The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Oranges  (Read 1105 times)

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Oranges
« on: April 21, 2018, 10:48:26 PM »
I just had a California navel orange, it was so sweet and juicy I'm craving another one. 8) Oranges and other citrus fruits are hit or miss here, the last ones were dry and tasteless. I assume they were picked too soon, oranges are often a bit green when they hit our stores. The cara cara are my all time favorite but we seldom see them.
In Palm Springs I picked up some apparently ripe fruit that had fallen from the tree. Oh boy, my first really fresh orange I thought!! That orange was so sour it almost sucked up my belly button, I was so disappointed :'( Probably an ornamental.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Oranges
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 07:08:26 AM »
I've been buying the Halos little tangerine oranges this winter. Little pricey but consistently good.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Online caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 11:27:03 AM »
Sawguy, a lot of the rootstocks produce sour fruit as do many citrus trees planted from seed.  In most of the hammock areas of central Florida one can find clusters of citrus trees growing.  Often they will be covered with beautiful fruit but most of the time they will be incredibly sour. The California citrus is typically prettier on the outside due to their dryer climate but Florida's fruit is usually juicier and has a higher Brix.  It costs a lot of money to keep them pretty here.  Most of Florida's citrus gets squeezed and some pests, like rust mites, that make the rind unattractive don't diminish the quality of the juice.  The fruit will dry out if left on the tree too long.  Our grove had some Ambersweets, which were good but they dried out quickly and lost favor with growers.

We used to have a small grove of citrus at my former school before they needed room for a new auditorium, parking lot and eventually portable classrooms.  We had an arboretum with around 25 different citrus varieties but we had over 20 red navel trees (Cara Cara) and early, mid, and late season varieties so we could have fresh fruit nearly year round. We used to sell them to raise money for the FFA.  During the winter, we would put a sign by the highway that ran by the school advertising the fruit.  We would sell a #50 feed sack full for $5.

Valencia oranges are a late season orange and will re-green but they still retain their sweetness and juiciness.  We replanted a new grove in 2005 with over 120 trees but after the hurricanes of 2004 spread the Asian Citrus Psyllid all over the citrus producing region of Florida. Our trees got citrus greening and we pushed them and turned the land back into pasture.  Psyllids vector the greening disease.

Caveman

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 11:44:51 AM »
A house we rented for a few years back in the '80s had a small navel orange tree in the back yard.  Probably 8' dia by 10' tall head.  I would pick 10 to 15 five gallon buckets off of it.  Later (late 90's until I retired in 2013), a co-worker must have had a monster tree.  He would bring in a tub (2x2x3') of oranges twice a week for over a month trying to get rid of his!  They were fantastic.

My daughter picked up some citrus plants from a nursery going out of business.  I have an established Meyer lemon that seems to alternate years between enough and a ton.  I've planted 2 or 3 varieties of Mandarin, and I think two navel oranges (the labels were missing but had some scribble on the pots).
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 12:35:07 PM »
I love good oranges,  and I hate bad ones. It's hit or miss here,  too. I've had the best luck with the cara caras.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 11:47:01 PM »
I've been buying the Halos little tangerine oranges this winter. Little pricey but consistently good.
Those and the clementines are my favorite. There are some really good regular oranges but they are hit and miss. Those little oranges/clementines seem like as long as they're fresh are usually as you said, consistantly good  :)
- WoodMizer LT25, Kohler, all manual, old "drag" style WoodMizer sharpener, cat claw single  setter
- Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque/24" bar, 455 Rancher X-Torque/20" bar, 550XP/20" bar, Stihl 024AV/18" Oregon speedcut
- Kioti DK45, '92 Dodge Cummins with Cannonball  bed, '07 Honda Rancher

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Oranges

Started by dustyhat on General Board

10 Replies
Last post December 18, 2015, 11:21:23 PM
by sawguy21
xx
Oranges and Grapefruit

Started by Vermonter on Wanted

20 Replies
Last post January 29, 2008, 11:24:15 AM
by SPIKER