The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Sweet Gum  (Read 6421 times)

Offline Avalancher

• We create what we fear!
    • Share Post
    • AffordableCrafts
Re: Sweet Gum
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2005, 05:12:58 AM »
Im glad you all metioned this fact about gum trees, I had a call last week from some neighbors wanting to know if I wanted to remove some storm damaged trees from their yard.They said it was gum, and I was wondering what I would do with it. I told em that I would swing by later this week to take a look.
The only problem is two of the trees are leaning over the house and everyone else they called wouldnt touch the job. One company would who had a large enough crane to just pick the whole tree up after it was cut at the base, but they wanted $8000 a tree to remove.
Can you believe that? $8000 a tree!

Offline Buzz-sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • To see it is to saw it....
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2005, 07:45:41 AM »
I have cut some trees hanging over houses in my arborist days....(2 foot sections ropped at a time)
Personally on a hanger...........or almost ANY yard tree near houses, I would not consider cutting it for lumber logs.......

now AFTER the guy they PAY to do it puts it on the ground I might give it a wizz, still you are doing them a favor, as you probably know, as a good neighbor :)
My point is, that, is a LOT of liability and trmendous hard work for a saw log .....especially gum....good luck ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Offline TomFromStLouis

• urban logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2005, 01:22:21 PM »
I may have missed it, but the obvious answer to the twisty warp issue on drying is to quartersaw. I understand sweetgum has similar drying statistics to sycamore, so whenever I decide to cut either up, I quartersaw.

Arky, since you are cutting 2 and 3 times thickness, wouldn't your yield be better quartering? Or are they not big enough to cut that way?

Offline DanG

• Senior Member x2
  • DanG, The Official ForestryForum Cussword
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2005, 04:49:31 PM »
My answer to the twist/warp problem is weight. Sweet gum will twist if left on it's own, but if ya clamp it down good, it will behave itself.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Offline Avalancher

• We create what we fear!
    • Share Post
    • AffordableCrafts
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2005, 04:55:14 PM »
I was hoping that my winch will pull that tree right on over to the other side, maybe even right to the ground. The ground is soft, and I have an excellent oak to use as a tackle block mounter.
I will run steel wires to the tree as well as back up in case something snaps and lets the tree swing back towards the house :o

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2005, 05:32:03 PM »
I sure hope everything goes right and you get the tree down without harm to you or the buildings.

If it all goes well, you are going to like the lumber. :)
extinct

Offline rebocardo

• Senior Member x2
  • Atlanta GA
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2005, 06:00:40 PM »
> The only problem is two of the trees are leaning over the
>  house and everyone else they called wouldnt touch the job.

Sounds like a job I would skip or skip until the leaning trees were removed. Sometimes dropping a tree near a leaner will send the leaner right over.

Sounds like a job for an arborist taking it down a foot at a time from a bucket truck. Sounds like a $3000+ job to me either way.

Make sure to anchor the base of the trunk so if the tree snaps in half while you are winching, the butt does not slam into the house when it comes off the stump/ball.

If it has rained since that tree tore out of the ground, forget ever getting it back into the ground. Been there, done that. The rootball will weigh at least as much as the tree.

FWIW: I have taken down a lot of sweetgum, when it gets stressed, it splits three ways into a peace sign like shape destroying the wood for board making. Still, I sell it as firewood, all I have left now is about a 1/4 of a cord. People seem to like it okay.

Winching it over, I would probably put my deadman lines higher then the winch so if it snaps in 1/2, the top will not fall that much into the house. If you use tow straps and a come-along to tension the deadman lines while pulling, it would stand a good chance of pulling the top away from the house if the tree snaps. Another reason for using the straps is they will not slice through the top of the tree.

I was cutting a neighbor's tree Friday, it was the first tree I ever hung. Many equipment fatalities making sure it did no property damage since it was 12 feet from the house, 2 feet from the car port, and red oak 20 dbh.

Here are a couple:

That was a 8k strap ...

Offline ARKANSAWYER

• Senior Member x2
  • Poor white Southern trash
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2005, 07:32:21 PM »
St.Lou Tom,
 I do not have any waste by sawing 2 or 3 times thick.  When dry I put back on mill and split into 4/4.  Qsawn gum bows to much and when you straight line it you will lose alot of lumber.  If I want any qsawn lumber I take it by sawing through & through and the middle boards will stay straighter because it is connected.  The problem is when guys come by and see the thick boards they like them and use them for table tops as is.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Offline doublecutusa

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • www.doublecut.com
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2005, 09:28:07 PM »
Sorry for the late entry here.  However, I sawed a LARGE amount in E. Texas once upon a time.  It has great uses.  The sapwood is definitely appropriately named.  It is what one forester called a "closed cell" wood.  It does tend to warp up and has a hard time drying.  However, once it does, it is REALLY hard.  Believe it or not, we sold an enormous amount for pallet stock.  So long as the pallet being made does not negate molding, (such as food grade pallets), the pallet would not even have to be treated and my gosh it made a strong pallet.  Even if it did have to be treated, simple steps could be taken to avoid the molding. 
     Speaking of moUlding, that is another of the applications.  Since the wood is closed cell, it takes paint very well after the moisture content is down. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Sweet Gum??

Started by flip on Sawmills and Milling

44 Replies
Last post March 12, 2007, 12:34:02 PM
by Daren
xx
sweet gum ???

Started by Po-Jo on Sawmills and Milling

35 Replies
Last post March 14, 2014, 10:27:22 AM
by MattJ