TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Ticks natural remedy  (Read 2921 times)

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
    • Share Post
Re: Ticks natural remedy
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2018, 08:30:49 AM »
Gary C-

Your post is correct.  Lyme disease is as you state and not an autoimmune disease by itself.  It's a bacterial infection.  But what is still very poorly understood is the body's reaction to Lyme disease, which does mean that the immune system can be involved.  In some patients, symptoms persist which appear to be of an autoimmune nature.  Whether this is a chronic infection (possibly inadequately treated), a recurrent latent re-infection, or the body's response (immune system) to the original infection is not clear.  But rest assured, some patients have very strange and confusing presentations following Lyme Disease, usually involving joint pain or nerve dysfunction.  Long term antibiotics seem to help some of these patients, but not all.

I do not know this to be a medical fact, but I have been told that the actual bite of the tick usually does not occur for a minimum of 24 hours after the little bugger gets to you.  A habit of showering immediately after outside exposure to tick world with a conscious effort to really scrub those areas they seek out...belt line, hair line, back, behind the ears....is all part of wise prevention.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline Gary_C

• Senior Member x2
  • Sunrise on the Prairie
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2018, 10:48:20 AM »
Yes doctorb, my brother in law had all the symptoms of Lyme some 10+ years ago and his HMO refused to allow the tests because Lyme was not prevalent in the area he lived. However he had acquired the unseen tick bite while spending two weeks at his cabin in NW WI. He was left undiagnosed for months and suffered fevers and joint pain until he found a different doctor who sent special blood samples to the Mayo Clinic where they said his infection levels were off their scales. After that test, he was treated twice with different antibiotics before he was supposedly cured of the disease but symptoms have lingered to this day.

Some years ago he was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and has suffered ongoing pain all over, plus both knees replaced, a back surgery, a heart surgery and another pending. He survives on an astonishing mix of pain pills and other medications. The problem is that Fibromyalgia is not a disease, it is just a collection of symptoms that probably are the lingering effects of a long untreated Lyme infection. Both he and I have taken the Lyme prevention shots when they were available and we both have been tested for lingering infections with negative results. I suspect that after one has had the disease and/or the shots that the tests are unreliable.

My defense for ticks when in season and I am working in tick country is to wear the light weight versions of Under Armor securely tucked into my socks which creates an unbroken path of resistance all the way to my neck. I can usually feel the dirty buggers crawling on my neck and head and pick them of and give them the pliers treatment. Then I check the insides of my pants and shirt plus send both to the wash at night. It's not a foolproof plan but it works for me.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2018, 10:00:59 PM »
My wife had a routine doctor appointment this past week, I asked her to ask the doc for a prescription of doxycycline for medicine cabinet stock, we've both had run ins with lyme, her severely. The doc agreed saying she had seen more lyme last year than all previous years. She also said the latest CDC recommendation is to take 2 immediately if bitten and then self monitor. I had heard the same advice repeated by my employer from a conversation he had with a doctor last summer.

Online Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2018, 11:35:32 PM »
Don - 

You can get doxy without a script, it's sold as "Bird Biotic", exact same thing, same color, shape, and numerical markings as the stuff the pharmacy fills, it has to be made in the same facility, just put into a cheaper bottle.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2018, 11:28:01 AM »
Tick bites too numerous for me to count. I have a large yard to mow surrounded by trees. Pasture to mow and I enjoy my morning walks through the cool forest.

Loggers sometimes splash diesel on their shoes and pant legs to repel them. I might like getting bite better than the diesel. The hippies that used to live in the woods wore dog flea and tick collars. Haven't seen many of them for a long long time.

Last month the news has stated we have been honored by the presence of a new immigrant from east Asia. It's called the longhorn tick. Only three other states besides us have it. ???
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2018, 08:34:48 AM »
Larry,

Back in my active USMC days we had troops who tried the dog collar trick and our medical team advised us to stop it if we saw them in use. The chemicals in the collars have to get into the skin and they are dangerous to people so it was a case of the cure being deemed worse than the disease. DEET still seems to be the number one recommendation from my medical counterparts to repel ticks and mosquitoes and I worked in a lot of malarial areas.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline hturner12

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2018, 10:19:41 AM »
Im on my 3rd day of vomit/diarrhea/achy all over.  It came on one day after a lonestar bite but my 1st grade daughter also had some kinda lesser tummy bug days prior.  I have seemed to have the occasional tick bite wipe me out in the past but never like this.  

Any thoughts if theyre related?

Mike if it was a Lone Star, you may be allergic  to red meat
Hugh
Ezbordwalk Jr

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: Ticks natural remedy

Started by Roxie on Forest Education

0 Replies
Last post June 10, 2018, 04:47:51 AM
by Roxie
xx
home remedy

Started by sd locke on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

27 Replies
Last post March 01, 2010, 12:55:36 PM
by Trax
xx
Rash remedy

Started by luvmexfood on Health and Safety

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2014, 10:46:06 AM
by LeeB
xx
Home Remedy

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD on Health and Safety