The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Is this a good used 12" Jointer?  (Read 4980 times)

Offline zimraphail

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Is this a good used 12" Jointer?
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2019, 01:13:46 PM »
I have my grandfaters 12.5 inch belsaw thickness planer!  This machine has a 5 hp single phase motor on it and in my opinion plenty of power!

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2019, 07:37:39 PM »
I've always wondered  if you could use a separate generator  to add a third phase if   one only needed it on an intermittent basis. Probably not practical just crossed my mind.
Not really if I'm understanding you right. There are 3ph generators but it would be more expensive to set up and to run than a converter.
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline Jemclimber

• Share Post
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2019, 11:39:34 AM »
I think Nebraska is asking if a generator could be used to generate the third leg in a 3 phase environment. The answer I believe is no, not without some other electronics.  Single phase (which is single pole and 2 pole if using 240v, but still called single phase) has the 2 poles exactly opposite each during their on/off pulses 60 times a second (60Hz). Three phase power has these on/off pulses arranged in 120 degree offset vs. 180 degree offset. I think you'd need a way to synchronize the 3 legs to make it work, and I'm not an electrical engineer that can explain it better or figure out how to make it work.
lt15

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2019, 01:40:53 PM »
Usually on 240 volts the run caps can be 7.5-9 MF /HP depending on the line voltage which could vary from 215 to as high as 250 volts .If the manufactured voltage  is low,add more capacitance .higher remove some .What you are doing is  balancing the inductive  lag on the dummy winding .
The voltages don't have to perfect .Maybe 210 - 215  on 240 volt line .
My converter in my shop is 496  line and 490 dummy but that's  going through two single phase transformers hooked up boost  before it gets to the converter  ,pretty darn close if I do say so .
Besides being able to not change to a single phase motor you keep the three phase which operates cheaper plus has more starting torque and as a bonus you now  have the ability to operate other three phase machinery .
Another thing .A three phase motor can almost instantly be reversed .A single phase needs to stop completely to be reversed .

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2019, 03:47:31 PM »
A three phase motor is less expensive if you already have three phase power.  If not and you need to set up a phase converter, itís less expensive to go with single phase for a one time application. 

A single phase motor is more expensive than a three phase motor, but in smaller hp ratings, unless you already have three phase, I would stick with the single phase.  

I ran a 12Ē jointer with a 3hp single phase motor and it was underpowered when facing wide stock.  
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2019, 05:21:57 AM »
The good ole boy who  showed me the "voodoo " of converters decades ago at one time made a living electrifying oil wells .North west Ohio had the hottest oil  fields in north America until the Oklahoma field came in  but it was high sulfur oil .By the late 40's they had got down to "strippers " low production wells .Problems arouse with the old stationary  gasoline engines made in the 1890's and it was more economical to use electric motors.
He bought the three phase motors for a dollar a HP and the various capacitors from military surplus for next to nothing .WW2 was over and there was tonnage of components available ,cheap .
Rather than use rotaries he built static starters where you get about 60 percent of the HP from a 3 phase motors .No big deal because you're only paying for 6 HP . 
He did alright at that but he's gone now and very few of those wells are producing .The oil is still down there just like money in the bank if they ever need it .

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Grizzly z series 24" planer, 14" table saw, 12" jointer, 37" sander

Started by Piston on General Woodworking

7 Replies
Last post August 28, 2013, 02:29:44 PM
by Piston
xx
84"x 12" Crescent Machine Company Jointer

Started by submarinesailor on For Sale

13 Replies
Last post January 29, 2012, 07:14:34 PM
by submarinesailor