The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Timber Frame Cabin Build  (Read 7296 times)

Offline TimFromNB

• Full Member x2
  • New guy here.
    • Share Post
Re: Timber Frame Cabin Build
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2018, 02:57:56 PM »
I'm about 10 mins from Shediac. Yourself?

Offline sbishop

• Share Post
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2018, 01:48:31 PM »
I'm located both ways from you, I live in Fredericton but I'm wrong the Miramichi area.

This was my project few years back! http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=22343.0

Welcome!

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2018, 01:14:53 PM »
s Bishop,
Enjoyed your thread.  Great job!  Hope all is holding up well at your camp.

Offline TimFromNB

• Full Member x2
  • New guy here.
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2018, 08:02:08 AM »
Bishop, I browsed through the thread quickly: very nice looking camp! Is that on a branch of the Miramichi? Looks like good fishing :)

Offline Geeg

• Full Member x2
  • Living the Dream!
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2018, 04:07:37 AM »
Great job Tim, will watch your progress. smiley_thumbsup

Geeg
Airbus 380 Captain, living in the Middle East, counting down the days till retirement. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2018, 05:34:19 AM »
I cut some 8X8 from red pine. They was close to the sawmill. I could see the sawmill drooling as it looked at them. :D  I put them up green and I noticed they started to twist. I only used 2-3. I went back to hemlock.
Good luck with your build.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline TimFromNB

• Full Member x2
  • New guy here.
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2018, 08:18:50 PM »
Haven't posted an update in a while. Got held up working on a slightly twisted tie beam, so got an ink line and figured out "snap line square rule".

Then I had the bright idea to test fit and raise the first bent. My Dad gave me a hand.

...but the rigging slipped and I lost most of my work to date...I was pretty upset :o. As you can see, one post is completely broken. The other has hairline splits around the tie beam mortise, so I will probably have to scarp it as well. I need to inspect the tie beam again, but the tenon might have held on without damage.

I noticed a few days later that there was some moisture beading in the affected joints. Must have been from the stress?

That will use up my spares. Plus, it looks like some of the other EWP timbers have shake. So I might have to go the log yard and get some more logs to have milled up...On the bright side, my joints fitted well and I ponied up the money for a chain mortiser to make up for lost time... :D

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2018, 09:30:53 PM »
Sorry about your bad luck with the rigging slipping.  Good lesson/reason not to be in the line of Fire when doing this.  

Hey getting new toy tool helps make up for it a little. 

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2018, 10:45:19 PM »
Oh, bummer. :-\  I don't trust slings on forks.  One of my forks had a hole burned through it.  I use a shackle, then nothing can slip.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Heartwood

• Full Member x2
  • Will Beemer
    • Share Post
    • Heartwood School
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2018, 09:37:18 AM »
A good lesson here (sorry for your pain Tim, but perhaps we can learn from it):
One factor in timber frame design is the raising method.
Square rule layout from an edge, where the mortise is only 1.5" or 2" from the reference face, has limitations.
The thinner (outside) mortise wall is not designed to handle the torque that resulted from lifting only on the tie beam; the weight and levering of the posts may have twisted the dovetail joint causing the split. The tenon is unlikely to split; mortises are the weak point. Brace mortises could also fail if the bent is twisted like this.
If the bent was hand raised with the post bottoms supported by the deck this failure would likely not occur. Once the bent was vertical the joint can handle the stresses it was meant to take in service with no problem.
Mortises closer to the center of the timber would be better if the bent is to be raised as shown.
Strongbacks clamped across the joint would have also helped.
My 2 cents...

Offline sterling08

• Learning to Timberframe
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2018, 01:26:00 PM »
Tim,

I can understand that this is very upsetting, but look on the bright side... You got rid of that one mortise you really didn't care for too much anyway!

This is an awesome build. Don't let a setback like this get you down too much.

This reminds me of this saying I saw one time: "Experience is the best teacher.......... But tuition is high".

Sterling.

Offline TimFromNB

• Full Member x2
  • New guy here.
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2018, 03:45:07 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement :). Certainly a lesson learned.

The post bottoms were sitting on blocks, though you might not be able to see them well in the picture. Basically, when it fell, the post bottoms were on the blocks, and the tie beam would have been at 8' off the ground. Although when it fell it's quite possible it also slid of the blocks and created the torque that split the posts.

Moving on... :D

Offline Vautour

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2019, 06:01:16 AM »
.... Hey TimFromNB..how's the build coming along?? love to see the build up close someday... I do lotsa work in the Cape Pele area and only 40min away nice work..
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Offline TimFromNB

• Full Member x2
  • New guy here.
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2019, 03:21:00 PM »
Un Vautour de Richibucto? ;D I don't have many joints cut right now, but it would probably be worth seeing in a few months, especially if you haven't seen some in person before :D

I bought a house back in November so have been busy with that. I was able to bring some of the timbers back home and into my garage. It's an old shack really, but it cuts out most of the wind. I cleaned it out today and should be back in business tomorrow. I would really need to have everything cut for this summer/fall so I can assemble it before it moves too much (if it hasn't already!). I'll post some picture of my setup.

Offline timberframe

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2019, 10:07:05 AM »
Nice to see a couple of New Brunswickers on here!  Moving back there this spring and setting up my timberframed shop.  

I'm also right at the early stages of designing a small, off-grid timberframe for someone in the Sussex area which is exciting.

Project looks great Tim, looking forward to more updates.

B

Offline Vautour

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2019, 07:32:27 AM »
... Yup..un ptit francais de Richibucto haha.... i'll keep an eye out on your build and maybe visit someday for some up close timber framing tips..  
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Offline TimFromNB

• Full Member x2
  • New guy here.
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2019, 08:17:28 PM »
@timberframe, sounds interesting. Would be cool to see that once the project starts. Are you in the TF business?
@Vautour - moi je suis un ptit francais de Shediac :). Let me know if ever you want to take a look in person.

Who knew there would be timber frame enthusiasts in NB :)

Here are some pictures since my last update. I purchased a chain mortiser after my bent raising accident. Cut one post before the whole new house thing took all my time:

A big storm in October or November actually blew off my stack covers. I was able to dig out three of them. (December 2018 ):

My build site, over the Christmas holidays:

Went down this Friday to plow out the road to the stacks and dig out around them. There was a good 2 feet of snow/ice build up.

...And, my setup in my new (to me) garage. Finally back at it!

Offline TimFromNB

• Full Member x2
  • New guy here.
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2019, 08:28:23 PM »
Which brings me to a question. I am a little rusty since last fall. I started the layout on a post today, which is in the center bent. There is a small knot cluster and I don't know if it would be structurally better to have this located in the tie beam mortise (wedged half-dovetail), or just above it (regarding the outwards thrust the rafter plate will apply to the top of the post).

This might be hard to illustrate. The ruler is the top angle of the mortise, and the pencil is the bottom. The knots I am referring to are in between. The top shoulder of the post is about 1 foot to the right of the ruler.

You can (barely) make out the mortise layout below. In this picture, I am looking towards the top of the post. Would these knots be better off just above the ruler (4" is all I have for excess) or are they OK where they are now? I am probably over thinking this...

Thanks!

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2019, 09:35:41 PM »
For those knots, you're probably overthinking it, but, it is good to be thinking like that. Usually it is not a good idea to locate a mortise where there are knots. The slope of grain around a knot is already weakening the timber, then if you chop out a bunch of fiber to create a mortise it compounds the problem. It is best to have clear grain between the tie and thrust so do think just like you are when laying out the timber, flip it end for end, slide around, if square rotae it and think about stress and grain, keep thinking like you are. This is one reason it doesn't hurt to have well overlength timbers, it lets you shift layout better.

Your pics remind me of a job we were on in N WI. I left in late fall after finishing the house and came back in early spring to do the sauna and inside work. Took 2 days to find one of my piles :D
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline TimFromNB

• Full Member x2
  • New guy here.
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2019, 09:03:45 AM »
Thanks Don! We had a weird winter here with lots of snow, followed by mild temperature and rain, then back to -20C. My nice timber stacks have taken on a bit of a patina ;).

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Post and Beam/ Timber frame Cabin Questions- New to timber framing

Started by TimberHawg1 on Timber Framing/Log construction

8 Replies
Last post February 15, 2019, 02:01:04 AM
by D L Bahler
xx
Timber Frame Cabin by Woodhenge

Started by Bibbyman on Timber Framing/Log construction

25 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 08:40:13 PM
by Bibbyman