TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Who's who of campers  (Read 2631 times)

Offline DDW_OR

• Share Post
Re: Who's who of campers
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 09:54:38 PM »
some questions:
1 - are you the only one going to be living in it?
2 - Just for the warmer months, or all year?
3 - RV or Toyhauler
4 - have you thought of the Escape, Scamp, or Casita

The 19 Foot Escape

Casita is a spinoff of Scamp.
Travel Trailer Luxury for Couples | The Casita Freedom | Casita Travel Trailers - America's Favorite Lightweight Travel Trailers!

If you have electricity at the mill then add a two burner hot plate and 120v lights
Multitek 1610EZ, TimberKing 2000 & Talon Sharpener,
"let the machines do the work"

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2018, 10:08:13 PM »
We stay in our camper in Va. mountains for days at a time.  However when outside temps are to hit 25 or so we donít stay there.  The water line freezes near the low point drains or near the fresh tank outlet.  I have been under the camper more than once with a hairdryer trying to thaw frozen pipes.  It is not a 4 season unit for sure.  We do have it under an aluminum cover which helps with weather and gives us a place outside to sit if it is raining.

I would seek a more insulated domicile!

Online DelawhereJoe

• Trapped in Delawhere
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2018, 11:21:44 PM »
Don't know if you found this review yet. The Best Cold-Weather RVs for Extreme Cold - Camper Report
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Offline Gary_C

• Senior Member x2
  • Sunrise on the Prairie
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2018, 01:20:52 AM »
That link above is a good one.

I have a 5th wheel camper that I live in year round on the job. I looked for a long time till I found one I could afford and was made for cold weather. The first thing to look for is thermo pane (double glass) windows. Most likely any cold weather camper will have an Artic package.

The problem of condensation that has been mentioned is not caused by the propane fired heating system but rather poorly insulated windows and walls that condense the moisture inside the camper when high humidity air inside hits the cold surfaces. I have lived in an older travel trailer and you could never see out of the windows because of the frost on the inside of the single pane windows. I spent one night in the camper when it was -36 F and the propane tank froze up and the heater was blowing cold air. I was comfy under my electric blanket but I packed up the next morning and went home. 

In the fall when it started to freeze, I always winterized the water and sewer system for the winter. I kept a five gallon jug of water in the camper for mostly hand washing and cooking. Usually went home once a week for laundry and showers. For the potty, I just bought a porta potty and emptied it when ever it got full or before I let the heat go off. It was a pain as even with chemicals it smells.

I knew of a contractor that built houses year around and he took an older camper and rebuilt the inside with 2x4 walls, insulation and house windows. Of course he built the water system fully insulated so it was like a mini home. As other people have said they do make what's called a park model that is fully ready for cold weather.

You would have an advantage over me with full time electricity. In most of my locations in the woods I live with a battery bank, inverter and portable generator.

It's doable but takes some careful preparation. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2018, 05:58:13 AM »
A couple was satayng in a camper while building thier house. They left the camper halfway through the winter.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2018, 07:35:30 AM »
You have water and sewer hookups? Does your zoning allow it? I used to have a Winnebago class A that had a heated basement and winter package that could be used in cold weather but you would need a big propane tank hooked to it for more than a couple days. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a Logrite cant hook.

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2018, 05:40:28 PM »
Most travel trailers are considered 3 season use while some of the "better" 5th wheels are advertised as 4 season use. I have a Nuwa HitchHiker 5th wheel that is well insulated and suitable to live in. They are no longer made but used ones can be found as well as other brands and most brands have forums where you can ask like you did here on specific models. The info here on building a shelter over/around it would get you living in one quick and do the shelter while your there.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2018, 07:37:13 PM »
I have an old 28' fifth wheel camper under a roof. Built a 8x12 shed with insulation and a door at each end. Made a little hallway to attach the two. There is a big woodstove in the shed. Heat will overwhelm you in the camper. Still condensation in the winter. I wouldn't want to try to cook or shower in there; the windows are dripping just from breathing. I never use the furnace. Maybe with all that heat, just open more vents/windows ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Offline DaveinNH

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2018, 12:36:34 AM »
Actually there are a couple of companies that make woodstoves for RV's. Here is a link to an article about someone who lives in his fulltime in Alaska, and the woodstove he installed in it:

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/install-kimberly-wood-stove-motorhome/ 
Wood-Mizer LT40HD26     Polaris 6x6 Big Boss
Ariens 34 Ton Splitter       Stihl 460, 261, 70

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
2007 Pig Roast Campers!!!

Started by Mrs._Stump_Jumper on General Board

15 Replies
Last post July 27, 2007, 07:01:24 PM
by Stump Jumper
xx
Can I get a count? - Pigroast Campers

Started by Wildflower on General Board

12 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 06:43:48 AM
by tyb525