TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Aloha  (Read 3107 times)

Offline kanoak

• Share Post
Re: Aloha
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 01:46:00 PM »
Aloha, good info, I imagine them as solutions for different niches. I could use the sheer to remove pre-commercial trees safely and without damage to others. I have not seen a market that will pay enough for <12" to be worth any further work. My alternative is herbicide injection which is cheep and fast, but some species root-graft while others don't respond to the same chemicals.  
The logmax looks like an amazing tool, needs twice the oil I can get (I think the larger one can put out 90 l/min with both pumps combined). In all reality, a full processor head is more than I could really use at this point, however I am stoked to learn more about them. Ill be in Oregon this summer so maybe Ill go window shopping and rubber-necking a little. 

Port to port freight is usually calculated cubic, roll on costs more. ~1k to ship a rig from Hilo to LA on PASHA; I would *guess* I could get a pallet for less than that from portland - dock to door.

Mike - thank you for the information and help. Had the machine for a couple of years now but still only run less than 100gal of fuel, working flat and on base corse. Fixing the most obvious problems first. Changed all the filters and drained/settled the hydraulic oil; looked good. Came without a cap on the fuel tank so most of the issues have so far been related to that. I need to sit down with the shop manual and look for any inline hyd. filters that we may have missed. Turning wise, I mostly notice the chains want to hop the lower rollers which wears things out fast. I know - first check track tension. However my experience on the smaller machine, (I replaced the rollers and tracks and have tried tighter and spec tension), is that I am commonly working side slope and lifting one track to spin it back on the lower rollers after turning.
Aloha,
Kanoa

Offline Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2018, 04:00:34 PM »
Here in Oregon you’re not going to see much in the way of smaller equipment, I do know a guy running roughly a logmax 5000 on a 138 Komatsu which weighs roughly 15 tons. You also might look on the Portland area Craigslist there two smaller machines a 290 and a 490 that have fixed fabtek heads for cheap that would fit your needs as well. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2018, 04:41:37 PM »
Take a look at the front of the track frame where the idler yokes ride fore and aft in the track frames.  Determine however the idler is kept square in the frame and see if its worn.  When you get a half inch of cumulative wear per side and the idler floats around, it can cause this.  My D31 has brand new sprockets and rails with good tension but lots of wear in the yoke guide and the frame itself.. Itll step the rolls over the rails on the high side track if im really light on it and trying to turn.

Has the inner flange on your bottom rolls been worn clean off?  That wouldnt help either. 

Sump strainers are great place to start.  After that find a port and measure your charge pressure going into the drive pump inlet.  Gonna want 80 psi or more in there.  
Revelation 3:20

Offline kanoak

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2018, 12:15:31 AM »
Thanks Mike, been a little crazy over here and just got to check out the machine. Yokes/guides are worn easily 3/4". Most of the bottom rollers are ok. Drained the fuel tank and mopped with a rag on a stick. Changed the secondary fuel filter ($%!$ fun that) and cleaned primary; seems like it fixed the the power issues mostly until the primary clogged again in about 2 hours. Looks like I am going to have some fun cleaning. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. 
Aloha,
Kanoa
Aloha,
Kanoa

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2018, 12:20:44 AM »
Is it something you can weld up without too much trouble?  

Offline kanoak

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2018, 11:41:14 PM »
Maybe when I replace the undercarriage. For now I will just try to be nice and stand on my sprockets to turn being I am in a relatively mellow area. Other equipment needs my time more.
Aloha,
Kanoa

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2018, 08:34:55 AM »
Did the lava flows effect you at all?

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-10 and still feelin pretty darned good!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2018, 06:37:18 PM »
Interesting thread for an east coaster.
Makes my eyes glaze over.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo
241 acres of woodland

Offline kanoak

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2018, 11:51:34 PM »
Aoha Mike, lost about 56hrs of sleep helping friends and family evacuate in the beginning of May when things were getting going. Vog on this side is something like a pack a day habit; didnt notice it until I spent a couple of weeks in Oregon. Things are rusting even faster than usual due to the acid rain. Stoked to have a roof over the mill and new edger. Wish I had more. Compared to those who have lost everything though, unscathed.
Aloha,
Kanoa

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2018, 04:36:00 PM »
Catastrophe really does help us with perspective on the big picture.  Glad youre alright.  

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter