Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Hottest peppers in the world  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
Re: Hottest peppers in the world
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2018, 09:47:07 PM »
 I've grown a few Carolina Reapers and ghost peppers. If starting them from seeds, start them indoors as early as possible, like now might even be too late already depending on your zone. Here I planted them in January in the house and that worked good. I don't know if it was just the batch of seeds but they took a very long time to germinate, however they almost all came up. I've kept a few of the plants for several years. I just kept them in good potting soil with the time release fertilizers and they did well. Water them regularly but don't over water and make sure they are well drained so the roots don't rot. And make sure if there's any chance of frost, cover them up or bring them indoors as they don't hold up to cold at all.

I'm don't have too much of a green thumb, but I honestly didn't get very many peppers from my plants until the second year, the plants were alot more mature and made alot more peppers the second and third years after planting them.

The ghost peppers I grew were chocolate ghost peppers, they had distinct but good flavor. Tasted great for about 1 second until the heat kicked in lol.
 I'm not sure why, but there were a few peppers that didn't have much heat to them, and we're actually pretty safe to eat by them selves (about like a jalapeno). The hot ones I dried out and made into flakes and would sprinkle a small amount on various foods. I like the flavor of them, but they are about too hot for me.
- WoodMizer LT25, Kohler, all manual, old "drag" style WoodMizer sharpener, cat claw single  setter
- Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque/24" bar, 455 Rancher X-Torque/20" bar, 550XP/20" bar, Stihl 024AV/18" Oregon speedcut
- Kioti DK45, '92 Dodge Cummins with Cannonball  bed, '07 Honda Rancher

Offline LaneC

• Traveling Man
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 08:03:26 AM »
   I germinated them back last month and some are 1" tall. The jalapenos I did at the same time. They say the hotter the pepper, the longer it takes to germinate. I noticed that it is very true. The jalapenos are 2-1/2 times as big as the super hots, and germinated at least a week earlier. Luckily I started just in time. Hopefully not too late anyway, but I will know next year to start at least a month earlier.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 12:23:02 PM »
Here are mine.

The First 60 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline LaneC

• Traveling Man
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2018, 07:50:12 PM »
  Those sure look nice. My eyes are watering now :). I hope I can make some this year. At least I will have seeds from now on, even if see that they are too hot.

Online Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2018, 08:44:28 PM »
Even if you find they are hotter than you like, just use them sparingly and they are OK.  Make a sauce or relish with a heap of tomatoes, some onion and capsicum etc, and just add a couple of chillies to spice it up. You can make a LOT of "warm" sauce from a couple of plants if you only use 2 or 3 chillies in pot of sauce. 

I've experimented with other fruit and veges too. Kiwifruit and Feijoa sauces worked well with a dash of chilli in the mix. Those get really cheap (or free) here when they are in season. So it's more a matter of adapting to what you have. If you can make chutney from it, you can make chilli chutney.  ;D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline LaneC

• Traveling Man
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2018, 12:59:22 AM »
  Ohhh man, I love kiwi. I am babying these things. the hottest ones are very slow to grow. They are about an inch tall, and I wheel them into the sun for 15-30 minites at a whack. I don't want to oversun them. There is severe weather predicted for tonight so I am glad I can get them in out of the bad weather. I like your idea of the hot shots :D I bet they put the young ones in their place. I am really liking the spicy food. I am working my way up. I really appreciate the replies. Thanks a bunch.

Online Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2018, 03:02:19 AM »

How the plants look today. 

Might do a harvest, and throw them in the freezer until the kiwifruit are in season 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline LaneC

• Traveling Man
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2018, 05:15:45 PM »
Those look nice. I am waiting on mine to start taking off pretty quick. They seem to be doing ok, I guess I am trying to rush them. I figure, out of all the seeds I planted, I should have a couple of each type that will make it to maturity.

Offline LaneC

• Traveling Man
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2018, 12:00:38 AM »
  Peppers are finally coming in. I have some beautiful Carolina Reapers, Ghost peppers, Apocalypse Scorpion, Butch T Scorpion, Cayenne and jalapeno. I am glad I planted as many as I did, as this was a learning curve, and I started out with probably 25 plants (started from seed ) and ended up with 10 fine specimens. They are doing great. Thanks Ian for the tips.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Where I live, "YORK COUNTY" S.C. is home of the "WORLD'S HOTTEST" CHILI PEPPER.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

17 Replies
Last post January 24, 2014, 01:26:38 AM
by LeeB
xx
104 Degrees, Hottest Day of the Year, and............

Started by WDH on General Board

58 Replies
Last post August 14, 2007, 06:44:11 AM
by Larry
xx
Peppers from somewhere else. How do they do it?

Started by Tom on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

16 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 01:47:40 AM
by CHARLIE
xx
Tam Jalapeno Peppers

Started by 21incher on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

4 Replies
Last post August 12, 2015, 07:33:50 AM
by 21incher