The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Arborwear

Author Topic: Top handle saw-which one  (Read 1613 times)

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Top handle saw-which one
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2018, 10:24:26 AM »
Many folks have the mistaken impression that a tiny little top handle saw can't do the great bodily damage as a bigger full size saw is capable of. 'I can control dat tiny little thing one handed no problem'. After a long and pain filled healing process my younger brother no longer has that attitude.
Even when operating two handed, it's harder to control than a similarly sized rear-handle saw. You just don't get the leverage when your hands are that close together... which is why they are not recommended for inexperienced users. My bias against top handled saws is not that they are bad tools. There is a reason they exist. Like a lot of tools, they are great for their intended use when in the hands of someone who knows how to use it properly. It's not something I would recommend for an occasional or inexperienced user.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2018, 11:05:37 AM »
I see chainsaws like guns.  Casual and inexperienced users have a duty to become competent operators, period.  

A small, cheap gun and small cheap saw serve a PRICE point, not a safety point.   I dont care if its a ms170 or an MS880. it is only as safe as its operator.  The machinery is never to blame for the operators short comings.

Revelation 3:20

Offline Tinbeers

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2018, 07:02:35 PM »
Many folks have the mistaken impression that a tiny little top handle saw can't do the great bodily damage as a bigger full size saw is capable of. 'I can control dat tiny little thing one handed no problem'. After a long and pain filled healing process my younger brother no longer has that attitude.
He must have been a weak little todler. I am 55 and have been running saws since I was 12.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2018, 08:44:17 PM »
We don't know hyow it occurred. I don't want to get into a war here but imho running any saw one handed is an accident waiting to happen, the free hand can't operate the chain brake quickly. What happens if the operator falls on a moving chain or it hits the ground and kicks back? We get complacent it's only a matter of time before we get bitten.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2018, 09:13:37 PM »
You cant be an arborist without running one handed pretty often.  Being a fireman or a soldier is an accident waiting to happen.  But the job still needs done.  

And i mean that only as a conversational anecdite sawguy, not any sort of snide rebuttal or anything, just to be clear. 
Revelation 3:20

Offline chet

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2018, 10:51:48 PM »

He must have been a weak little todler. I am 55 and have been running saws since I was 12.
NOT AT ALL. He is 6'2 and around 210# and was about 55 like you when it happened. And he has not only run saws, but made his living with them his entire life. 
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the arborist

Offline beauj5

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2018, 01:45:51 AM »
Id rethink the top handled saw for ground work.  They are meant for tree climbing, not for ground work. They are designed to be used while up in a tree with one hand on the limb or trunk and one on the saw.  That skill alone is one that takes practice and knowledge. Using one on the ground is awkward and dangerous. If you want a small, lightweight ground saw, there are plenty available that are less than half the price and a whole lot easier and safer to use. 
When the road forked, I went straight.

T540xp, 562xp, 034 super mag, 044, 460, 576, 056 super mag, ms460, 066, ms880, 090.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Can I handle it?

Started by Brad_S. on Sawmills and Milling

14 Replies
Last post March 27, 2006, 09:35:29 PM
by wiam
xx
I Can Handle It!

Started by Lud on General Woodworking

9 Replies
Last post September 23, 2012, 03:49:22 PM
by Magicman