iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hottest peppers in the world

Started by LaneC, April 08, 2018, 12:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaneC

Ohhh man, I love kiwi. I am babying these things. the hottest ones are very slow to grow. They are about an inch tall, and I wheel them into the sun for 15-30 minites at a whack. I don't want to oversun them. There is severe weather predicted for tonight so I am glad I can get them in out of the bad weather. I like your idea of the hot shots :D I bet they put the young ones in their place. I am really liking the spicy food. I am working my way up. I really appreciate the replies. Thanks a bunch.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Ianab

How the plants look today. 

Might do a harvest, and throw them in the freezer until the kiwifruit are in season 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LaneC

Those look nice. I am waiting on mine to start taking off pretty quick. They seem to be doing ok, I guess I am trying to rush them. I figure, out of all the seeds I planted, I should have a couple of each type that will make it to maturity.

LaneC

Peppers are finally coming in. I have some beautiful Carolina Reapers, Ghost peppers, Apocalypse Scorpion, Butch T Scorpion, Cayenne and jalapeno. I am glad I planted as many as I did, as this was a learning curve, and I started out with probably 25 plants (started from seed ) and ended up with 10 fine specimens. They are doing great. Thanks Ian for the tips.

LaneC

Thanks again Ian for the tips. I have a bunch of peppers coming in. I actually have to keep them out of the sun. It sounds weird, but the sun is killing them.  Almost all of them cannot stand full sun. All opinions are ok, but I can tell you, I have moved them into the shade and I have a bunch of the hottest peppers in the world. I am going to use them to help a bunch of folks I know, by making a spray to keep the deer, coons and hopefully hogs away from their gardens. These are some seriously hot peppers, but hopefully the deer and all will stay away from the strong smell. I will keep yall updated.

Ianab

Yeah, if the plants are growing in a shelter like a shade house they tend to burn off a  bit if suddenly taken out into full sun. I like to get mine planted out into full sun as soon as I can, before they thing about flowering. Even though they take a bit of a hit, the new hardier growth soon comes away. They should still grow and fruit in a more sheltered location, but the fruit may not be as hot. 

Chances are this isn't actually a problem  smiley_devil  :D  The difference between 1,000,000 scu and 1,200,000 is academic.  whiteflag_smiley
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Texas Ranger

Jees, you'll play with snakes and wild dogs as well?  Much past a jalapeno and I back away.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

LaneC

Runningalucas

My wife with the 'green thumb' ::) plants the serrano, jalepeno, bell peppers, and others all right next to each other;  I thought it was a fluke the first year, but every year since then, it's proven true that a lot of them cross pollinate.  It's like the proverbial box of chocolate; you never know what a lot of them will taste like...lol

I sometimes wish they were separated. lol

Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

LaneC

I have heard that they do cross pollinate also. I researched it a bit, and one article was saying that it only effects the seeds. I can say, the jalapenos that I have planted, which are right by my superhot peppers, are very very hot. I have not even attempted to eat a superhot raw, but I like jalapenos with a meal, and my nose and eyes runs big time while eating these jalapenos. 

Ianab

A lot of the varieties are Capsicum annuum, and hence are considered the same species, and will cross pollinate easily. The fruit will grow true as that's not affected by the DNA in the seeds. It's what the seeds will grow into that become a bit of a lucky dip. They will be chillies, that's about all you can be sure of. But this is basically how new varieties are created. 

So if you want seeds that grow consistent, keep the plants separated. If you are happy to buy new seeds each year, it doesn't matter. 

Other type is chilli are different species. Not sure if they hybridize easily or not. Habanero is Capsicum chinense and Tobasco is Capsicum frutescens for example.

LaneC

I was wondering about the difference in drying these superhot peppers, or using a blender to grind them up into a paste for making a pepper spray to keep the deer out of peas. Would you lose much potency if you dehydrated them? That way I could store a lot more in a small jar than blending them. Then when the time comes, I am thinking of rehydrating them by letting the powder steep in the water of a hand sprayer while it is in cheesecloth (a fine filtering screen), then using the spray to deter the critters and deer.

LaneC

I have close to a gallon of superhots pickled and more are on the way. They are full of peppers. I am going to dry some and see how much space I can save. I am thinking they will retain the oil, Therefore when rehydrated, they will produce the strong smell to keep the critters away. I made some hot sauce with some and it is very very hot, but very good at the same time.

Raider Bill

Quote from: LaneC on September 25, 2018, 03:29:40 PM
  I have close to a gallon of superhots pickled and more are on the way. They are full of peppers. I am going to dry some and see how much space I can save. I am thinking they will retain the oil, Therefore when rehydrated, they will produce the strong smell to keep the critters away. I made some hot sauce with some and it is very very hot, but very good at the same time.
Do not dehydrate them in your house! 2 people I know did it and they cried for weeks.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

LaneC

Ianab

Quote from: Raider Bill on September 25, 2018, 04:41:58 PMDo not dehydrate them in your house! 2 people I know did it and they cried for weeks.

I can believe that :D
Just chopping them up makes my nose run, and I usually go and have a shower after to make SURE it's all washed off.

Got a makeshift greenhouse set up in an old pig pen at a friends place, and am getting an assortment of chilli plants established. Should extend our growing season a lot, at both ends. It's technically spring here, but it's been snowing today a bit further up the Mt, so not exactly sub tropical chilli growing weather. Some seasons I've had them not really grow until end of December. Hopefully this way the hardier ones will be almost fruiting by then. 

LaneC

That looks like a lot of thought went into that garden.

Thank You Sponsors!