Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Hog advice  (Read 5699 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: Hog advice
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 12:03:14 AM »
Nah im definitely gonna pass on these.  Too much else to work on from now til i die  right now. 
Revelation 3:20

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2018, 09:53:06 AM »
I think you made the right choice there personally.  For future reference everything said here is good advice as usual though, we just butchered 2 a week ago and ended up with chops, loin, and 140#s of sausage, it's worth the work/time!  I wouldn't take the time to mess with an old boar though.

Offline Bay Beagle

• ~ FLATLANDER ~
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2018, 12:07:35 PM »
I think you made the right decision too.  I buy 60+ lbs of pork loin trimmings from the butcher, and get a few bags of LEGGS OLD PLANTATION #10 sausage seasoning, few hands of casings - add a lil more red pepper, and couple beef bouillon cubes - and start stuff'n & let sit 25 hours before freezing.

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2018, 03:48:31 PM »
every thing looks good except for the miller lite can  steve_smiley :D :D

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2018, 05:11:14 PM »
I'm about out of sausage myself so this thread is giving me a nudge.

Last batch I did I didn't let it sit, went from the casing press right into the freezer which turned out to be a mistake. It didn't let the casing stiffen up. I also had too much fat.

Every time has been a learning experience, this will be my 4th attempt.

I make mostly Italian sausage although it has been a bit inconsistent as I'm playing with spices.

I don't think the leggs has enough flavor by it's self so I add Italian dry mix, black pepper, fennel seed to the leggs.

I get a couple hogs from the Amish in Tennessee. Not having electricity for refrigeration they kill them in the morning, process, then I pick it up that evening. Last batch I had them grind the sausage meat for me and they put too much fat in. I'm thinking it was about 160 lbs of sausage from 2 hogs.

The First 60 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline newoodguy78

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2018, 06:35:06 PM »
When I make sausage I try to stick to around 20% fat or a little under,usually add two pounds of fat to ten pounds of lean meat. That ratio seems to go over well with people I give it to 

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2018, 08:31:36 PM »
i always went 2 lbs less meat on the leggs seasoning and seemed to be stronger there breakfast seasoning is good at the 50lb mark 

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2018, 11:26:12 PM »
I've got a deal with a friend, he raises the pork and beef and I supply him with firewood 8) 8) 8)  I've got to pick up the latest pig from the processor Friday.  We had the hams, bacon and loins smoked and the rest turned into brats and polish sausage.  $293.00 is the total to haul, kill, process, smoke, and freeze this time.  Good deal for us 8) 8) 8) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2018, 02:57:40 AM »
My neighbor took my trailer over to go get a few today.  Theyd busted the pen a while back and finished eating up the yard, so they started going down the road and the law showed up.  He was gonna have to start shooting them.  

Im prepared to hear that the slaughter bill is gonna be pretty painful and meat disappointing but we shall see.  Other neighbor says if you can shoot em while theyre calm over a bucket of feed and immediately gut the nuts off while still kicking, the meats fine.  It was just too much of a chore for me on a chance of unedible meat, i cant afford the time or materials to waste.  
Revelation 3:20

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2018, 03:31:46 AM »
Dem nuts be some of the best eatin you will ever get.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Offline olcowhand

• I'm new- ish!
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2018, 04:59:16 AM »
I'm with the majority here, Mike. Pass, or maybe take the two to a sale and use the money toward a fed hog (210- ~235 lbs). I've processed 350- 400 lbs Sows (female that has had a litter), taking best cuts and the rest into whole hog sausage. That worked alright, but I would never consider processing a boar that mature.
Best fed hogs for processing are "barrows" (castrated male) or "gilts" (un-bred females).
They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Offline PA_Walnut

• Share Post
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2018, 06:03:30 AM »
OK, so I'm a visual kinda dude... Sunday had bacons on the smoker! (cooking chicken under it to receive the holy-grail drippings)  :o

Be sure to leave skin on if you want to make great bacon....easy to cure and smoke with a few critical steps in mind. Can send you some tips!

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Baker Portable Edger with Kubota Diesel
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln

Offline Bay Beagle

• ~ FLATLANDER ~
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2018, 08:33:56 AM »
the signs of getting older, or aging gracefully ........... in our Youth, we talked about women, wild adventures and wild nights ..... now were swapping recipes ~

for every 20 lbs of pork mixture - I use one package of LEGGS #10, 40 oz. water, 7 beef bouillon cubes & 8 tsp crushed red pepper - mix it all into the water, and let sit for a hour
coarse grind meat ...... mix the water mixture into the meat until it stiffins ..... regrind the meat with a smaller plate (3/16) - STUFF CASINGS OR 1 lb. MEAT PACKAGE - let sit 12+ hours, shrink wrap casings in food saver packages - then freeze

for hot Italian sausage - I use LEGGS #103 - and process the same way as above

always trying new ways

Offline TKehl

• Senior Member x2
  • Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2018, 09:21:14 AM »
Boars can go either way.  Some have strong odor, others don't. If he smells "musky" (not just pig smell), so will the meat.  (Last boar I had was only musky when kept separate.  Put him in with the ladies and he smelled a lot better.  ;D)

I'm good with young boars up to say 250 Lbs.  Bigger is more of a gamble.  Probably giving away as it's not worth it to take to auction.  Around here a person might get $30 for a big old boar on a good day.  Most of them go to Mexico as cheap protein along with the old Mutton from what I'm told.

Hogs I take to butcher are about $0.50/lb vac packed plus grinding or anything special like brats.  

For hanging, our butcher won't hang more than 7 days on pork and prefers less.  Doesn't help it as much as deer or beef.  

If you do butcher yourself, get the meat almost frozen before you grind and it will go a lot better.  Also, keeping any animal calm at butcher gives better meat IMHO.  ;)
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2018, 11:32:04 AM »
Not to get off track too far but we used to raise hogs, nothing big but would sell about 20 (that's what the trailer would hold) a week, anyway all dirt raised but when the market fell out we quit.  For some reason and I don't know why, but we kept the last boar, and kept it, and kept it, when dad finally sold it it (Tom) weighed 920+ 
#.  He was pretty gentle but would eat 5 gallons of corn a day  :o.  You could've made 2 meals out of the oysters and still had left overs  :D.  He's the reason why I can't stand sausage pizza anymore  ;D.
P.S. I still have recurring nightmares about raising pigs again.

Offline TKehl

• Senior Member x2
  • Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2018, 12:03:09 PM »
Sandhill, I hear you.  Dad used to have 100 sows on dirt.  We got back in a few years ago with 7 sows growing for custom butcher.  But, we are getting out for now as there are too many irons in the fire and pigs were pretty low on the profit side and high on time requirement (fences).

Fattening out my last sow now.  Kept her as a bred gilt and already sold the piglets.  Bittersweet.  Will miss having pigs, but it frees up some time and besides they are HARD on the ground.
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2018, 06:11:28 PM »
It has been many years since I have kept up with the price of hogs, but I can't imagine boars that size selling for 30 bucks.
For several years we kept around 300 head and raise all our own sows, so, we bought, sold and traded boars on a regular basis. I do not remember what we got or laid back then, but it was much more than that, heck back then we got as much as 25 bucks and never under 20 for weaners at 6 weeks old.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2018, 06:50:57 PM »
they are getting 100-150$ for piglets around here and 200-300$ for butcher size go figure its not worth raising your own i only get from 2 people i know what they feed  there is a few people that feed  there pigs road kill steve_smileythat must be the nastiest meat ever think i would rather have them boars that mike was talking about ;D 

Offline olcowhand

• I'm new- ish!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2018, 06:58:47 PM »
Mike,
As you can see by the response you've gotten on this thread, FF Members have as much (if not more) experience opening up different kinds of Hogs as they (we?) have opening up different kinds of wood. I'm humbled by both the wealth of knowledge and the willingness to share it, but all was given freely in your best interest.
Good luck in your future endeavors to find meat. If you lived closer, I'd find a way of getting you some cheap pork.....
PA Walnut, That is some good looking smoked meat you got going there; when's breakfast?
They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Offline WLC

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2018, 07:53:05 PM »
OK, so I'm a visual kinda dude... Sunday had bacons on the smoker! (cooking chicken under it to receive the holy-grail drippings)  :o

Be sure to leave skin on if you want to make great bacon....easy to cure and smoke with a few critical steps in mind. Can send you some tips!

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Now I gotta wipe the drool off my puter keyboard...  Man that made my mouth water.  Would love the chicken marinated in bacon drippings while it cooked too.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Need advice

Started by Pjames on Sawmills and Milling

9 Replies
Last post May 21, 2018, 07:07:31 AM
by Pjames
xx
need some advice

Started by west penn on Drying and Processing

8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2010, 10:21:19 PM
by west penn