The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: $ per BTU: oil vs wood  (Read 6326 times)

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
Re: $ per BTU: oil vs wood
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2018, 09:11:07 PM »
Dave,I better not say what I feed my OWB with.   ;D Dead cedar,I mean the kind that don't even have any limbs on it. Been leaning against another tree for many,many years. No limbs at all. Then I suppose the dead standing fir would not sound good. I won't mention the stuff that has fell on the ground either. I have a tractor and driving across a dead tree on the gorund 8 inches through is hard on the tractor. Might just as well burn it. I burn alot of dead white pine too. My OWB will take a 54 inch stick,but very seldom it it really filled. With crooked wood and maybe a limb that is sticking out,makes it next to impossible to fill it to the max. I had my logged about 4 years ago,I'm still picking stuff up.
I need a  way to get rid of this wood and a OWB is the answer. Been a few times when I had a water temp of 140,but throw in some more wood and those blowers come on and in less than an hour,I have it back up to 180.
I has alot of dead standing white pine. Still have some left to cut. Like one of my friends tells me,I'm just giving it more drying time.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2018, 09:46:53 PM »
--Like I said they don't care what they burn no fuss about who has the best wood .Just throw it in there .Forced air draft it just does it's thing .They aren't for me but would work well for others .
Although good ole Dave mentioned cast iron radiators he didn't specify .If they are the ones made about 1930 they weigh about 300 pounds a piece and aren't nearly as efficient as modern hydronic units used on modern hot water heating  .Ya gotta do what you gotta do at times which I can certainly relate to .
Now these prices on firewood seem a tad bit high if one were to heat that way .I'm 70 years old and grew up with at least some form of wood heat all my life  and I've never ever paid for firewood .I wouldn't bother with if I had to buy it .

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2018, 01:31:30 AM »
Outdoor boilers being able to burn junk is what got wood outlawed up here. They tried several years to just outlaw the outdoor boilers, but never could get it done, finally added wood stoves, pellet stoves, coal and waste oil and got her done.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2018, 05:42:04 AM »
-so much for the story Alaska is the last frontier ---

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2018, 06:22:14 AM »
junk wood ???   :D New word for me. I don't want to turn this thread into a junk wood debate.
I burn ALOT of dead standing wood. Did I all ready say ALOT?  ;D I know when a tree falls over and lays on the ground it starts to rot and adds all that good stuff back into the ground. But I'm not about to walk by 30-40 dead fir and start cutting 30-40 good hard wood trees. Those are my money trees. Last I knew I can't sell dead fir,cedar,hemlock,and pine. But it will and does make heat for me. Again,the reason I bought a OWB.
Just so others know,my type of OWB will smother the fire out when it's not needed to heat the water. So,when I open the door,there appears not to even be a fire in the firebox. When I went and looked at the Heatmor,the dealer did that. He left the feed door open and we talked about the OWB for a few minutes and with the door being open there was air getting to the wood and it started to burn.
I have burned all types of wood off my land.Good seasoned hardwood. Green hardwood and pine. I do mean green,cut it and a hour later burn it. No more green for me. First off the smoke, there was a thread on here,or is it steam? All I know for sure is it took ALOT more wood. Won't do that again.
Now I have nothing to back this up,no fancy graphs or power point.  ;D  Just 10 years of burn time. I feel I don't burn much more dead wood than hardwood. Yes,I know I burn more,but it's a way to get rid of something that is not worth anything. And as far as smoke,I don't see that much of a diffeance. There again,I have no way to check out the particles in the air. Now if I am burning some of that wood dead wood that has been on the ground,now that will smoke,due to it not being dry. I do noticed I burn more with that wood.
And I burn what slabs I have. I only saw for me, I don't get 10 cord a year.In my area I can still burn my slabs.So on matter what,my slabs will make smoke.
OWB does have a bad name for smoke. The gasser are much better. I have an old cook stove that we use to use. That thing will smoke. But that's OK,because it's not a OWB.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Grizzly

• I wanna go camping!
    • Share Post
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2018, 01:03:17 PM »
So most of us use an OWB for waste recovery and not so much for a calculated cost of btu. Makes sense. I used to go through about $1700.00 worth of coal each winter and now I use up some chainsaw hours and extra wheaties for the boys to cut it all and keep it fed. I'm happy with my waste recovery program and I haven't wasted a minute counting how much wood goes in cause its already been paid for by my sawmill and dumped as waste. But I'd sure like a better boiler for wood. One designed for coal does not do as well with wood.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Offline Kwill

• Cedar cutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2018, 02:52:29 PM »
The water type owb seem to smoke more or worse than the force air units. I would guess because they spend more time smoldering than the force air.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Offline rjwoelk

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • countrysidefirewood
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2018, 06:16:45 AM »
What is a bush cord?

You too huh.
Thats when you have cut a pile of wood in the bush, and your now totally "bushed." :D
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-11 and still feelin pretty darned good!
    • Share Post
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2018, 09:21:02 AM »
As you can see by my profile I am pretty old but still feed my 13 year old classic OWB twice a day, usually 10 pieces of medium size split and DRY (2 years) wood, more if really cold.
My house is well insulated, about 3200 sq feet heated to 73 degrees.
I still cut some but my son and grandson now do most of  the heavy lifting.
My 65 acres of Northern Hardwood forest has supported 2 households for 25 years now, burning tops from 2 timber sales and doing TSI work.
Regarding green wood cfarms comment is right on.
When I sold standing firewood in my forestry career, I would tell the green burning proponents to take 2 paper towels soak one, wring as much water out as possible, light, or try to light both and see which burns better.
Seemed to open their eyes.
My classic is not forced draft and burns fairly clean, smoke for a few minutes and then pretty clean.
I had a Taylor in the 90's forced draft that ate wood almost as fast as I could carry it to the unit.
Dont know if they are still made.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
241 acres of woodland

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter