TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Smoked my Skid Steer  (Read 2862 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: Smoked my Skid Steer
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 11:17:15 AM »
Bellypans are no joke.  Anyone with equipment needs a pressure washer and long reach blow gun. 
Revelation 3:20

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 11:19:47 AM »
Btw, kids shovels are handy to wiretie inside the cab next to your extinguisher You dont always have water but you will always be near dirt. 

Wuen your starter takes a few "hits" to engage, its because the copper washer inside the solenoid plunger is corroded and arcing.  Soon itll weld and the only way to stop the starter is to cut power before the cable insulation or rear bushing ignites.

Leave your ground cable loose enough to rip off if you dont have a master switch.

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 01:32:40 PM »
jeff   reminds me of a time with my dad walking a log job i always had and still have the need to drink water out of a running spring he always told me walk up to where its coming out of the ground and drink from there i never listened to him one day i made a little dam waited for it to clear up and drank it after i was done we walked up the spring run and sure enough there was a dead porcupine about half rotted with maggots on it he started laughing and i started puking  every once in a while ill think of that when i need a drink and will walk to the top of the spring run then drink out of it      

Offline Weekend_Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Jack of all trades, master of fun
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 01:51:46 PM »

I dropped the belly pan on my skid steer last year and unloaded almost 5 gallons of oil soaked dirt, leaves and twigs. That was a fire just waiting to happen.

Interesting enough mine had a hard time engaging the starter. I replaced the starter and found out it was a solenoid that had went bad. Ah well, I have a spare starter now.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe. ... and it looks like my dream will come true!

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2018, 07:00:35 PM »
Jeff, that's a great story! Nothing quite wears a body out like a fire emergency😳😳😳 You painted quite a picture, with that pristine, cool running trout stream, it seemed such a perfect answer for the physical and emotional stress of the ordeal you had just been through. And then, the dead sheep!😂😂🤢🤢🤮🤮
Too many irons in the fire

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2018, 10:44:58 PM »
Most slow starters just need the commutator sanded up and the carbon dust scraped out from between the slots.  The commutator is that copper keyboard that the brushes ride on.  If they load up with brush dust, the donkey will stop chasing the carrot on a stick tied to its back.  And light itself on fire sometimes.

My dozer bellypan filled a wheelbarrow.  Taking that down was scary.  

Offline DR_Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Nuff said.....
    • Share Post
    • Got Logs?
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2018, 01:51:43 PM »
Finally took the time to tear into the skid steer to do a full damage assessment.   :(    As already mentioned, the solenoid is melted and the starter has had some serious heat damage.  I also found 3 seriously burned hydraulic hoses, and the battery cable to starter had most insulation melted off.    I am lucky that it didn't short out and start another fire or toast the battery.

I had to remove the radiator to get the burned hydraulic hoses disconnected and found the cooling fan was missing a blade, so that has to be replaced also.   And, while in there I will replace the alternator belt.   I also dropped both belly pans and removed 4 inches of greasy muck from under the engine and hydraulic components.

Total repair costs: 
      Starter/Solenoid       $142
      3 Hydraulic hoses     $275      
      5 ft Battery Cable      $27
      New hydraulic fluid    $80
      Radiator Fan            $127
      Alternator Belt          $16  
                                   ----------
                                    $667     smiley_cry

Considering that things could have been much worse I'm lucky that it didn't end up costing more or become a total loss.

Hidden Acres Farm
Been there, done that.   Never got caught

Wood-Mizer LT40HDG38
Lucas Dedicated 60" Slabber

Offline DR_Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Nuff said.....
    • Share Post
    • Got Logs?
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2018, 07:35:28 AM »
and the saga continues.

I thought I had everything fixed.   Not so.  :(    Everything appears to work and the machine runs fine.  However, the battery does not charge.   Apparently the heat from the fire also toasted the alternator.    New one is on order.

On a side note, while troubleshooting the alternator problem I was hanging halfway upside down into the back of the skid steer and I heard a VERY LOUD pop  :o followed by a loud and long hissing sound.   Almost had to go change my shorts.  ::)        Several months ago I put a plug into one of the tires where a small tree stem poked through the tread.   I don't know how it got through but it did.     Anyway, for whatever reason that plug decided to let loose and blow out.  :o       This time I removed the tire from the rim and repaired it with an internal plug.    I've had real good luck with these in the past.   No way they can come out once installed.   

Hidden Acres Farm

Wood-Mizer LT40HDG38

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2018, 09:36:27 AM »
Nice, whered you find those piloted patch plug jobbies?  

Theres a good chance your alternator is okay and the wires arent.  You need voltage going to the field terminal in order to energize the field and kick it on.  Do you have a charge indicator dummy light?  Does it illuminate when you turn the key on engine off?  That bulb is part of the circuit, if its dead, no field voltage, no charge.  

If you run a jumper from the battery to the field terminal you should get magnetism on the back of the case around the center.  Just feel around with a wrench or whatever for a pull.  If magnetism, it works

Offline DR_Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Nuff said.....
    • Share Post
    • Got Logs?
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2018, 03:36:27 PM »
Nice, whered you find those piloted patch plug jobbies?  

Found them online.    The stems come in different diameters for different hole sizes.  These things work really great.  I've used them on other repairs and never had one fail to seal the leak permanently. You can find the company that makes them here ---  https://blackjacktirerepair.com/patch-plug-combi-units

Theres a good chance your alternator is okay and the wires arent.  You need voltage going to the field terminal in order to energize the field and kick it on.  Do you have a charge indicator dummy light?  Does it illuminate when you turn the key on engine off?  That bulb is part of the circuit, if its dead, no field voltage, no charge.

Wires are all OK.  Bulb does not come on at all but is good.   I have a "no load" battery voltage at the alternator on the field voltage wire.   If I ground it, the battery light comes on.   Therefor, the alternator has an electrical open internal to the field wire connection.    

If you run a jumper from the battery to the field terminal you should get magnetism on the back of the case around the center.  Just feel around with a wrench or whatever for a pull.  If magnetism, it works

No need to do this as other tests confirmed alternator is open.
#mike_belben  

Thanks for the recommendations.  However, as I detailed above the alternator is most likely no good.   Still waiting on the replacement.  It should be here by Wednesday this week.
Hidden Acres Farm

Wood-Mizer LT40HDG38

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Skid Steer

Started by Magicman on General Board

67 Replies
Last post December 13, 2015, 08:37:33 AM
by jdonovan
xx
skid steer

Started by gtr on Forestry and Logging

5 Replies
Last post April 14, 2006, 08:25:57 AM
by woodsteach