The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Before Pulling Your Mill....Check and Re-Check!  (Read 5388 times)

Offline sealark37

• Share Post
Re: Before Pulling Your Mill....Check and Re-Check!
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2018, 08:25:23 AM »
We don't know how far he is planning to move.  Whatever it takes!     Regards, Clark

Offline Southside

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2018, 09:18:48 AM »
"Life is hard, it's even harder when you are stupid"
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline SawyerTed

• Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2018, 10:42:07 AM »
I bet it was a twenty something that borrowed a trailer to move from one crummy apartment to another. I have 3 twenty somethings, so dont ask how I know. :D
Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Converting your logs to lumber at my home or yours
    • Share Post
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2018, 10:24:35 PM »
Not a mill, but close.

A couple of months ago I had a client who had walnut tree taken down for a remodeling project and the tree service agreed to bring two logs to my mill site.  The owner's wife showed up with a fancy pickup and a big dump trailer (14K).  There were about 6 "logs" in the trailer and she asked where I wanted them.  I told her to dump them where she was and I would move them with the forklift.  

As the trailer was lifting the logs started to slide and at the tipping point, the hitch flew into the air, until one chain caught it.  The hitch was padlocked but the trailer had a 2 5/16" coupler and she had a 1 7/8" ball on the hitch.  Had to unlock the hitch, change the ball (it was a 3-way), and then unload the trailer with the forklift until the load shifted enough to let the trailer down.  Made sure the breakaway cable was connected. Good thing she didn't hit a big bump on the highway.  She had no idea how long it had been that way, apparently she had been using the trailer for brush, instead of logs.

FLASHBACK 

Many years ago, I worked a crash where a construction crew was pulling a big GD compressor south on State Line Rd.  Hit a bump and the unlocked pintle hitch opened up.  Compressor tongue clipped the back of the pickup, then crossed the center line at 35 mph, and hit an oncoming station wagon almost head-on, tongue went through the driver's compartment and elderly driver, in the other state.  Instant fatality (and mine to work since the first damage occurred in our state) and huge settlement.  

Maintaining your equipment, and following the rules is so important, although hopefully you'll never need to find out why.  
07 Timberking B-20, Custom-made log arch, 20' trailer w/ log loading arch, F350 SD flatbed dump.  Princeton piggy-back forklift.  Bobcat S250, Stihl 025C 16" and a Husqvarna 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says "He's sawin logs", I ain't snorin'.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2018, 01:44:17 AM »
Many years ago, I worked a crash where a construction crew was pulling a big GD compressor south on State Line Rd.  Hit a bump and the unlocked pintle hitch opened up.  Compressor tongue clipped the back of the pickup, then crossed the center line at 35 mph, and hit an oncoming station wagon almost head-on, tongue went through the driver's compartment and elderly driver, in the other state.  Instant fatality (and mine to work since the first damage occurred in our state) and huge settlement.

Seen the aftermath of a similar unhitching locally. The actual towbar on the vehicle failed and turned loose a trailer and boat at ~60mph. Safety chain and coupling held, but the whole bar they were attached to came loose. Again the drawbar went through the windscreen of an oncoming car and killed the driver instantly.  I think the company / engineer that designed and built the towbar got shut down over that one. Design was too flimsy and poorly welded. 

Any major "modification" to a car here in NZ has to be certified by a qualified transport engineer. The companies that make the towbars have someone qualified to certify their standard or custom designs. So you can order a standard certified towbar for your car, and your local mechanic can fit it. Something got missed in that case, and a weak design got approved. 

Another guy got charged with manslaughter or similar when he lost a trailer and it took out a couple of kids on the footpath. Coupling was worn and I think wrong size, no safety chain, and the trailers safety inspection had expired by a couple of years (would have picked up the worn coupling and missing chain). The cops charged both the driver, and his employer who owned the trailer.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Check this mill out,,,,

Started by Danny_S on Sawmills and Milling

7 Replies
Last post June 01, 2004, 07:41:24 AM
by FeltzE
xx
Check out this mill...

Started by Coon on Sawmills and Milling

46 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 02:17:52 AM
by backwoods sawyer