The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Sawed up some nice poplar today (video)  (Read 1733 times)

Offline 123maxbars

• Share Post
    • www.outofthewoodsforestry.com
Sawed up some nice poplar today (video)
« on: September 23, 2016, 07:32:37 PM »
Sawed up a good size poplar today for beams/post of a drying shed I am building.

Made a short video with a friend of mine supplying the tunes. Thought you guys would enjoy

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
W/M LT40HD, W/M KD150 Dehumidification Kiln Mahindra 4550, BMS 250 Sharpener, BMT 150 Setter, MS880 chainsaw mill,
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Sawed up some nice poplar today (video)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 09:42:08 PM »
    Nice video. I love cutting poplar - probably most common wood I cut although salvaging dead and dying ash now. A couple of observations:

1. Your LT35 starter switch is in a different place than mine (Who cares right as long as it works).

2. I noted you swing the moveable bed into place before loading the log. Advice I received was to load the log, lift it with the rollers then swing the moveable rail into place, lower the rollers and start sawing. I was told dropping the log directly on to the moveable rails can damage them, apparently more so than the permanent rails.

3. I see you are much more diligent about sweeping the sawdust off the board/cant. Good on you. If you have not tried using a 12" wide dry wall scraper (I think I picked this up from the Magic Man) I suggest you try it. You can scrape the dust off as you walk beside the mill while cutting the next board. I tend to just try to blow the sawdust out of the stacked and stickered boards with a good leaf blower but you are probably removing more sawdust.

Keep up the good work and keep those videos coming. (Maybe Dire Straits "Money for Nothing" should be our theme song :D).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline plowboyswr

• Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 10:15:03 PM »
 popcorn_smiley smiley_thumbsup keep smiley_paparazzi
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 10:30:15 PM »
    Nice video. I love cutting poplar - probably most common wood I cut although salvaging dead and dying ash now. A couple of observations:

1. Your LT35 starter switch is in a different place than mine (Who cares right as long as it works).

2. I noted you swing the moveable bed into place before loading the log. Advice I received was to load the log, lift it with the rollers then swing the moveable rail into place, lower the rollers and start sawing. I was told dropping the log directly on to the moveable rails can damage them, apparently more so than the permanent rails.

3. I see you are much more diligent about sweeping the sawdust off the board/cant. Good on you. If you have not tried using a 12" wide dry wall scraper (I think I picked this up from the Magic Man) I suggest you try it. You can scrape the dust off as you walk beside the mill while cutting the next board. I tend to just try to blow the sawdust out of the stacked and stickered boards with a good leaf blower but you are probably removing more sawdust.

Keep up the good work and keep those videos coming. (Maybe Dire Straits "Money for Nothing" should be our theme song :D).

on item 2, they WILL break if sufficiently abused. Here's proof. Owner (not me ) elected to keep sawing without the swingout, now complains the bottom board is always thick on one end.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Offline larrydown60

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 11:33:35 PM »
Thanks for sharing another good video

Offline Czech_Made

• Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 08:56:26 AM »
Nice video.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 07:51:08 PM »
Poplar I cut seems to move more than yours did.  Could be some of my logs were smaller and came off side of hill.  The stress caused stress!  :D

Offline 123maxbars

• Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 09:39:02 PM »

3. I see you are much more diligent about sweeping the sawdust off the board/cant. Good on you. If you have not tried using a 12" wide dry wall scraper (I think I picked this up from the Magic Man) I suggest you try it. You can scrape the dust off as you walk beside the mill while cutting the next board. I tend to just try to blow
the sawdust out of the stacked and stickered boards with a good leaf blower but you are probably removing more sawdust.

Great advice on the bed rail. I didn't know that. I appreciate the feedback on here as always!
W/M LT40HD, W/M KD150 Dehumidification Kiln Mahindra 4550, BMS 250 Sharpener, BMT 150 Setter, MS880 chainsaw mill,
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Offline 123maxbars

• Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 09:39:56 PM »
Poplar I cut seems to move more than yours did.  Could be some of my logs were smaller and came off side of hill.  The stress caused stress!  :D

I have noticed that the smaller juvenile poplar trees are full of stress and the larger ones (over 20in DBH) seem to behave better on the mill.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 07:49:26 AM »
Same here.  Much more growth stress in the small trees.  Small poplar can be one of the worst.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 09:02:17 AM »
Thanks for sharing, the only poplar I've seen sawn was during the shoot out, and it seems just as explained here, some move a lot, while other logs behave. happy
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Offline roghair

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 03:04:11 PM »
NIce video!
I was wondering; is this a typical feed speed or is it lower while the log is bigger?
On my home made manual mill I go much faster through the log (listened to Peter Drouin :) )
built a sawmill

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Sawed some nice oak today

Started by cutterboy on Sawmills and Milling

7 Replies
Last post June 03, 2011, 08:08:53 AM
by Magicman
xx
sawed 1000 bf of poplar today

Started by SCSawyer on Sawmills and Milling

15 Replies
Last post January 03, 2009, 06:02:27 PM
by SCSawyer
xx
Sawed some nice white oak today.

Started by warren46 on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post February 18, 2015, 08:30:33 PM
by Magicman
xx
Got a nice free walnut tree today, harvested on video.

Started by 123maxbars on Sawmills and Milling

7 Replies
Last post February 22, 2017, 07:59:03 AM
by scully