Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Hottest peppers in the world  (Read 2605 times)

Offline LaneC

• Traveling Man
    • Share Post
Hottest peppers in the world
« on: April 08, 2018, 12:36:45 PM »
   I have recently planted the 11 hottest peppers in the world. If anyone knows what I should do with them when they mature, please let me know :D :D. If anyone has any advice on growing them, feel free to share, I can take criticism no problem, especially if I learn something. I figure I will make a sauce with them and go from there. They can actually be dangerous from my research. You need to wear gloves when cutting them and be super careful about hand placement after handling. Anywho,, just an endeavor hopefully worth pursuing. Any advice/coaching, greatly appreciated.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Offline DelawhereJoe

• Trapped in Delawhere
    • Share Post
Re: Hottest peppers in the world
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 12:47:21 PM »
A buddy of mine likes to grow the Carolina reapers peppers, a few winters ago a mouse got to his seeds in a box in his shed and the seeds killed the mouse. He never said how many seeds he had to start or ended up with so I don't know how many the mouse ate before it burned from the inside out.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 04:10:29 PM »
I've been growing Ghost Peppers and Trinidad Scorpions this summer, and they are ripening now. They seem easy to grow, but they need a warm sheltered spot, lots of sun, then just make sure they have water and fertiliser. 

I have been growing mine in large plastic pots sitting against the sunny side of the house. Means if we get a storm over summer I can pick them up and move them to the shed for the day, rather than have them beaten up by the wind. 

The Carolina Reaper is a cross between those 2 varieties, and is slightly hotter. How the heck you could tell the difference is beyond me. They are all crazy hot. 

I found I could cut them bare handed, but I went and got in the shower straight afterwards. They did make my eyes water and nose run a bit too. DO NOT touch your face, or go to the toilet, before you wash up.  :o :D :D Other people are more sensitive and it will sting their hands. I only rinsed my knife too, and got chilli flavoured avocado on my toast the next day!!!

Just remember you are playing with something stronger than police pepper spray

I've made a variety of strength sauces. From merely hot, which was only 3 chillies in a pot of tomatoes, up to crazy hot, which was about a 1/4 pound of them in a smaller pot.  That one makes Tabasco seem mild  ;D

Also, when you taste them, there is about a 5 second delay before you feel the heat. 

There is a "lethal dose" of the active ingredient, but it's physically impossible to eat enough at once to kill yourself. The convulsions and vomiting will save your life before you get 1/4 way there. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 08:44:40 PM »
 :D :D
I will take your word for it, I am NOT the one to try it. I like spice but once it overpowers the food I lose interest.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline JohnW

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 12:47:05 AM »
Right.  Tabasco doesn't even register on the scale with those other peppers.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 03:55:46 AM »
Right.  Tabasco doesn't even register on the scale with those other peppers.
Well it does, but WAY down the scale. 
Tabasco rates ~2,000 Scoville
These chillies are 1,000,000+  :D
Police "pepper spray" comes in at about 700,000.    Amateurs.  ;D
Indian Army use these for their tear gas grenades (non lethal apparently) ... And the locals make Elephant repellent from them. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 05:01:08 AM »
This innocent looking little fruit is what you end up with...

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 05:04:48 AM »
DO NOT just eat one...

OR, if you do, video yourself so we can all laugh at your reaction.  :D

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-10 and still feelin pretty darned good!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 07:52:36 AM »
Cant wait to see said video
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo
241 acres of woodland

Offline Onthesauk

• Senior Member x2
  • Still learning!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 10:39:50 AM »
Someone told me years ago, "Food shouldn't hurt!"
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Donít attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Offline LaneC

• Traveling Man
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 05:25:15 PM »
  From what I have read, the Capsacin is what produces the heat, and it supposedly tricks your mouth saying it is burning. I have eaten very mild peppers that had a small burn and I don't think it was a trick :) :). I have seen some on you tube eat them and about have to go to the hospital. Those are pretty peppers. Thanks for the replies.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 06:59:29 PM »
Pizza Roulette  :D

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 08:13:08 PM »
  I have recently planted the 11 hottest peppers in the world. If anyone knows what I should do with them when they mature, please let me know :D :D. If anyone has any advice on growing them, feel free to share, I can take criticism no problem, especially if I learn something. I figure I will make a sauce with them and go from there. They can actually be dangerous from my research. You need to wear gloves when cutting them and be super careful about hand placement after handling. Anywho,, just an endeavor hopefully worth pursuing. Any advice/coaching, greatly appreciated.
My suggestion would be to fence them in so the kids can't get to them! 
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 09:57:14 PM »
A man went to hospital with severe headaches after eating a whole Carolina Reaper the other day. :D I'm not  that desperate for bragging rights. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline LaneC

• Traveling Man
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 11:14:16 PM »
  I read about the guy that went to the hospital. From what I read, he had a condition, and the pepper enhanced it exponentially. I would never try eating one whole like that. Ianb, this may sound dumb, but do you drink that vodka with the peppers in it or use it as a seasoning? It seems like it would bite you twice if you drink it :)

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 02:02:29 AM »
A man went to hospital with severe headaches after eating a whole Carolina Reaper the other day. :D I'm not  that desperate for bragging rights. ::)
Yeah, I read that too. Apparently one side effect of eating a LOT of chilli is it can cause blood vessels to contract. This is also what cause "Ice Cream" headaches. Ironic he got an "Ice Cream" headache from eating hot chilli  :D  But a CT scan showed restricted arteries going to his brain, which will cause headaches. So the assumption is that chillies caused it. 
Like I said earlier, I'm not the crazy. 
do you drink that vodka with the peppers in it or use it as a seasoning? It seems like it would bite you twice if you drink it 
We usually have shots around the table or fire pit. It's a good way to encourage "moderate" drinking  :D No one has yet come back and ask for a Double....  We haven't tested this brew yet, but I suspect it will have some "bite".

Also fun to put the smart youngsters in their place. Toss back a shot, wipe your brow, then watch them run around looking for milk  smiley_devil

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2018, 08:30:44 AM »
I grew scorpions and ghost peppers a few years ago. I don't eat hot but a friend had some extra seeds so I figured what the heck. Novelty.
One of the HMWHC regulars took some home and cut them up for a dish he was making. After cutting them and having a couple beers he had to pee. Apparently the was fire down below. His wife said he was in the shower a longtime.

Another guy was over for our Friday meeting and cut a dime sized piece off them popped it in his mouth. He got a bit red, eyes teared up then announced "not bad" and can he have some to take home. It wasn't his first rodeo.

I wore rubber gloves anytime I touched them.
The First 60 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline LaneC

• Traveling Man
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 12:18:36 PM »
 I will wear gloves when I cut them or handle them. Yep, that other about down below is very easy to do. Even with jalapenos, and you figure out why real quick. I am starting (eating) on jalapenos and working my way up. They say the peppers are very high in nutrition, and help with pain. I am planting some cayenne peppers also. I watered them yesterday with a little dissolved Epsom salt in the water. Do you use or recommend doing that? It is basically the magnesium the plant needs from what I have read. Also, I am fertilizing with fish emulsion. The stuff stinks bad, but they say it works real good.

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 12:29:47 PM »
I just put them in pots, watered them every so often and they grew.

The First 60 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2018, 04:56:14 PM »
I find a bit of generic vegetable fertiliser helps to keep them growing, flowering and fruiting. If things are a bit tough they set a crop, and basically call it quits, but with some encouragement you can have them still flowering when you are picking the first crop. Also depends how long your growing season is.  I get better results with seedlings started early inside, and moved out as soon as the weather is warm enough. That way you have 6" plants at the very beginning of the growing season, and they are a month ahead of anything you plant at that point. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Where I live, "YORK COUNTY" S.C. is home of the "WORLD'S HOTTEST" CHILI PEPPER.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

17 Replies
Last post January 24, 2014, 01:26:38 AM
by LeeB
xx
104 Degrees, Hottest Day of the Year, and............

Started by WDH on General Board

58 Replies
Last post August 14, 2007, 06:44:11 AM
by Larry
xx
Peppers from somewhere else. How do they do it?

Started by Tom on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

16 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 01:47:40 AM
by CHARLIE
xx
Roasting Red Peppers

Started by 21incher on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

20 Replies
Last post September 10, 2015, 07:09:15 PM
by 21incher