The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Sleep Paralysis  (Read 6438 times)

Offline Jack S

• Share Post
Re: Sleep Paralysis
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2019, 09:18:17 PM »
 Jeff, My cousin was a research technician for the psychology dept at cornell university and he told me that a professor years ago did a live research project on this very issue and found that any kind of light triggered it. What they did then was they had the patients wear eye masks when sleeping and they then didnt have the episodes. This didn't prove why it happened or a cure But I call it a band aid fix. Apparently if a person opened their eyes when asleep and saw any kind of light it only triggered part of the brain.  If you haven't heard of this  just make sure there is no kind of light in your room. The masks I was told can be bought in the cosmetic dept in stores. women use them for something I know nothing about. Ed and I have been retired from cornell over 20 years so this research was done sometime prior to that.  Who knows give it some thoughtI know you have also mentioned you have some eye problems could be related.  were all rootin for ya  Jack

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2019, 09:58:30 PM »
Jack, I have two. One Tammy made me a while back and a purchased one. I've had incidents while wearing them. Lately I've been trying to eliminate all artificial light from where I'm to sleep as well as wear earplugs. Inevitably once I think I might have a system down that works, it has failed.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2019, 10:04:22 PM »
I know this is a big problem, and you prob. can remember details, but I would record in a journal all the things you are trying, and all the details that precede your episodes.  Sometimes, this is a semi-hypnotic, half asleep and half awake state.  However admittedly, if I had the answer, I would tell you now.  it carries a little weight when you see a new doc for the first time to have dates and details, and not just generalizations.  best wishes!
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.

Offline Jack S

• Share Post
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2019, 10:11:25 PM »
 Great Jeff you are on the light thing already. From what I was told it didnt take much to trigger it.  even a lit clock in the room if your eye happened to see it. car lights flashing thru the window.   Jack

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2019, 01:01:45 PM »
What if you poke some smot before bed?  Better or worse?
Revelation 3:20

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2019, 01:10:20 PM »
Ive never tried, but if I thought it was the cure, id try it.

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2019, 02:12:32 PM »
not sure if you have a beer occasionally or not, but what ever you try, keep track of results.  If you are stuck half between asleep and dreaming, and half awake state, getting more asleep might help.  Again, I am not recommending either type of "self medicating" with either, but keep track of results of what ever you do.  Not sure of the status where you are, but I avoid things that could cause me to loose my med. license, or DOT license.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2019, 02:17:07 PM »
Beer is not helpful due to the gotta wake up and pee effect.  I do keep track of the things I try, such as the blindfold. Really makes so difference.

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2019, 02:35:26 PM »
I do not know any docs in your area but let me know if I can help. I usually have a beer when I get home at 1 am  after working a 14 hours day.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2019, 10:27:02 PM »
Welp, ive always been an insomniac and nothing ever helped me sleep better or more consistently.  20 some yrs ago anyways when it'd get ya in a boatload more trouble than now. 

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2019, 10:28:17 PM »
Well, its legal here now, just unobtainable.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2019, 10:34:55 PM »
How ironic. 

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2019, 10:36:08 PM »
I have had a few cancer pt. report that they feel less anxious and that is with the hemp oil that does not make you high.  There has not been much good research, in part due to the prev. stigma.  I agree if it is helpful that is great.  The biggest proponents however have used it for so many years they are not exactly unbiased.  My sister in law gets mad if I even refer to it as a drug.  "its an herb".  Most highly effective medicinals also have significant side effects.  To each there own.  Hope you find something soon Jeff.

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2019, 10:48:39 PM »
I have weird side effects to meds. If there is a strange side effect, I'm the guy that has it.  One time after a shoulder surgery I was given a scopolamine patch for nausea.  This resulted in something that was akin to the sleep paralysis. Vivid hallucinations. As soon as I closed my eyes they would hit me. riding a merry go around with the devil and trying to run the opposite way of rotation as he chased me. It was real as could be. I called the nurse in because I had no idea what was happening to me. She sat down in the chair in my room as I explained what was going on. As she starts to tell be it was probably the patch I had on for nausea, a huge spider, probably 3 ft across came down the wall and put a leg on her shoulder. I'll never forget it, and I can remember shouting at her to GET THE PATCH OFF ME!   Opioids upset my stomach and keep me awake and constipate me and do nothing for pain. Refuse to take them.  Motrin based pain releivers make me so I can not pee.  I am not allowed to take Tylenol due to having that really bad case of pancreatitis  in 2010. Pretty much any medication and me do not get along.

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2019, 10:58:18 PM »
for how many years now and how often does this afflict you.  if you don't mind me asking.

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2019, 11:03:34 PM »
My buddy Dr. Sourk is a pulmonologist and has been doing sleep medicine since it became a thing in the 80s.  I will see if he knows anyone in your area that is an expert.

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2019, 11:05:12 PM »
The sleep paralysis? I've had it for long as I can remember, but an episode might occur once a year or less, up until probably 2 years ago. They they started coming quite often. Lately its at least once a week, sometimes 3 or 4 times a week, sometimes two times a day, once 3 times. The hallucinations are new in this last two years as well.  I had one night before last and was calling for help. I heard Tammy coming, arrive, and then I could hear wheezing and heavy breathing. I felt Tammy grab my arm, and was waiting for her to shake me awake. Turns out, Tammy was not there yet. I heard the real Tammy coming and just before she got to me, the sleep paralysis hand on my arm let go and the wheezing and breathing stopped.

If I end up on my back, I can almost be assured of an episode.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2019, 08:00:51 AM »
Wow Jeff,the more you post the more goose bumps I get. :( 
Brenda is like you,read the side affects,one in 150,000 will have it,Brenda and you are one of the 150,000.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2019, 08:40:22 AM »
I awoke if you want to call it that, this morning about 5:30. At least this episode was of the generic variety. Just the paralysis with no side show. I called for help but Tammy didn't hear me, so had to endure it until I came out of it by myself. Problem with the being able to call, is sometimes I just think I am yelling, but as it turns out, only whispering or sometimes not actually saying anything at all.  I know this because it happens so many times with me that Tammy has been able to witness the different scenarios.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2019, 09:23:05 AM »
Man, your situation sucks.  

Im not a pothead or even much a med user at all and dont care to be around frequent recreational stoners,  but i kinda think you ought to give it a try pretty soon.  If i was in your boat id need to know sooner than later.  And over 20 some years i have seen it improve a handful of very angry, anxious high strung people dramatically like nothing else could.  About face changes for the better which is rare in life.  My best friends dad was one of em.  He shoulda started 30 yrs sooner, whole life woulda been better for him and those around him.  Waited until he was dying of cancer and was suddenly likable. A shame. 

Anyway, if it dont work ya just add it to the list of things youve crossed off. I hope ya figure it put soon.  The lack of sleep has to be aging the both of you pretty fast. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Bandmill Shopping, analysis, paralysis...

Started by Roundhouse on Sawmills and Milling

34 Replies
Last post May 03, 2016, 07:32:00 AM
by Magicman
xx
Can't Sleep

Started by Autocar on General Board

12 Replies
Last post November 16, 2011, 07:17:15 AM
by pappy19
xx
Can't Sleep