The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Reverse Roll Quarter Sawing  (Read 29875 times)

Offline PA_Walnut

• Share Post
Re: Reverse Roll Quarter Sawing
« Reply #280 on: June 08, 2018, 05:34:27 AM »
Question, do you dead stack off of the mill, cut and anchor seal and then sticker stack them?  

I'm guessing he will say, "Yes". My process is the same--we've tried stickering right off the mill, but even with 3 people on that end, can't keep up. For me, I like the zen of stacking and stickering...gives me a chance to better scrutinize and/or mark boards.

Yellow, having 20" quarter sawn white oak, is like gold...money in the bank. (as you know). I believe anything over 12" is a rarity. Check out quartersawnoak.com. For high-fleck boards, the price is $4.50/bf for under 8", but $27.20 for 16'+!! :o Martha wants a new pair of shoes. :D

So, I wonder what kinda multiplier my curly, wide quarter sawn should demand. (it's 16" or so)  ;D

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
    • Share Post
    • Whispering Pines Farm
« Reply #281 on: June 08, 2018, 10:39:15 AM »
Question, do you dead stack off of the mill, cut and anchor seal and then sticker stack them?  

Yellow, having 20" quarter sawn white oak, is like gold...money in the bank. (as you know). I believe anything over 12" is a rarity. Check out quartersawnoak.com. For high-fleck boards, the price is $4.50/bf for under 8", but $27.20 for 16'+!! :o Martha wants a new pair of shoes. :D

So, I wonder what kinda multiplier my curly, wide quarter sawn should demand. (it's 16" or so)  ;D

And I've sold all of the 16+ inchers that we've milled for that price too!

You can't see much ray fleck due to the photo angle but here is a 20" QSWO board.  The biggest challenge with the extremely large logs is that they usually have some defects in them (spalted sapwood, bugs, etc), because few people want to remove a 50"+ oak tree unless they have to.

That looks like some gorgeous QSWO!

For 16" wide, curly QSWO that is kiln dried I'd think that you could net $20. bd ft or more for 5/4.  You have to be prepared to sit on it for a while though until the right customer comes along.  Best to mill a little thicker than normal too.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #282 on: June 08, 2018, 09:12:32 PM »
Seems like it would sell better as 9/4?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline PA_Walnut

• Share Post
« Reply #283 on: June 08, 2018, 09:25:31 PM »
For 16" wide, curly QSWO that is kiln dried I'd think that you could net $20. bd ft or more for 5/4.  You have to be prepared to sit on it for a while though until the right customer comes along.  Best to mill a little thicker than normal too.

I try to saw anything over 12-14" as 5/4. However, often bend the rules for qsawn since its stable.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
    • Share Post
    • Whispering Pines Farm
« Reply #284 on: June 08, 2018, 10:14:10 PM »
Seems like it would sell better as 9/4?
It might but the drying time is so much longer.  I have not had any problems selling it as 5/4.  Usually folks making either tables, cabinets, or using it for a single panel in a frame and panel door.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #285 on: June 08, 2018, 10:42:31 PM »
Robert, those are beautiful quarter sawn boards. Question, do you dead stack off of the mill, cut and anchor seal and then sticker stack them?  

One more question.  This is for any who do a lot of quarter sawing.  What is the minimum diameter log that you typically quarter saw?
I saw alone most times, and deadstack everything.  With the drag back, roller table and a pallet, I just whittle until the log is gone and I don't want to stop to sticker.  With QS wood, I don't want to lose my rhythm and lose the fleck.   Much like the video 123Maxbars made, at 15:00 minutes or so, I'm pulling the boards back pretty constantly as Customsawyer is doing.    

Also, I don't pre buck long logs that I QS so most every log will be longer than my pallet.  Even though I get a lot of very good logs, such as what made this stack of QS white oak, there are inevitable boards that will have knots.  

Since our standard board length is 8 feet, I don't want to just pack saw this stack and get what I get, as it randomly came off the saw, I want to quickly inspect each board so that the best 8 foot section gets put on the pallet, even if it means I have to spin some boards around.  Then when I pack saw them after sticking, I have an entire pallet of high value, dead clean, no knot, full length 8 footers and pallet of lesser quality, lower value short boards that may have a knot or other defect in them that I can clean up if I have to.  

A 2 foot diameter log is about the smallest I'd quartersaw.

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
« Reply #286 on: June 09, 2018, 07:38:55 AM »
Thank you for your thorough explanation.  John and I have quite a few live oak logs to saw if we ever get enough space to stack more wood.  Some may be candidates for quarter sawing but with a manual mill, that becomes a laborious endeavor.

Offline boonesyard

• Full Member x2
  • I've got a little sawdust in my pocket
    • Share Post
« Reply #287 on: February 12, 2019, 02:47:36 PM »
I just read this entire thread, watched all the videos, studied all the pics. WOW, did I learn a lot!! I've got a load of white oak coming in and a fair amount of red and white oak we'll be cutting this year. I cannot wait to try this method of QSing on some of the nicer logs. Thanks YH for your all the wonderful info, what a forum.
LT50 wide
iDRY Standard kiln (here soon)
JD 4520 w/FEL
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #288 on: February 13, 2019, 12:37:13 AM »
Glad to help.  You might practice on some lower value logs before you start whittling on the high dollar ones.  The method works great. I was just dressing some RRQS ambrosia 8/4 sycamore this afternoon and it looked so nice I snapped a picture.  Let me know if we can help or answer questions.

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline boardmaker

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #289 on: February 13, 2019, 09:48:53 AM »
YH,

That Sycamore looks awesome. 

Offline boonesyard

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #290 on: February 14, 2019, 08:08:26 AM »
Has anyone tried this on elm?.
LT50 wide
JD 4520 w/FEL

Offline curved-wood

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #291 on: February 14, 2019, 11:05:13 AM »
Is your elm has special wood grain when cut quater saw ? The elm around here (Qubec ) has a beautifull grain when flat saw. Very prone to twisting specially those big one that grow in the open field; the grain is twisted like a steel cable, I guess it help for wind resistance.

Offline boonesyard

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #292 on: February 14, 2019, 11:45:21 AM »
I've never QS elm, thinking about it now would be a waste of time. None of it is very clear and it is really nice looking in flat sawn slabs.
LT50 wide
JD 4520 w/FEL

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
    • Share Post
« Reply #293 on: February 14, 2019, 12:19:33 PM »
My experience with quarter sawing elm is limited to the middle cuts when slabbing. In my way of thinking, the flat sawn slabs look much nicer and have more character. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Offline kennymcd

• Member*
  • I'm new - Need help Quarter Sawing Thick Stock
    • Share Post
    • Synetic Solutions
« Reply #294 on: April 24, 2019, 01:25:46 PM »
As the most recent newbie to FF, this is my very first input. I just went through this entire thread, watched every video and went through every pic. What I learned about quarter sawn techniques is of huge value. Thanks. But, I do have a challenge that I hope you can steer me in the right direction. I have a sawmill supplier of Sipo Utile in Cameroon, Africa. These logs start at 30 inches and go to 60 inches. I need them only quarter sawn in 12/4 and 8/4 thicknesses. I have sent my guys at the mill over there hand drawn drawings, web pics and even a Frank Miller basic video of quarter sawing. Between the French / English translation and their antique methods of sawing, I am not getting through to them. Does anyone know of a "quarter sawing 101" either video of manual - or even course material somewhere that I can send them to start them off in the right direction? They do have both vertical and horizontal band saws - and lots of manual labor. They seem to be real experienced, and confident - but only in what they know. Please help if you can.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #295 on: April 24, 2019, 01:48:40 PM »
Kenny welcome to the forum.  it is nice to have friends around the world.  I am not sure of a nice concise video, but someone here will have some info.  Thanks for posting you question.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #296 on: June 23, 2019, 08:34:44 PM »
  I have read and re-read this thread a number of times meaning to try it sometime. Well I have a customer on my backlog with some big red oak and he only wants quartersawn lumber so I ran a test case today using a 12' stock RO log I had. It was really a bit small for quarter sawing at 19" SED and it has been down nearly 2 years with very punky sapwood. The pith was a little off center to boot. I made a shallow cut on all 4 sides then cut a 7-1/4" cant off the top, I cut 4- 4/4 boards out of the middle leaving a 5-1/4" cant on the bottom. My camera battery was dead so I stopped sawing, put the battery on charge and went and mowed my grass while topping up the battery. After finishing mowing the yard (about an hour) I had enough battery juice to take a few pictures and resumed sawing.

One cant ready to saw, 4 center cuts to be edged and another cant on the arms.

I'm getting some nice fleck but not real wide boards.

I sawed the first cant and edged the center boards then put this cant on the mill. When I looked at my sharpie lines I realized I had the cant backwards/upside down.

I reversed it and got my blade about parallel to my sharpie marks (may not can see them here)

I cut off a pie shape and found the fleck

When finished I probably had wasted way more than I should. My yield was only 96 bf and that included saving boards down to 3" wide but they were full of fleck. I found edging was harder because I did not have any true 90 degree cuts to stand the flitches vertical. Also I see the throat depth on my LT35 can be a limiting factor on how wide a cant I can cut and resulting boards I will get.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Den-Den

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • Dennis Wood Art
« Reply #297 on: June 23, 2019, 09:14:19 PM »
As the most recent newbie to FF, this is my very first input. I just went through this entire thread, watched every video and went through every pic. What I learned about quarter sawn techniques is of huge value. Thanks. But, I do have a challenge that I hope you can steer me in the right direction. I have a sawmill supplier of Sipo Utile in Cameroon, Africa. These logs start at 30 inches and go to 60 inches. I need them only quarter sawn in 12/4 and 8/4 thicknesses. I have sent my guys at the mill over there hand drawn drawings, web pics and even a Frank Miller basic video of quarter sawing. Between the French / English translation and their antique methods of sawing, I am not getting through to them. Does anyone know of a "quarter sawing 101" either video of manual - or even course material somewhere that I can send them to start them off in the right direction? They do have both vertical and horizontal band saws - and lots of manual labor. They seem to be real experienced, and confident - but only in what they know. Please help if you can.

If these guys are experienced and confident, you are likely taking the wrong approach when telling them HOW to quartersaw.  Would be better to listen to WHY they don't ($$$) and tell them WHY they should ($$$).
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #298 on: June 23, 2019, 09:36:52 PM »
Kennymcd,

Are you just buying the lumber or supplying any equipment and training? If you are just buying the lumber I'd quote a price for the quartersawn lumber then reject anything that does not make the grade. Do you have a rep there inspecting the lumber before it is loaded and shipped? I'd suggest that if you are not going over yourself.

What kind of equipment are they using (Big commercial bandmills or something similar to ours with 26-36 inch cuts). I saw some pretty decent lumber made by free-hand sawing with chainsaws over there. I was in Doaula and our office overlooked the port. I remember huge stacks of logs staged there to ship and remember some where one log completely filled the truck bed. We visited the CAR and on our last day we went to a French run sawmill there. They used a big band mill - bands looked to be at least 12" wide. Are they sawing in Douala. Yaounde, or other locations? Good luck. I sure miss being over there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #299 on: June 23, 2019, 10:41:35 PM »
WV,
One of the trade off when QSawing is the number of center cut boards that are taken because that detracts from the overall thickness of the remaining cant, which dictates the width of any resulting QS boards.  Its important to take the pith out, but for a log that size, I would probably limit to 2 center cut boards, and use the extra inches for the cant thickness. This would be the same in any QS technique, as the remaining cant was only 5 1/4 thick, whether it was RR or conventionally split into quarters.  The RR technique can take them at the hypotenuse angle so may yield a couple 6 wide, but they are still not going to be real wide.

The best QS candidate for smaller logs is a very off center pith so that the one side will yield wide boards, although the other side will yield narrower.  
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Reverse Roll QS on a manual mill

Started by kelLOGg on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post April 12, 2017, 07:03:24 AM
by kelLOGg
xx
Applying Reverse Roll Quartersawing to an Onion

Started by WDH on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

9 Replies
Last post July 25, 2018, 07:40:01 PM
by WDH