as it sits uncut?

I thought the original uncut piece was already flat, just twice the size as the customer wanted....sorry.

(I'll read the rest to see what the outcome happens to be, just in case I ever get 'thrown this idea' by someone)

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

Offline Upper

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2016, 01:06:11 PM »
Break out the Alaskan you put away when you bought your mill..............Upper
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
36" guillotine splitter powered by a GMC V6
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

Offline Brucer

• Senior Member x2
  • The Kootenay Sawyer - retired (for now)
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2016, 12:15:51 AM »
The most important thing is to support the beam at frequent intervals over it's whole length. The supports have to be absolutely in line with each other.

You have 49 cubic feet of wood to shift there -- 1200 to 1500 lbs. Sliding it on anything is going to be a problem. Lifting it, rolling it, and setting it back down will be easier.

Keep in mind that the vertical stiffness of a beam varies with the cube of the height. Cutting the beam in half means each piece will be 1/8 as stiff as the original, but still weigh half a much. In other words, each half will sag a lot more under it's own weight than the original beam. You don't want to find this out as you're shifting the cut portion off the end of the mill. If the ends ever droop, they will push the centre up :(.

Magicman and I both use pieces of old sawblade to drag sawdust out of the kerf. I hammer some of the set out of mine, and dull each tooth with a file. When I've got a thick board or slab on the top, I use a (new) plastic bucking wedge to pry the kerf open. It's easy to insert and can be tapped in as you get further down the cut.

You can raise and lower the toeboards a little with the (stopped) blade in the kerf. It will flex enough (but be sure to open the throat right up first). Adjust the head up or down to centre the blade in the kerf.

I have sawn open a couple of glulams and they had hardened aluminum nails in a few places. These didn't damage the blade but they will probably dull it slightly if you hit too many.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw with two 6' extensions.
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2016, 06:37:07 PM »
I've cut a beam 7 feet longer than my mill before, but stopping and moving it, but I removed the slab to free my band.  In your case, you'd have to keep your band in the cut and move the saw head with the beam, which means you'd have to slide the beam along the mill as opposed to picking it up and repositioning it with equipment. 

If you are going to slide it, wax your rails(bed cross bars) with johnson paste wax first.  As a side note, I've never hear of anyone on here waxing their bed cross bars.  I do it a lot to more easily slide cants.

You're going to need a forklift or loader to push the beam.  The mill may want to move a little, be careful.

The alaskan mill is a good idea for something so long.

It will definitely require some belt sanding after to smooth the transitions if using your band mill.

I would question what he is intending to do with the re-milled beams?  How will he know what the strength of the newly sized beams are?

I'm assuming the glue lams are doug fir.  Most of those large ones are.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2016, 08:41:05 PM »
Eric, got a pic of this beam you could post!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline Timster

• Making progress
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2016, 11:13:08 PM »
I seem to remember something about the material in the middle of the glulam being of a lower grade that on the top or bottom. I'm not an engineer but I would think twice about using a beam that was split in this way.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
35 Foot Red Oak Beam

Started by Kirk_Allen on Timber Framing/Log construction

4 Replies
Last post April 03, 2005, 10:32:00 AM
by Kirk_Allen
xx
20 Foot 2 X 12's

Started by Greg Cook on Sawmills and Milling

9 Replies
Last post August 29, 2008, 08:40:40 AM
by Greg Cook