iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Those 3 fingers in the dust chute on the Woodmizer. . . .

Started by Just Right, May 02, 2018, 10:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Right

I am new here and want to say HAY!  Love this place as it is full of a wealth of knowledge and even a bit of humor!

Has anyone else thought about cutting those 3 fingers out of the dust chute of a Woodmizer?  I am sure they are there to catch a broken blade,  but they catch bark too and clog up the dust chute.  Or am I missing something.  

Thanks.
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum. It's been done. You have to assume the liability of doing so. I never allow anybody on that side of the mill when its running anyway. I've had bands come through the fingers anyway. Back when I had those fingers. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Just Right

Dave that is what I was thinking too.  I understand the safety aspect,  also ease of use is important too.  Thanks for the reply

pineywoods

Yeah, they are there to catch a broken blade, which will be traveling in the neighborhood of 60 mph. I saw a lot of cypress and cedar with stringy bark. My mill has the rubber sawdust hose replaced with a sheet metal duct leading to a sawdust blower. Have had broken blades punch a hole completely through the sheet metal. 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

SawyerTed

I've had vertical bandsaw blades break in the school shop (retired shop teacher) and at home.  When one breaks and comes out of the machine, you can't get away from it fast enough! The zone directly beside the shop bandsaw table is a no standing zone just like the chute area of the sawmill.  I'd hate to be standing/walking at the controls of a band sawmill and have one come out without being slowed down by those fingers.  Without those fingers, it would be far less predictable similar to a vertical bandsaw blade.  Imagine an wildcat with 158 inches of claws coming after you.

I think there was a photo posted in one of the threads where the blade broke and punctured the rubber chute and protruded 18" or so. And that was with the fingers in place.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Stephen

My mill has the fingers bent outward some. Don't clog with bark and chips too much, but still there to deflect a broken blade downward and slow it a little.
1994 WoodMizer LT40G18. 69 acres mixed wood. 1952 ford tractor, Norse 290 winch, studed Norse ice chains. 45-66DT Fiat.

Just Right

I like the modified version Stephen.  Helps but doesn't get rid of all the protection.

Piney I enjoyed your insight on the solar kiln.  What is the highest temps you have seen with your kiln?

Southside

I cut out two of the fingers as cedar was always plugging up my mill.  Once in a while when a band breaks it will come a couple of inches out of the steel, down into the rubber chute, but that is all.  Zero chance of it getting me.  Having a constantly plugged mill was a greater danger in my opinion.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Just Right

Southside.   I like that too.  I farm so I can saw . . . . .and saw so I can farm . . . .lol  We do about 55 acres of horse hay.  What do you farm?

Magicman

One of mine is broken off but it still does bad things with only 2.  I have had many blades break and a few escaped and exited via the sawdust chute.  This one decided to make it's own escape route.  Personally, I do not recommend removing the fingers.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Southside

Magicman - interestingly I think the sawdust chute on our saws is different, yours seems to be directed more at the ground than mine.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Just Right

Magicman,  Thanks for the pic.  That could do some damage.  I have a lot of family in MS.  Try to get that way a couple of times a year.

PAmizerman

I cut mine off long ago. I work alone and that side of the mill is 4' from the wall. I'm never on that side while the mill is running
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Anyone who removes fingers may also be removing fingers, legs, bellies, pets and friends.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on May 02, 2018, 12:22:32 PM
One of mine is broken off .......
If you need one I'll be glad to give you a finger.  :D :D :D 8) 8) 8)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Magicman, your pics looks like a blade vending machine.  :D

4x4American

Quote from: Southside logger on May 02, 2018, 12:28:30 PM
Magicman - interestingly I think the sawdust chute on our saws is different, yours seems to be directed more at the ground than mine.  
That was one of my complaints with the lt40, the sawdust chute was pointed right at the ground which made the sawdust go underneath the mill as it built up.  I took a c-clamp and clamped around the outside to hold it up more.  That is one of the many advantages of going to the 70, they have the sawdust chute at the perfect angle, it puts the sawdust far enuff away from the mill it makes shoveling alot easier.  It might seem silly but when you shovel 3-5 yards/day it makes it more better.  When I have the mill outside I just leave the chute up so I could just scoop it up with a machine
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

My LT40 seems to get the sawdust away from the mill.  :D I need to refilm this with Turbos.

LT40 Wireless - YouTube
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

I cut mine out, I'm going to fast for the blade to come out, It sticks in the log.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

Mine are long gone. NOBODY goes past he chute when the blade is engaged.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Just Right

There has been a lot of good insight.  I appreciate all the food for thought.  Thanks guys.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Just Right

Thanks Chuck.  I just can't get over how much good and useful info one can find here.

Thank You Sponsors!