iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

propane overpressure

Started by trapper, May 01, 2018, 07:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

Had the propane filled at the end of February while we were on vacation.    It was filled about 3 days before we got home  and my daughter started the outdoor furnace before we got home so we used almost no propane from the tank.  For the last 2 days the tank has been getting warm with the current warm spell and the expanding propane has been tripping the over pressure valve several times a day. when that happens it blows the cover off the tank and sounds like a shotgun going off.  Made several calls to the propane company and all I get is the valve is doing what it is supposed to do and dont worry about it. It is their tank that I pay rent on.   Any suggestions?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Magicman

The tank was probably overfilled.  It should have been filled to 80%.  If the pop off valve is set correctly (and it probably is) the propane is expanding as it warms up and the pop off valve is releasing the excess pressure.  Yup, doing it's job.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jason.weir

Southside

Had the same exact thing happen today with a tank that was filled a few weeks ago - first really warm day, yes the relief it doing its job, the problem is the technician who filled it did not do their job.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

maple flats

I have 2 bulk tanks, one at the sugarhouse and one on a 5th wheel camper permanently parked nearby. I instruct my supplier to only fill the tanks to 75% after 3/1 until 12/1. That way, when a tank is filled I'm using propane at the sugarhouse so as the temperature rises I've used it down. Doing thus I've never heard the safety valve blow.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

pabst79

100% agree with Southside, the LP companies usually fill to 85% in our area in Jan and Feb, the driver should have filled it to 80% max this far into Spring.
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

low_48

FS dealer around here had a supplier put anhydrous ammonia in their bulk propane tank. They've placed temp tanks at all homes effected, and are replacing all brass parts in appliances. What a mess! Insurance companies are supposed to be covering all costs! No idea what they will be doing with the contaminated product.

DelawhereJoe

Why do you think you only get 15 or 17 lbs in a lp tank any more when you swap them out ? Much less likelihood of things being over filled = less trouble with customers tanks venting off or bursting into flames burning houses and grills down.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Woodcutter_Mo

I'd say they overfilled it. They overfilled our tank several years back and on a hot day it tripped the relief valve and shot a stream of propane 20'+ in the air letting off a super loud hiss sound. We had to yell to hear each other on the other side of the house about 50'+ away. 
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

PineNut

Why only 15 to 17 lbs in a tank? They want you to come back for a replacement tank sooner.

Marketeers,  husketeers, racketeers. The only different is the degree of legality.

DelawhereJoe

A tank with 15 or 17 lbs isn't going to vent off, 4.6lbs per gal for lp, its just safer for the companies that fill a 1000 tanks an hour. Less likelihood of being sued by your customers. I used to work for a company that filled tanks for Blue Rhino and for Papco and if everything was working right they could fill 1000 cans an hour. They would also wear out a forklift before they paid ot off too.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Crusarius

it is a safety thing. Propane is heavier than air. That means if you have a low spot and you vent propane it will settle into the low spot. creates a very unsafe condition. Especially if some form of spark / ignition happens in said low spot.

Example drive your garden tractor through the low spot and it could be the last time you ever do.

trapper

lit our water heater today to use the  excess propane in the tank.  bought the water heater 15 years ago and had not lit it yet.  Used the outdoor furnace for hot water.     took my air compressor down  and blew out the accumulated dust. Will see if I use enough to keep it from blowing again.  The heat wave continues 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!