The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

KNOW WHAT?
Between February 12, 2018 and June 18, 2018, this space displayed 13 Million, 871 Thousand and 87 times.

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Aggravations of a portable sawyer  (Read 3832 times)

Offline nomad

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Bill's Mill Portable Sawmill Service
Aggravations of a portable sawyer
« on: April 23, 2018, 06:41:48 PM »
     Two calls I got today that are all too common and exemplify exactly what I'm talking about.
     First guy called and asked if he and his dad could come watch me work 'cuz they're thinking about getting a hobby mill.  Sure, no problem.  Where are you?  Just outside Dallas. 
     Planning a road trip?  I'm in Jacksonville, Fl.  Huh?  NO!
     First line on my website states I'm in Jacksonville, Fl.  Ya got to get past that to get to my phone number.  I get a couple of calls a week from Texas.
     Next guy calls from a town about 120 miles away.  Says "I'm cutting down 10 pine trees.  How much to get them sawed into lumber?"
     I need a lot more info to even try to give you a W.A.G.
     You won't even give me an estimate?  Nevermind.  And the guy hung up on me like I was an idiot.
     This happens once or twice a week.  I'm gonna start telling them $1,000 per tree, if you want an estimate without more info.  That's after they're cut down and bucked to length.  At least, until I get my crystal ball back up and running.   
     Okay, rant over. ::)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas 1030 w/slabbing attachment

Online terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
Re: Aggravations of a portable sawyer
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 07:45:21 PM »
Something to be said for having a number of repeat business customers.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT   2001 WM LT40SHDD (42HP Kubota, Accuset2, FAO's, Lubemizer, debarker, hydraulics everywhere), Peterson WPF 10-30 with chain slabber. Logrite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.

Offline SawyerTed

• Hi, I have a saw dust addiction and fishing pox.
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 08:07:29 PM »
People don't read....

Most folks think it costs X to saw up a log, any log no matter the size.  They think you should be able to multiply X times the number of logs to give them a price.  Sort of like buying lumber at the big box store.

I usually try to engage in a little conversation about the job, once they talk a little while I usually can get them to text a photo of the logs.  If they are wiling to send a text, they usually are willing to send some measurements.  Then I give them my rate, plus setup and blades.

I get a call or a text every few days similar to "How much to saw a maple log 28" in diameter and 10' long?"  I give them the board foot price, plus travel/setup cost and cost of blades if I hit metal."  If I get a reply it is either "when can you some?" Or "Oh that much?"

I had a job I went to look at, scaled the logs and gave an estimate.  The guy looked at me and did a mental calculation.  He said, " That's over $70 an hour."  I told him to hire anyone else that would do it for less.  He called back when I got home and scheduled me to saw.  They don't "get it" that they are hiring both a skilled operator AND a piece of heavy equipment. 

There's lots of "tire kickers" out there.....
Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 08:08:51 PM »
"Slab Kickers".
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 08:16:09 PM »
I like the calls I get about cutting down 8 or 10 big pine tree's. 
I can have them for free if I cut them out of the power lines and hall or chip the brush away.
Oh Don t forget grind the stumps too.
3 or 4 of them a month. 
Sorry not for me
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Offline SawyerTed

• Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 08:18:08 PM »
Yeah, it's against company policy for me to cut trees down......
Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Offline sealark37

• Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 08:24:44 PM »
Or, the customer who rolls up at dusk on Friday with 6, 18" SYP logs, 9 feet long, on a single axle lawn mower trailer.  He needs 24 pieces of 4"x 4" timbers 12 feet long.  He will pay extra if you can do it now!    Pause, and think before you answer.   Regards, Clark 

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 08:26:36 PM »
Bruno,

You're doing good. They only offer me half the wood but still expect all the other things you listed.

Ted,

I really like that response about company policy on cutting trees. On rates - yeah it is renting/hiring a big piece of equipment with operator. Anybody rented a backhoe with operator lately?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline SawyerTed

• Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 08:32:36 PM »
My insurance agent advised me to set some "company policies" on things like doing tree service work, hauling logs, logging operations etc.  I'm insured as a portable sawmill operation. 

I don't get many questions when I say company policy won't allow me to do something.  

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 08:46:54 PM »
Ted,

Same here. I have good liability sawmill insurance but am not an arborist or insured to cut trees. When the trees are down and cut into logs bring them to me or I will come saw them on site if more economical and justified.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 09:17:45 PM »
nomad:
When you find someone that can recalibrate your crystal ball please send me information as mine has needed recalibration for close to 70 years.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 09:39:23 PM »
That and a lot of other junk is why I got out of it. Don't get me wrong, When I started back in 1987. Customers knew what they wanted. Today it's more difficult. Most customers have zero commences Or want you to work like a fool.

I do wish all of you portable sawyers the best of luck and learn to say no to working like a fool, You'll be happier in the long run. And when a customer tells his friends to call you, They will know what to expect.  ;D
2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 09:44:08 PM »
I give a good deal to nearby neighbors that live in this mostly off grid subdivision, no travel or setup fees.  

And no!  I will not except 420!  It was a 38" butt end tree length Pondarosa pine and all he had to offer me to slice it into 1x12 was 420. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Online Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing so I can afford to farm.
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 11:06:39 PM »
Got a text the other day and the guy asked "How many boards do I need to buy for a 12' x 9' shed?"  Nothing else..... I had to wait to reply or else it may have come across wrong.  
'92 Franklin 170 grapple skidder
'92 Franklin 5000 wheeled buncher
Wicked Awesome Basset Hound * 2
JD 490D with 4 roller FabTek processer / hydraulic hose breaker
Hot wife
Wood Mizer LT35HDG25, Re-saw attachment
Official Member of the BBFC

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 12:08:19 AM »
"I want some of your boards that you throw away. Like free ones." I show him the slab pile and rejects pile and he says "No, they gotta be nicer than that. Im building a fence" Thats when I try real hard to break wind......
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Offline moosehunter

• Senior Member x2
  • Every once in a while
    • Share Post
    • Saw it Coming
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 05:36:42 AM »
I've had all these issues and more, one that occurs on EVERY job and always makes me laugh is the log count. I mean how hard is it to count to 10. Or 14. Or 26?? I hear on the phone from the client "I have about 10 logs. About?  You can't count to 10 ? 
I stopped the other day to look at this Saturdays job because I was in the area. Client stated he had 30 logs , so I spent all of 5 or 6 seconds and counted , 26. 
mh
If it is true that we learn from our mistakes, I must be Brilliant!

Online terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 06:31:24 AM »
The phone calls that begin....

I have these beautiful oaks, straight for must be 50 feet, was thinking it would be such a shame for it to just be cut up into firewood...

and end.....

"You're doing the right thing calling sawmills, but in my case I'm a portable sawmill service.  I don't buy logs, sell lumber, cut down trees, saw on shares, or make wooden wedding cakes. "
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT   2001 WM LT40SHDD (42HP Kubota, Accuset2, FAO's, Lubemizer, debarker, hydraulics everywhere), Peterson WPF 10-30 with chain slabber. Logrite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 08:31:38 AM »
"They are 16" logs.......Oh you want me to measure across"?  ::)

There is a difference between diameter and circumference.   :P

On the phone she said that she wanted me to saw her logs into 2X12's.  She drove up and the tailgate on her truck was closed and there was nothing showing above the sides.   :o 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline DPatton

• Share Post
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 11:52:43 AM »
Got a text the other day and the guy asked "How many boards do I need to buy for a 12' x 9' shed?"  Nothing else..... I had to wait to reply or else it may have come across wrong.  
LOL.... I would have replied "all of them and you should hurry before the price increases due to metal tariffs."
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.

Offline DR_Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Nuff said.....
    • Share Post
    • Got Logs?
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 12:13:51 PM »
I don't get many of the type of calls identified in this thread.   I have lots of details on my web page to help them get answers including how to determine approximate cost before they call me.    I also have in bold red font that I do not cut down trees. 

www.gotlogs.biz

I do get the question about 12" wide boards from 10" logs though.   :D    That's when I explain how to do glue ups in the wood shop.   ;D
Hidden Acres Farm
Been there, done that.   Never got caught

Wood-Mizer LT40HDG38
Lucas Dedicated 60" Slabber

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Sawyer with portable mill wanted in SE. Louisiana

Started by swampwood on Wanted

2 Replies
Last post March 12, 2013, 09:28:49 PM
by WDH
xx
Wanted: Portable sawyer in Hernando County, Fl

Started by nomad on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post March 09, 2014, 08:49:57 PM
by ellmoe