The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: $ per BTU: oil vs wood  (Read 6413 times)

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: $ per BTU: oil vs wood
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 01:35:53 PM »
I've never heard a single person here in VT call it a bush cord, so I'm guessing it's a regional thing. I never bothered to look into the meaning, since no one around here uses the term. I always assumed it meant the same thing as a face cord (which is a pretty nebulous thing, since it doesn't specify length). Learned something new today.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline rank

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2018, 12:03:52 AM »
I think Iím going to stop using the term face cord.  Being as you have to explain what it is anyway, might as well just call it a quarter cord or third cord

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2018, 12:40:26 AM »
Firewood here is sold by the Cube (cubic meter). So imagine a box, 1m cube, and fill it with firewood, that's the measure. So you measure your truck / trailer box, and work out how many cube, and charge accordingly. Easy enough to verify with a tape measure.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2018, 07:46:04 AM »
Firewood here is sold by the Cube (cubic meter). So imagine a box, 1m cube, and fill it with firewood, that's the measure. So you measure your truck / trailer box, and work out how many cube, and charge accordingly. Easy enough to verify with a tape measure.

I assume a Cube is defined as neatly stacked, not just thrown in?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-11 and still feelin pretty darned good!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2018, 09:34:21 AM »
that is my question John.
I sold many thousands of cords of firewood stumpage in my career.
Here in NY the official measure is a standard cord 4x4x8, containing 128 cu ft of wood and air.
My sales were on an estimate basis but in doing this for 25 yrs only had a handful of complaints and I addressed them.
Firewood sales were while accomplishing TSI.
the fuel oil vs firewood figures cause my eyes to glaze over as I am a simpleton.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
241 acres of woodland

Offline Kwill

• Cedar cutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2018, 04:52:17 PM »
When figuring the fuel vs firewood are you taking the labor in account?
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2018, 09:28:43 PM »

Since he is using the market selling price he is taking into account the labor involved in producing it. Yes, it's also less convenient than fuel oil or propane, which is why it never will command the same price.

Offline buckgrunt

• E-Classic 2300
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2018, 04:01:40 PM »
If you take into consideration the man hours it takes to log, cut, split, deliver, and stack firewood, I would say that  based solely on $ per BTU, your better off with oil/propane/natural gas.  But burning wood provides great exercise, time outdoors, and the peace of mind of not contributing to the oil/gas man's yacht payment......This is PRICELESS.

Offline Kwill

• Cedar cutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2018, 08:10:39 PM »
Plus the fact that there isnt a replacement for wood heat. Most people who are use to wood heat freeze when they go to gas
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Offline rank

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 10:46:56 PM »

Since he is using the market selling price he is taking into account the labor involved in producing it. Yes, it's also less convenient than fuel oil or propane, which is why it never will command the same price.
Correct.  As an example I have a neighbor that puts 7 cords/yr through his wood fired boiler to heat his house and shop.  If he was to pay $400 delivered x 7 thatís $2800.  Based on btuís heíd spend $5600 on oil.  So he saves ~$2800 if he buys the wood and ~$5600 if he gets standing timber for free (which he does).

**not counting boiler efficiency

Offline Kwill

• Cedar cutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2018, 11:07:44 PM »
400 a cord? That's expensive
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Offline rjwoelk

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • countrysidefirewood
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2018, 12:07:45 AM »
My area wood goes for 160 to 175 for a 1/3 cord. Truck box load. 380 to 480 a cord.
That said just geting the 16 ft logs to my door is over 220. Then the processing labour and proffit.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2018, 08:36:58 AM »

There are people who get that around here for seasoned hardwood. We're in a fairly heavily wooded area, but just on the edge of the "bedroom community" area for Burlington, VT. $300-$350 is probably more typical, but the guys who sell for $400 delivered - dumped, not stacked (and have a good reputation) don't seem to have any trouble selling out. The least two winters were so mild, almost everyone had some left over. This winter, no problem at all getting $350 delivered.

Green wood goes for less. Then there are always the guys who sell for beer money...

Offline rank

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2018, 08:56:00 AM »
I should mention it's $400 CDNso ~ $325 US.

That is on the upper end of what guys are getting here.  My neighbor sold 40 cords for $300 last year.  Increased his price to $350 this year and still was sold out by early November.  Seasoned hardwood this time of the year you can almost name your price.

Offline Kwill

• Cedar cutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2018, 07:16:11 PM »
Sounds like I need to load a semi full of red oak and head that way. A cord here brings 120.00-180.00.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2018, 07:35:16 PM »
How many tickets for transporting firewood would you get? :o

My house would burn 300 gallons a month in oil or four cords dry hardwood. The oil is cheaper, but not as cheap as burning the slabwood that I have to dispose of anyway. I have time and no money, so slabwood it is. I tell people that if I had to buy wood, I'd buy oil.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2018, 08:05:10 PM »
How many tickets for transporting firewood would you get? :o

My house would burn 300 gallons a month in oil or four cords dry hardwood. The oil is cheaper, but not as cheap as burning the slabwood that I have to dispose of anyway. I have time and no money, so slabwood it is. I tell people that if I had to buy wood, I'd buy oil.  :D

You must have a heck of a deal on oil, or your cordwood is really expensive (or your cordwood burner is not very efficient). I don't think I've ever run into someone who says cordwood is more expensive to heat with - more hassle? yes, but more expensive?

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2018, 09:36:58 PM »
Oil is $2.67. 300x2.67= $801 4 cords of wood delivered has got to be $1,000, maybe more. Then I would have to feed the boiler twice a day. Minimum $200 a month savings in cold weather.  As far as log length, it's a minimum of $700 for a tri-axle, but most are $800 or more. Then you have to cut and split, that is worth something, too. I based the comparison on purchased split wood to keep the labor factor out of the equation. If you value your time, log length would probably be break even with oil.  If my house was well insulated, and my oil burner wasn't a 1947 Arcoliner stolen from a steam ship, I'd probably only burn $400 a month in oil.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Offline jason.weir

• Share Post
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2018, 09:54:53 PM »
I'd guess Dave is heating with a outside wood boiler, I've said for years that if I had to buy wood to feed my boiler, it would be significantly cheaper to buy oil or gas.

If you're heating with an efficient inside stove or maybe one of the newer gasifier units it may be different, but the old Central Boiler's are wood pigs, very inefficient.

How inefficient you ask, a 10 years back we went on vacation in Feb and had family stay to watch the house, kids & animals.  I didn't want them to have to feed the boiler so I hooked up an oil  burner (I have the dual-fuel option).  We left Saturday morning with the boiler full of dry hardwood, a 55 gallon oil drum full of #2 and 4 - 5 gallon cans of #2 sitting beside it.  By Thursday the 75 gallons of #2 was gone & they were burning wood..  That was the last time I used the oil burner..

Jason

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2018, 10:18:26 PM »
I have a 6048 Dual Fuel, but I didn't have a burner in it. I'm  burning oil in the house furnace, which is very inefficient.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter