The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Siatic nerve pain  (Read 5880 times)

Offline alan gage

• Share Post
Re: Siatic nerve pain
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2019, 05:27:57 PM »
I heard from the doctor's office today and insurance has approved the procedure and they think they might be able to squeeze me in a week from now. That means I have to go off the Ibuprofen and Aleve as of tonight. That's going to be murder on me but I stockpiled my Tramadol and Hydrocodone for just that reason. Hopefully I have enough to get me through or I might have to knock off a drugstore or two. 

Pretty darn excited right now. Didn't ever think I'd look forward to going in for surgery but I sure am.

Alan
Timberking B-16

Offline alan gage

• Share Post
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2019, 03:17:35 PM »
I heard from the doctor's office today and insurance has approved the procedure and they think they might be able to squeeze me in a week from now.
They weren't able to coordinate doctors so I need to wait a few extra days until April 1st. I hope my doctor's don't have a twisted sense of humor. That could be a scary place to be on April Fools.
Or maybe I can think of a good joke to play on them.....
Alan
Timberking B-16

Offline alan gage

• Share Post
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2019, 11:11:50 PM »
Showed up at the hospital at 5:00am April 1st and woke up from surgery at 10:45am. 

Doctor said the L4/L5 joint was very loose (apparently worse than the MRI indicated) and he's pretty confident that will resolve most of my issues. So far all the pain I had when I showed up at the hospital is gone and I'm once again standing straight. There is certainly some incision pain and my abs are very tender but it's nice to finally feel no pain in my back, hips, or legs. 

They had me up walking the hall the same day as surgery. They took me down for basic physical and occupational therapy the next morning (walking, stairs, in/out of cars, shower, dressing etc) and that all went fine. They cleared me for release the day after surgery but since it's a 2 hour drive to get home and I was starting to feel really drowsy I elected to spend a 2nd night in the hospital and left around noon today. 

Back home now and am getting along pretty good. They've got me on a light pain pill schedule that's keeping the pain at bay. Been sleeping a lot and trying to get up and move around every so often. Looking forward to getting healed up a bit more. 

Very happy so far. 

Alan
Timberking B-16

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2019, 06:40:21 AM »
Good deal 8). Take it easy and follow docs orders, those pain pills can get a man into trouble, can't feel it so do too much. I hope this works out and you get back into it soon.
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Online scouter Joe

• Full Member x2
  • Making sawdust
    • Share Post
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2019, 07:25:10 AM »
Thanks for the up date . I've been wondering how you were doing . Hope you can continue improving and eventually get back to work and canoeing as well . scouter Joe

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2019, 10:22:56 AM »
Happy for you Alan.   8)

Offline red

• Senior Member x2
  • we will never forget
    • Share Post
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2019, 01:18:46 PM »
A positive attitude goes a long way. 
We have a lot of good boys and girls in harms way
lets all support them and their familys.

Offline alan gage

• Share Post
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2019, 10:06:50 AM »
Hope you can continue improving and eventually get back to work and canoeing as well . scouter Joe
I've been seeing your screen name and wondered if you were the same scouter Joe from myccr and canoetripping. I guess I have my answer. Nice to see you here!
Yesterday (3rd day after surgery) was the first day I felt normal and didn't want to just sleep. I spent plenty of time resting on my back but no napping and I even went out for lunch with my girlfriend and stopped by the shop to see my dad and my mom's house for a visit. Friends stopped over with food last night. 
Pain is being well managed with 200mg of tramadol and 2000mg of tylenol over 24 hours. The tylenol and tramedol are staggered so I'm taking some form of pill every 3 hours. Mobility around the house is not an issue. I'm trying to make a point not to push it too far though. I've been sitting at the computer for 20 minutes and now I'll take a shower before laying down in bed to read for an hour or so. 
I'm starting to feel a little bit of the sciatic nerve pain creeping back into my right ankle but it's intermittent and nothing like it was before. They said nerve pain would be the last thing to go away (and may not go completely). Otherwise I've just got a long tender incision on my belly and really sore ab muscles.  
For anyone that's curious the procedure I had done is called an ALIF, which means they come in through the front for access. But in my case they also came in from the back to remove more material around the nerve and add more stabilization. I feel virtually no pain from the rear incision. It's much smaller than the front. 
Alan
Timberking B-16

Offline BradMarks

• Foresters are TREE-mendous
    • Share Post
    • Pacforest Supply
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2019, 11:36:25 AM »
Alan:  My guess is the return of a little intermittent pain in the ankle is your body reminding you to slow down just a bit. Riding in the car some can be a little bouncy, things like that.  Just take it easy, walk around the block a bit, light exercise.  Spoken from someone who did overdo it in the beginning - me. You think you're doing great - next moment ugh!  Just being bent over too long in the beginning, sitting too long, simple stuff like that can be an issue. I remember walking around the block felt so good that I would keep trying to "improve my time" like it was a race. Not a good thing to do, as it set me back a bit. Anyway, good recovery ahead!

Offline alan gage

• Share Post
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2019, 12:36:03 PM »
Thanks for the reminder, Brad. Those were the last words of the doctor when I saw him just before discharge. "Don't overdue it." He said if I want to walk a mile I'd be better off doing it in short sections. I'm trying to keep that in mind. The surgical pain is still a good reminder but I can see, as the days and weeks go on, that it will get more difficult to keep myself from overdoing it. 

Alan
Timberking B-16

Offline BradMarks

• Foresters are TREE-mendous
    • Share Post
    • Pacforest Supply
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2019, 01:43:35 PM »
Absolutely, right now you feel like a million bucks compared to what it was like, just makes you think you "can do it all".  And you will, just not yet. 

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2019, 02:52:51 PM »
All sounds good!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2019, 10:01:33 AM »
 I agree with Brad, take it easy for a longer period than I did. At 6 mo. I thought I could start running from one place to another big mistake brought pain back in my right leg enough to realize it wasn't a good idea.
 Also be careful of the tramadol,it's highly addictive. I had a hard time getting off it after my operation in 95. Today I'm on it again but this time it's only 50mg 3 times during the day.It's good cause it doesn't make me drowsy so I can work with less pain.
Ed K

Offline alan gage

• Share Post
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2019, 11:17:32 AM »
Today is 2 weeks post-surgery. Recovery has been going much better than I anticipated. No problems getting around and not much pain. I quit taking pain meds (other than Tylenol) a couple days ago and so far so good.

Came back to work this morning. I work in an auto repair shop but only in the office since hurting my back last year. It's a nice mix of sitting, standing, and walking back and forth across the shop. Will probably take a long early lunch to go home and lay down for a while and will probably leave early this afternoon too. I ordered a standing desk and tall seat to use with it and they should be here later this week. Hoping that will be a little easier on the back.

Took the dog for a walk last night (about 3/4 mile). That sure felt good. Haven't been able to do that since December.

Alan
Timberking B-16

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2019, 12:33:15 PM »
Sounds good!! Well better than good!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2019, 03:32:09 PM »
Today is 2 weeks post-surgery. Recovery has been going much better than I anticipated. No problems getting around and not much pain. I quit taking pain meds (other than Tylenol) a couple days ago and so far so good.

Came back to work this morning. I work in an auto repair shop but only in the office since hurting my back last year. It's a nice mix of sitting, standing, and walking back and forth across the shop. Will probably take a long early lunch to go home and lay down for a while and will probably leave early this afternoon too. I ordered a standing desk and tall seat to use with it and they should be here later this week. Hoping that will be a little easier on the back.

Took the dog for a walk last night (about 3/4 mile). That sure felt good. Haven't been able to do that since December.

Alan
I'm interested in the standing desk and how you like it. Been thinking of putting a couple of them in the office.
The First 60 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • Share Post
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2019, 10:02:28 AM »
I'm so happy to hear you are up and about.  Especially the part about walking the dog.  Remember...we like pictures. 
Save a farm today or starve tomorrow.

Offline Woodpecker52

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2019, 10:46:02 AM »
I tried Hemp Oil extract 1000 mg for back pain inflammation nerve pain, joints aching, knees popping and stiff back etc.   With in one day it started to work, can now work all day turning logs, stacking lumber and no pain.  I can sit in a chair and lift leg to the other and put on sock something I have not been able to do for 20 years.  I bought it online through that South American river store. I take it once in the morning drops under tongue have been using for over a month no side effects.  Hemp has no THC only CBDs, tastes like a sort of burnt seed and bitter but its kind of like beer you develop a taste after awhile. Oh well it works for me.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900

Offline alan gage

• Share Post
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2019, 12:20:20 PM »
I tried Hemp Oil extract 1000 mg for back pain inflammation nerve pain, joints aching, knees popping and stiff back etc.   With in one day it started to work, can now work all day turning logs, stacking lumber and no pain.  I can sit in a chair and lift leg to the other and put on sock something I have not been able to do for 20 years.  I bought it online through that South American river store. I take it once in the morning drops under tongue have been using for over a month no side effects.  Hemp has no THC only CBDs, tastes like a sort of burnt seed and bitter but its kind of like beer you develop a taste after awhile. Oh well it works for me.
I have a friend who says she's been having good luck with that as well and another friend that used marijuana medicinally after falling off a ladder and breaking her back 10 years or so ago. She says it's either illegal marijuana or legal opioids from the doctor to keep pain at bay. She's more worried about the opioids.
Alan
Timberking B-16

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #99 on: Yesterday at 11:10:51 PM »
Alan,
This all is great news!  Glad the surgery and your recovery is going well.  Pace and don't over do stuff.  Hope your recovering continues to go well!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Sciatic Nerve

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD on Health and Safety

58 Replies
Last post December 30, 2016, 02:51:26 PM
by Clean Image
xx
Self help for a pinched nerve?

Started by Old Greenhorn on Health and Safety

27 Replies
Last post April 05, 2019, 04:57:29 PM
by Old Greenhorn